FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Phasing Out Presidents Circle? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1301543-phasing-out-presidents-circle.html)

Hagaphus Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Phasing Out Presidents Circle?

Picked up my rental in Miami today. As usual, car was not in President's Circle spot...several rows over. Saw a rep as I made the trek and asked him why the car wasn't in the PC stalls. His answer was "We don't have PC anymore...we are only doing Gold Choice or Prestige Collection"

Is this a trend?

Happy to report that I actually did get an upgrade :) (usually get it about 25% of the time...even though it is "guaranteed" by PC status....)

drzoidberg Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

So what kind of Prestige class upgrade did you receive?

dayone Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Hertz should have mixed in a few nicer cars and made it 5*/PC Choice instead of Gold Choice. It might have eliminated some of the upgrade problems, and questions from infrequent renters. It also might lead to more upgrade sales to Golds.

Hagaphus Jan 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Only got a one class car upgrade. I'm concerned that they are now doing away with the benefits of having a closer spot (even though my rental is rarely in one..) and getting an upgrade without having to "pick through" those that are left by anyone that has a gold membership regardless of status. Looks to me like the later your flight is, the less of an opportunity you will have at a nicer car...

BTW - I confirmed with Hertz's Executive line that PC are GUARANTEED an upgrade..5* upgrades are subject to availability. Unfortunately, most agents in the field do not seem to know the difference.... Debating them has become very tiresome

rcspeirs Jan 13, 2012 4:28 am

" that PC are GUARANTEED an upgrade.. "

I think the small print also includes "at these listed locations", and you need to check the list. Obviously the major airports are in the list, but not every single location - certainly not in Europe.
I use a lot of locations which are not included in the guarantee list, and upgrades occur only about half the time.

DJMeatBall Jan 13, 2012 7:03 am

It sounds like PC isn't going away as much as some stations are just doing away with dedicated amenities & areas for PC's (such as parking spots close to where the bus drops off at the airport).

drzoidberg Jan 13, 2012 7:25 am

Also, Platinum, according to the T&C, has the same upgrades as PC.

DJMeatBall Jan 13, 2012 7:30 am

I could easily imagine Presidents Circle eventually being merged with Platinum within the next year or so. Right now the similar tiers & benefits are confusing.

idealflyer Jan 13, 2012 1:58 pm

What good is a promised perk if you have to fight for it?

I have not noticed much difference between Gold and PC honestly. My upgrades happen about 10% of the time without me going to the counter and reminding them. And I still get questions as to what pc code will I be using for the upgrade. When upgrade does happen, my midsize got upgraded to a Mazda 3 or Corolla which makes me think their car classes are so vague and random.

I'm trying really hard not to compare PC with Avis Chairmans but Avis wins hands down. Just too bad they don't have better rates and discounts like Hertz has in my travel markets.

docbert Jan 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 17805751)

I think the small print also includes "at these listed locations", and you need to check the list. Obviously the major airports are in the list, but not every single location - certainly not in Europe.

I've never seen that listed, and checking on the website I can't see any mention of such a list. The only condition I can see on the guaranteed upgrades are that "Benefits apply to Economy through Full-Size vehicles".

The "Guaranteed reservations" benefit is at "participating locations" only.

planecrashlaw Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by idealflyer (Post 17808821)
I'm trying really hard not to compare PC with Avis Chairmans but Avis wins hands down.

I don't spend much time thinking about rental cars, but do the car companies do "status matches" the same way airlines (occasionaly) do?

I only rent from major airport locations a few times a year, otherwise HLEs or small stations. PC perks are almost zero. Happy to go elsewhere.

vrundmc Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 17805751)

I use a lot of locations which are not included in the guarantee list, and upgrades occur only about half the time.

My guaranteed upgrade has only about 50% of my rentals as a PC member.

tassojunior Feb 2, 2012 8:25 am

Hence PC's Utter Failure

Originally Posted by vrundmc (Post 17839116)
My guaranteed upgrade has only about 50% of my rentals as a PC member.

At National Executive Elite has it's own free premium select aisle.

At Hertz the premium select part of Gold Choice aisle costs up to $60/day additional.

Come on Hertz ! Get real.

Crazyhotelguy Feb 3, 2012 11:03 am

I have been debating leaving Hertz for the past two years. It is a difficult decision based on market coverage. I would love a status match opportunity to potentiallysway me away....

That said, I had a first last week. At ORF, I was told upfront that they were limited on cars and thus I did not get an upgrade. For my troubles I received a certificate for 250 Miles/points to the program of my choice.

The thought was appreciated.

DODiraq Feb 3, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 17945934)
I have been debating leaving Hertz for the past two years. It is a difficult decision based on market coverage. I would love a status match opportunity to potentiallysway me away....

That said, I had a first last week. At ORF, I was told upfront that they were limited on cars and thus I did not get an upgrade. For my troubles I received a certificate for 250 Miles/points to the program of my choice.

The thought was appreciated.

Quick search shows that national status match from avis or hertz

https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/

come on over to the GREEN side