Reserved mid-size, received Chevy Cruze?

Old Aug 22, 11, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Reserved mid-size, received Chevy Cruze?

Title says it all. I flew up to SLC on Friday, had reserved a mid-size, and in my spot (5*) was a Chevy Cruze.

It was pretty new, only 5,000 miles on it, and fully loaded, leather seats, sat radio, etc. But still it seemed very cramped.

Usually I get something like a Ford Taurus, and this was quite a letdown.

I'm sure I've seen a post somewhere that listed the types of cars that fall into the different classes, but I can't seem to find it. Something like that would help explain what we could expect.
Old Aug 22, 11, 11:53 am

Programs: United, Southwest, Hertz, Starwood, Best Western
Yes, Chevy Cruze is a C with Hertz, you need to be legless if you sit behind me if I am driving in one, but if it is just me traveling I won't argue with getting one. Also the 2011 Mazda 3's are C's now in many areas.
Old Aug 22, 11, 12:06 pm

I wouldn't mind a new loaded Chevy Cruze. From what I heard it is a nice car. Basically an Opel Astra. I used to own one and that was really nice. I know Americans find it to be a bit small.

But here are the links you were looking for.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...011-fleet.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ss-list-2.html
Old Aug 22, 11, 3:04 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Cruze is going to be a Mid anywhere. This class creep is long since complete where Corollas, Sentras, etc are in Midsize. If you "usually" (recently) get something like a Ford Taurus for a Midsize you've been getting a lot of upgrades. Today's Taurus is starting to be used as Premium in a lot of places, and it's at least a Full Size. Even the old one was Full Size for many years.

If you want a bigger car than this you have to go up to Standard or Full.

BTW your car with leather, etc. was probably YC as opposed to plain C, which does constitute an upgrade of sorts by Hertz policy. You may be able to see this on the receipt.
Old Aug 22, 11, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Ok, thanks for the replies, and the link to what we may expect.

I just find it odd that Hertz considers this vehicle a mid-size. In looking at sites such as Wikipedia, the vehicle is clearly called a subcompact or compact. I'd hate to see what I'd receive if I actually reserve something smaller.
Old Aug 23, 11, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
I actually love this car! I have been upgraded to them at JAX & TUL recently on compact rentals. Frankly, I'd take the Cruze any day over the Taurus, Impala, etc. Additionally, assuming you're not using the back seat, they feel very roomy to me. The seats go back a long way and are really comfortable. The interior is designed very well. Is GM starting to get its $%^& together?
Old Aug 24, 11, 3:52 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Ok, thanks for the replies, and the link to what we may expect.

I just find it odd that Hertz considers this vehicle a mid-size. In looking at sites such as Wikipedia, the vehicle is clearly called a subcompact or compact. I'd hate to see what I'd receive if I actually reserve something smaller.
This is an age-old discussion. What the rental companies use for car classifications doesn't necessarily match up with the traditional EPA and similar subcompact/compact/mid/full anymore, except maybe on the full size end. It really depends upon the car, though. The Cruze is probably at the large end of compact if that's where it fits. Todays subs like a Ford Fiesta or whatever are at least much better equipped than they used to be, even if they are still small.

At this point I don't know what they typically give out for class B (compact) and class A (economy) because I don't bother to rent them. How they can differentiate between these anymore, apart from equipment, I'm not sure.
Old Aug 24, 11, 10:41 pm

I work at hertz at the Ft. lauderdale location. i have a window sticker from a cruze and it say's midsize. Lol. i myself think they are to small for midsize. I believe they are going by the prices for the car classes. The ltz cruzes are almost $23,000.
Old Aug 29, 11, 4:34 pm

FYI this car was Intermediate class with Budget. Liked the feel of the transmission and it was easy on the wallet when it came to filling it up at the end of the rental.
Old Jun 13, 12, 5:35 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by CrazyOne View Post
BTW your car with leather, etc. was probably YC as opposed to plain C, which does constitute an upgrade of sorts by Hertz policy. You may be able to see this on the receipt.
I switched out a YC tagged Cruze (1LT with Neverlost and Sirius, but cloth seats) from RDU tonight at CLT because the Neverlost froze up and then when I finally got it to turn off, it would not turn back on. I was given another 2012 Cruze with NL and SIR, but this one also had leather as well (presumably 2LT) and was only tagged as C .

Agree that it does seem a bit cramped, but having been stuck with a Chevy Sonic a few days ago, it is minimally and miles ahead of it at the same time. If the Sonic is a compact car (which compared to the Yaris and Mazda 2, I suppose it isn't economy), then the Cruze is certainly mid-size.

I have to admit to liking the Cruze (and I'm a bit of a car snob). The gauges and audio/climate stack may be slightly dated compared to the near rival Sonic, but it feels like a real car, has a perky [even if slow] engine (thanks to the turbo), and gets downright impressive gas mileage (800 miles, good mix of very heavy footed city and highway driving, average of 32 mpg). The downside is pretty pitiful handling, though braking is solid and linear.

Last edited by NDDomer86; Jun 13, 12 at 5:42 am
Old Jun 13, 12, 7:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Sounds like you got the 2LT or LTZ... so technically an upgrade to YC

FWIW at SLC I got a really cheap upgrade from F to a Corvette in December, and last month I was given a YF Impala LTZ on a F reservation. From what else I've heard they're usually okay when it comes to upgrades, but if I were 5* I'd be disappointed too (in April I got a F-tagged Fusion on a C rental at MLB, for instance). All of my experiences are without status, just using the USAA CDP.

-J.
Old Jun 13, 12, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 View Post
I switched out a YC tagged Cruze (1LT with Neverlost and Sirius, but cloth seats) from RDU tonight at CLT because the Neverlost froze up and then when I finally got it to turn off, it would not turn back on. I was given another 2012 Cruze with NL and SIR, but this one also had leather as well (presumably 2LT) and was only tagged as C .

Agree that it does seem a bit cramped, but having been stuck with a Chevy Sonic a few days ago, it is minimally and miles ahead of it at the same time. If the Sonic is a compact car (which compared to the Yaris and Mazda 2, I suppose it isn't economy), then the Cruze is certainly mid-size.

I have to admit to liking the Cruze (and I'm a bit of a car snob). The gauges and audio/climate stack may be slightly dated compared to the near rival Sonic, but it feels like a real car, has a perky [even if slow] engine (thanks to the turbo), and gets downright impressive gas mileage (800 miles, good mix of very heavy footed city and highway driving, average of 32 mpg). The downside is pretty pitiful handling, though braking is solid and linear.
I received a fully loaded 2012 focus at YQM a few months back and it was tagged as a C; most locations have the SEL versions tagged as YC (Leather, SIR, reverse cam etc).

I believe some stations just tag A B C F P, and that the YC YF YP games are unkown to them.
Old Jun 13, 12, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
+ 1, I love the Cruise. Especially when it is fully loaded. It is one of the better cars to have while driving around DC!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: