Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at KOA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
If you are a Costco member, the Kailua-Kona location has the cheapest gas on the Big Island and is close enough to KOA to fill up before returning your car. https://www.costco.com/warehouse-loc...na-hi-140.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at KOA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:10 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
KOA is a decent station but pretty spartan. There's no Gold Canopy or Ultimate Choice service there, so you'll need to get your keys from the Gold Desk. As a PC member with a mid-size reservation, I would expect you to be assigned a full-size car like a Nissan Altima or a mid-size SUV like a Nissan Rogue.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
KOA is a decent station but pretty spartan. There's no Gold Canopy or Ultimate Choice service there, so you'll need to get your keys from the Gold Desk. As a PC member with a mid-size reservation, I would expect you to be assigned a full-size car like a Nissan Altima or a mid-size SUV like a Nissan Rogue.
We returned from a week plus a day on Kona two days ago. We had extended our stay by one day due to a significant drop in airfare (AS) and Hertz had little inventory so we were stuck with renting for one day on points and then switching cars to maintain our $179 all-in rate for the seven-day rental.

In both cases my name was on the board and the keys were in the car so check-out and return were both quite seamless. Our one-day rental was a decent GM SUV with about 3,000 miles. The one-week was a 2017 Hyundai Sonata with 18,000 miles and lots of little scratches, but it ran fine for the 400 miles we drove here and there.

It's nice that Costco with "bargain" $2.99 gas is only three miles from the airport. @:-)
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fredd

It's nice that Costco with "bargain" $2.99 gas is only three miles from the airport. @:-)
Thats a great tip, thanks! Also glad to hear they do have a Gold board, and hopefully keys in car. As I'll be flying in from Europe, AMS-IAH-SFO-KOA, I'll be quite tired at that points and would not like waiting for too long haha.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Thats a great tip, thanks! Also glad to hear they do have a Gold board, and hopefully keys in car. As I'll be flying in from Europe, AMS-IAH-SFO-KOA, I'll be quite tired at that points and would not like waiting for too long haha.
Even the gold line can be quite slow in KOA... lots of folks tend to have questions.

Best of luck- and enjoy! For those renting the next two months and counting on cheaper fuel at Costco, remember they are closed on certain days (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day) and the gas station follows this as well. Has thrown me off before, and had to fill up at the Chevron

They do an id check at the booth when heading out. Typically moves pretty quick.
AndDee likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Completed a rental at KOA this week.
Booked F
Received F (Nissan Altima) 9000 miles on the odo.

My name was on the Gold board, and keys in car. Could drive straight to exit, no wait whatsoever, I was pleased with it.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:20 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Any idea what the current convertible options are at KOA? Just made a reservation for a week in Sep and plan to use points. Camaro? Chrysler? Just wondering if it's worth a call over to the manager to request something special -- thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experiences? I have a F car reservation for this weekend and am PC so curious what if anything I can score an upgrade to. I'll be sure to report back.

Edit: so they wound up giving me a 2018 Chevy Equinox with only a few thousand miles on the odometer.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jul 13, 2018 at 1:06 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:33 pm

Completed a week-long rental in May out of KOA, booked a Q4. I got a Nissan Rogue with a little under 9,000 miles on it.

At first the agent assigned me a new Mazda CX5 but later realized he chose the wrong person's booking.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hertz Kona (KOA) Airport, Hawaii
August 2018

Name not on the board, no text message with pre-assigned car.

Went into the office. Hertz.com rate for my dates was now $100 cheaper. Branch wouldn't match it so I canceled my existing reservation and made a new booking. I booked a full-size car and received a four-door Jeep Wrangler Sahara with about 2,200 miles on it.

My colleague who is also President's Circle and also booked a full-size received a Nissan Armada SUV. He asked about a GMC Yukon XL or Chevrolet Suburban (they had several), but was told it would be $50 extra per day.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Originally Posted by hts
Any idea what the current convertible options are at KOA? Just made a reservation for a week in Sep and plan to use points. Camaro? Chrysler? Just wondering if it's worth a call over to the manager to request something special -- thanks.
What did you end up getting? I'm booked for a convertible next month.
Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Kona Airport - KOA

Booked an FCAR. Despite the rental car lots being really close to the terminal you have to take a shuttle bus. My name wasn't on the board (and neither was the other Gold member on the bus) so I went inside. All they had for me was an Nissan Altima or some SUVs. Took the Altima which was fine, though obviously nothing exciting or special. Employees here are pretty friendly.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Reserved an FCar and got a Nissan Pathfinder (crossover) with about 16k miles. Car was fine, but it wouldn’t have been my first choice.

My name was on the gold board (PC) and I was in and out quickly.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:21 pm

KOA Group F4

HI all

Looking to book the following class at KOA airport. Any idea what model this will be and whether it will be 4 wheel drive?

Fullsize Recreational Vehicle (Group L4) FRAR
(L4) Nissan Pathfinder or similar

thanks
JB

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 20, 2019 at 6:34 pm Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old May 24, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Plat, HH Gold
Booked U4 car at KOA, got Camaro SS.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Honestly not the widest selection, but fantastic and generous staff.

Booking on 5/22: Booked Intermediate, got a Nissan Sentra. Asked for an upgrade and received an Infiniti Q50. Returned since the cargo space was a bit small, got a Ford Flex instead. Swapped one more time since the Flex gobbled fuel, got a 300C (which wasn't much better funny enough)

Booking on 5/27: Booked Group G4, received a free upgrade to a Mustang GT Convertible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.