Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I had a serious failure with my EWR reservation this morning (1:30 a.m. pick-up; one-way into Manhattan). When I reached the EWR lot, the assigned car (from the email/SMS notification) was nowhere to be found in the designated On Demand stalls. I called Member Care and was told there was nothing they could do. I gate them the tags of the On Demand car that I could find in the lot, but they weren't willing to release it to me. I was told that I would need to catch a cab.

I ended up booking a regular one-way from the EWR desk; I am asking On Demand for full reimbursement of this. Wish me luck...
To be fair, I should report that Member Care did fully reimburse me for the regular Hertz rental, plus the cost of refueling the car before I turned it in. ^

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
One of the enhancements I have noticed recently is when booking one-way from Manhattan they show zero availability in the Manhattan garages but they can book you one when you make a phone booking which also attracts a $3 fee.
I have noticed that one-ways from Manhattan are just about impossible to book these days; thanks for clueing me in about the phone booking option (but a serious to the $3 charge).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
First experience with HOD - registered online this past Saturday and made reservation for Manhattan upper west side for next day Sunday morning for 3 hour rental - wanted to visit my Dads' grave on the 4th anniversary of his passing away. HOD customer service advised me that as I wanted the car within 3 days of registering, I needed to go to a normal Hertz office and use the HOD Kiosk to verify my license (from England).

So went into West 77th street office - very efficient, sort of a Skype set up video link to HOD customer service agent - held up my license and passport to the screen so agent could read details - whole process took 3 minutes.

Next morning went to 97th street/West End Ave garage - no car !!!!!!!!!!! I call HOD and they advise there was a mechanical issue - and that they could give me another car from 93rd street/Central park west garage location.

I said I would need to take a taxi as I was with my mother who uses a walker - and that I would want re-imbursing for taxi going and coming back to 97th street - no problem at all. (I emailed receipts yesterday, so I will see how fast they re-imburse).

Got a better car than my original rental (at the absolute bargain rate of $8/hr) - but VERY filthy inside with stains on the seat. And only 1/8 tank of gas.

Car drove well - a Chevy Cruise I think it was called. When I went to get gas, tried to use the fuel card, but when i put in details, my pin and odometer reading, card was not accepted. Paid $5 cash for 1.3 gallons (New Jersey cheap petrol) - submitted receipt by email for re-imbursement.

I wound up giving car back 20 minutes late - for which I was charged. However, without my asking, when the invoice for the rental was generated (by email) a 2nd invoice also showed a credit of 1hr for inconvenience of not having original car at the original garage.

Pending receipt of refunds for taxi and gas - overall, I thought customer service and the overall experience good - and for NYC a bargain at $25 for 3+ hours, including insurance and gas.

Last edited by forextrader; Jul 24, 2013 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
One of the enhancements I have noticed recently is when booking one-way from Manhattan they show zero availability in the Manhattan garages but they can book you one when you make a phone booking which also attracts a $3 fee.
Thanks for the tip - wish I had read this thread a few days ago. I tried to get a 1 hour rental from manhattan to newark airport on sunday but nothing available. Wound up taking the train from Penn Station - but what a crowd!! Turned out the Mets played vs Philadelphia - the game had ended about 1hr before - and these were all the Philly fans going back home (to Trenton) - I waited 15 minutes more for the next local train, which was empty. During my 15min wait managed to find the 1 working AC vent in Penn station and camped right underneath it LOL.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I recently had my first (and possibly last) experience with HOD, at a neighborhood location in DC.

The car was FILTHY, unknown sticky substances all over, food wrappers, etc even an odor of smoke (not the tobacco kind).

The car also had a number of fairly major dents, scratches and other body damage.

Upon return there were three different accounting errors on my invoice which required a 30 minute call to customer service to fix. FYI, if you are hoping to use the advertised first free hour promotion from the website, prepare to call to get it credited back.

In my experience they also placed a hold on my credit card the day before my rental, which seemed a little out of line with their cancellation policy of "at least five minutes notice before the start of your reservation"

Overall, I found this experience inferior to the other car-sharing/short-term rental options in DC and probably will not use it again.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Tonight was my final episode with HOD. I have a one way rental from LGA to EWR. Of course I get the email that there are no cars. Now in the past when going into Manhattan I've been given the choice of either a cab (up to $50) or arrange to take a Hertz vehicle. I call CS which is usually very good but this time its nothing but holds and hangups. Finally I am told to take a cab, which is not practical between the two airports. No other option, told no supervisor on duty, take it or leave it. And no cars in Manhattan either as an alternative.

