Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige vehicles guaranteed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Prestige vehicles guaranteed?

To what extent are specific prestige vehicles guaranteed?

I reserved an E-Class Mercedes, but when I went to pick it up this morning, they said that they rented it to someone else they day before, and gave me an SRX instead. Granted, it was a brand new SRX, but I would've preferred the E-class, and I was paying the E-Class rate for a cheaper SRX.

What's the point of reserving a specific model if they don't have it on hand (methinks they upsold it to someone else).
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Why did you pay the E-Class rate for a cheaper SRX?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Why did you pay the E-Class rate for a cheaper SRX?
I had forgotten about the rate being cheaper until I had driven the car off the lot, and later after re-checking the website, was unable to reproduce the exact cheaper rate so I couldn't provide proof. However, I can still argue that the E-class is always relatively more expensive than the SRX, so perhaps they can give me a proportional adjustment.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
However, I can still argue that the E-class is always relatively more expensive than the SRX, so perhaps they can give me a proportional adjustment.
A very reasonable request. Good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
To what extent are specific prestige vehicles guaranteed?

I reserved an E-Class Mercedes, but when I went to pick it up this morning, they said that they rented it to someone else they day before, and gave me an SRX instead. Granted, it was a brand new SRX, but I would've preferred the E-class, and I was paying the E-Class rate for a cheaper SRX.

What's the point of reserving a specific model if they don't have it on hand (methinks they upsold it to someone else).
I would definitely follow-up with Platinum CS. Prestige vehicles are specifically guaranteed by what you reserve. To be told the E-class was "rented to someone else" doesn't wash at all, even more so as a Platinum.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I would definitely follow-up with Platinum CS. Prestige vehicles are specifically guaranteed by what you reserve. To be told the E-class was "rented to someone else" doesn't wash at all, even more so as a Platinum.
Thanks UAPremExecFlyer for the tip, will do.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Plat desk credited me back the difference.

Next time should this happen again, I'll talk to the station manager. Was in a rush that day, so I just went with the SRX.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:19 pm

Sweet that they fixed it so quickly. Hertz is usually awesome with the CS.

Surprised the person that gave you the wrong car didn't throw something in for you. What location was it?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spunwasi
Sweet that they fixed it so quickly. Hertz is usually awesome with the CS.

Surprised the person that gave you the wrong car didn't throw something in for you. What location was it?
DCA.

Well, at least the SRX was brand new... But my experience at DCA has been pretty spotty.

What do people recommend as reasonable compensation, should this happen again? I reserved another car this weekend, hopefully the same thing won't occur again, but I'd like to have an appropriate response if it does.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Feb 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
DCA.

Well, at least the SRX was brand new... But my experience at DCA has been pretty spotty.

What do people recommend as reasonable compensation, should this happen again? I reserved another car this weekend, hopefully the same thing won't occur again, but I'd like to have an appropriate response if it does.
I'd want something more than just the difference, given:

1. they guarantee make and model;
2. you're ending up with a worse vehicle in most cases, which spoils the whole rental experience.

Effectively you want reimbursement of the lost opportunity. I'm not sure thow much that should be, but thinking about it as I type, at least a day's free adrenalin or prestige rental would be a minimum.

Whether you or Hertz feel that's reasonable or not is another story, as is whether they would give you that.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:40 pm

Moved

Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
I've wondered about this myself.... I've reserved an Escalade for a trip out of SLC during June of next year and I'm wondering what'll happen if I fly into the airport and there are none available? That would make their "reserve this exact model" feature kind of worthless/meaningless. If its actually a guarantee, then it should be backed up with decent compensation should the guarantee be broken. I'm curious how many people here have reserved a Prestige vehicle and was given something else when they arrived at the car rental facility?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:23 am

A few years ago, I had reserved an Audi A6 at LAX and they were not able to provide it, so they gave me an Audi A8. If I were forced to take a downgrade and the particular car was important, I would ask for a refund.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have never had an issue with a Prestige car not being what I have reserved.

At any of the large locations you should be fine as they normally have enough spares to go around
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
Originally Posted by AndDee
I have never had an issue with a Prestige car not being what I have reserved.

At any of the large locations you should be fine as they normally have enough spares to go around
Thats good to hear considering the guarantee doesn't appear to be backed by anything. I'll stop worrying about it until I actually experience an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.