Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Accused of (pre-existing) damage under the bumper!

Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Just returned a Mercedes C300(booked premium, but received this car which was a pleasant surprise) this afternoon at YVR. All was good until the inspector said that there was damage in the underside of the right front bumper. I examined the front bumper and did not see anything until he told me to look under it. So I kneeled down and was able to see quite a bit of scratches. I knew this was not caused by me, but he noted it down on the paper and told me to bring it into the office. So at the counter I told the lady that the scratch is preexisting, and there was no way I could have seen that during the walkaround before pick up unless I crawled around the car. So she told me to put down what I was telling her on the damage report as she was not the person to make the decision. I asked my wife to go take some pictures of the car from a normal angle and from the ground up while I filled out the damage report. She said another inspector walked by and told her he doesn't think it would be right for Hertz to bill me for that either.

Anyone else has a similar experience? Can they just charge my credit card(Amex Plat) and make me pay for the damage? I am determined to fight this to the end if they really bill me for this damage that I did not cause. Is there anything I can do now?

Last edited by bradcc; Jan 30, 2012 at 1:18 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:20 am

They can just charge your card for damage, but most often you will see some back and forth first.

I don't know a single rental that doesn't have scratches on the underside of the front bumper and the fact that someone called it out during check in says a lot because they would either have to know it was there or crawled under to look at it.

I wonder which location this was.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:01 am

Just keep repeating that it was pre-existing. Whatever you do, don't say you were unaware of it at pickup.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
They can just charge your card for damage, but most often you will see some back and forth first.

I don't know a single rental that doesn't have scratches on the underside of the front bumper and the fact that someone called it out during check in says a lot because they would either have to know it was there or crawled under to look at it.

I wonder which location this was.
Yeah, I've rented from Hertz and Avis hundreds of times and I've never had a problem before.

The inspector said he saw the damage as I pulled into the lot. It's at a spot where you can only see if you crawl under or stand far away from the front.

This was at YVR airport location
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bradcc
Just returned a Mercedes C300(booked premium, but received this car which was a pleasant surprise) this afternoon at YVR. All was good until the inspector said that there was damage in the underside of the right front bumper. I examined the front bumper and did not see anything until he told me to look under it. So I kneeled down and was able to see quite a bit of scratches. I knew this was not caused by me, but he noted it down on the paper and told me to bring it into the office. So at the counter I told the lady that the scratch is preexisting, and there was no way I could have seen that during the walkaround before pick up unless I crawled around the car. So she told me to put down what I was telling her on the damage report as she was not the person to make the decision. I asked my wife to go take some pictures of the car from a normal angle and from the ground up while I filled out the damage report. She said another inspector walked by and told her he doesn't think it would be right for Hertz to bill me for that either.

Anyone else has a similar experience? Can they just charge my credit card(Amex Plat) and make me pay for the damage? I am determined to fight this to the end if they really bill me for this damage that I did not cause. Is there anything I can do now?
Exactly the same scam that they pulled on me in YVR in 2005, I believe it was Budget not Hertz though. I had to pay $600 for the repair of a minuscule scratch that you could only see if you got down on the ground and looked up under the bumper. I was able to make a claim for it later on my credit card insurance by submitting the British Columbia Insurance Corp claim form that the rental agent printed on of his computer at the counter.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:10 pm

Hm...I've never had Hertz even do a walk-around with me :-|

This only happen at smaller locations? Usually it's just gassed up, keys in the car. Where were you renting at? Sounds like a franchisee trying to scam someone.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I had this happen once with Hertz, in LAX. The guy tried to tell me this tiny (and I mean tiny) chip on the windshield was my liability. I made it very clear (verbally forcefully) what I thought of that, to him and the supervisor. They dropped it. Being President's Circle may have been an advantage.

In your case I'm suspicious because of the upgrade and the inspection. A comp upgrade to any Prestige Collection vehicle is practically unheard of. And how did they discover the damage? I've seen plenty of walkarounds, but NEVER seen a return agent get on his knees and look under the bumper!

Mercedes C300 is a Prestige Collection vehicle. My experience (50+ rentals a year, all USA) is that there is an upgrade wall around the Prestige vehicles, making them unattainable without paying an upgrade fee. Especially when you consider that Premium G class has three compable upgrade classes: Premier Premium H, Special Premier Premium YH, and Luxury I. The latter 2 include Cadillac CTS and DTS and some BMWs.

I think they discovered this undocumented damage from a previous rental and decided to stick it on you.

It may be that Amex insurance will just pay the claim. But there are things they won't pay, like loss of use fees. Maybe you can tell Hertz you won't fight the claim in exchange for them agreeing to accept insurance payment in full, relieving you of any extra costs. This would be a smart deal for them.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Rut -

Prestige Vehicles are often given as upgrades. in the last year, I would say at least 5 of my upgrades (10%) have been to prestige. Also, with a lot the size of YVR, they wouldn't know the car coming in.

Just keep repeating the truth and follow through. You won't have any problems.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Prestige Vehicles are often given as upgrades. in the last year, I would say at least 5 of my upgrades (10%) have been to prestige.
Where? What vehicles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.