So I did a Hertz one way on my own ($142) and was told that I would need to appeal to "upper management" to get reimbursed. I want the difference between the $142 and the original cost of the HOD rental (comes out to around $100). At the very least, the $50 allowed for cab fare. Any suggestions on how and who to take this matter to at HOD. You can PM if you prefer.

Last edited by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George; Jul 27, 2013 at 1:41 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Oh, and now the website is in French and I can't get it to change to English.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:44 am

If you use social media, I've found their Facebook rep to be very responsive. My concerns/complaints posted on their page have been responded to via private communication and escalated to Member Care. If you see my post a little bit up, Member Care had no problem paying for ALL of my regular Hertz rental and the gas I used when 24/7 stranded me at EWR last month. Good luck!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If you use social media, I've found their Facebook rep to be very responsive. My concerns/complaints posted on their page have been responded to via private communication and escalated to Member Care. If you see my post a little bit up, Member Care had no problem paying for ALL of my regular Hertz rental and the gas I used when 24/7 stranded me at EWR last month. Good luck!
I also find an email to customer service also works well.
I had a couple of issues early on ... but all got taken care quickly, including gas/petrol reimbursements.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:48 am

never do o/w rentals, i had 2 one way reservations (booked a few days in advance) cancelled 2 minutes before scheduled pick up
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Curious about one way rentals in the NYC area between the burbs and airport. For example, both New Rochelle and Stamford have 24/7 operations. However, I can never book a one way rental out of these locations. When I select the one way options, they don't show at all either on pick up or drop off. Same thing with any of the other locations in Westchester or Fairfield County. And I've tried a lot of different dates.

You'd think that could be a pretty lucrative as they could get a car going back and forth multiple times a day.

Has any one done this?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious about one way rentals in the NYC area between the burbs and airport. For example, both New Rochelle and Stamford have 24/7 operations. However, I can never book a one way rental out of these locations. When I select the one way options, they don't show at all either on pick up or drop off. Same thing with any of the other locations in Westchester or Fairfield County. And I've tried a lot of different dates.

You'd think that could be a pretty lucrative as they could get a car going back and forth multiple times a day.

Has any one done this?
Most Hertz 24/7 locations don't allow one-ways. Hertz doesn't make that very clear in its marketing, but I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) locations that allow one-ways are actually staffed regular Hertz locations.

Most 24/7 locations are unstaffed outposts with only 1-3 vehicles that operate on essentially the same model as Zipcar (notwithstanding all of Hertz's bluster about how they offer one-ways and Zipcar doesn't).
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:23 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
How does one activate their key fob?

After perusing this thread, I wish I'd read it before I signed up; it seems as though the program has some issues that need to be worked out.

Anyway, I got the key fob in the mail the other day and need to have it activated. Can any Hertz airport location do this or are there specific 24/7 locations that one must go to? I signed up primarily because there are times when an hour or two rental is enough on trips to DC/NY, etc. and I don't necessarily want to spend the money on a car that will otherwise sit in a hotel parking garage racking up daily parking charges and there are a number of 24/7 locations either in or very close to the DC hotels I usually stay in.

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered, but the thread is rather long.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by us2
Anyway, I got the key fob in the mail the other day and need to have it activated.
I'm not familiar with Hertz 24/7 key fobs (I have a card, not a fob). But what makes you think there is some kind of activation needed? Presumably as long as you have current credit card and driver's license info in their system, it'll just work. Unless there are instructions in the mailing that say it needs activation?

Last edited by themicah; Sep 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Most Hertz 24/7 locations don't allow one-ways. Hertz doesn't make that very clear in its marketing, but I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) locations that allow one-ways are actually staffed regular Hertz locations.
That's not my experience in Manhattan; all of my rentals are one-ways. There are three Icon garages within five blocks of where I live that have 24/7 cars and I have rented from all of them to get to LGA, JFK, and EWR.

I do think there's not enough "critical mass" to support one-ways from outside of NYC into the five boroughs.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by themicah
I'm not familiar with Hertz 24/7 key fobs (I have a card, not a fob). But what makes you think there is some kind of activation needed? Presumably as long as you have current credit card and driver's license info in their system, it'll just work. Unless there are instructions in the mailing that say it needs activation?
It's been awhile since my first (and only) 24/7 rental, but I don't recall having to visit a Hertz location or do anything special for activation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.