FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect)) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1232947-hertz-24-7-hertz-demand-hertz-connect.html)

FlyinHawaiian Oct 23, 2013 5:17 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974 (Post 21650365)
How long does it typically take for Hertz to reimburse cab fare resulting from a non-available 24/7 rental? I sent in my receipts several weeks ago to Customer Care and have not heard anything back.

No more than a week, IME. I would ping them again; good luck!

Auto Enthusiast Oct 23, 2013 7:47 am

When did you use it last? It doesn’t seem to work anymore, I thought its dead already a while ago.

It's no longer a special. Some locations and dates offer similar rates, booked normally.

GreeNYC Oct 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 21654558)
When did you use it last? It doesn’t seem to work anymore, I thought its dead already a while ago.

It's no longer a special. Some locations and dates offer similar rates, booked normally.

Thanks. Any hint which locations and dates I should look for?

xienon Oct 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by GreeNYC (Post 21656386)
Thanks. Any hint which locations and dates I should look for?

I just tried it for this sunday. Manhattan 55th st location to LGA picking up at 2PM dropping off at midnight. Came out to 25+ tax for a midsize.

The rate only works if you pick up 2PM or after.

NYCTaximan Oct 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I completed my one way rental to LGA. They credited me the $35 but not the taxes linked to the one way fee.

bk3day Oct 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by GreeNYC (Post 21650776)

I used this rate last week (@E40th btwn 1-2nd) and last month (W34th) but ime, hertz.com will not book the ICAP rate when picking up at some corporate locations (E12/University or Lafayette) where it used to & still should be valid.

bk3day Oct 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Apologies if posted elsewhere but I just noticed a slew of changes to 24/7 T&Cs including a $750 deductible.

http://www.hertz247.com/NewYork/en-U...sAndConditions

GreeNYC Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am

Ok thanks all.

RaoulM Nov 4, 2013 4:56 pm

Haven't been all through the thread to see if this is covered (so apologies if this is repeating earlier experience) - Hertz has major issues with one ways to the airport - whether using On Demand / 24/7 or regular Hertz.

In the the case of the former, they will leave you hanging right as your reservation was due to start with "car not available" message. You can wait for 40 mins trying to get an agent, or you can try to find a cab, because Hertz is doing nothing for you at this point. After this happened to me twice, I gave up trying to use HOD for one ways to EWR from Manhattan. After lots of exchanges I finally got to a regional VP who explained that their Ts and Cs don't guarantee any car availability - in contrast to standard rental car reservation in NY state.

I have used regular Hertz one way rentals t EWR in the past when they are trying to reposition cars. Availabaility has been much less than normal in the past year and there is ALWAYS a problem at EWR when returning the car as in every case (I have done it 5 or 6 times) they will try and charge you a regular daily one way rate - often north of $200 no matter what the reservation said or you were quoted. I have also paid the $25 one way rate, only to be charged taxes on a normal daily rate - it's a mess and requires you to deal with confused counter staff rather than the rapid return crew.

Buyer beware - for me the hassle outweighs the savings after numerous bad experiences.

silentbob1974 Nov 5, 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 21653945)
No more than a week, IME. I would ping them again; good luck!

Thanks -- I did just that, and this time Customer Care processed the receipts right away, with the credits showing up on my AMEX statement just days layer!

FlyinHawaiian Nov 5, 2013 12:32 pm

Glad it worked out for you,

I did notice something interesting today; I booked a one-way from Manhattan to JFK for later this month and noticed the one-way fee was not appearing; it looks like prices have reverted back to their normal rates. I confirmed this by booking a few more one-ways and also changing an existing one. In all cases, there was no one-way fee (and it dropped off my existing reservation, once I modified it).

I wonder if the powers that be saw the light and listened to the negative feedback and rolled back the fee.

I'm taking screenshots of my reservations showing the lower rates, just in case...

11/9 Update - Got the email confirmation that my one-way to JFK was ready for pickup, but when I went to the garage, the valet said there were no Hertz cars. So, I called Customer Care and canceled my reservation and hopped in a cab. Another free ride!

choatie88 Nov 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Did two EWR-Manhattan one ways the past couple weeks. First one - no car available, called customer service, took a cab and was reimbursed a few days after I submitted the receipt. Second one - changed the reservation as my flight was early, no $35 one way fee. Invoice sent after completion of the rental is back to the old rate. Guess they listened.

They do need to train their staff at EWR though, took them 10 minutes to let me go as they didn't know what to do with the 24/7 car. I think by the time they finally let me through there were 5-6 cars waiting behind me.

UnitedConnection Dec 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Site is now telling me that the "Maximum advanced booking time" for JFK (not sure about other airports) is 10 days. Believe this policy was instituted today, as I was not getting this error this morning.

TerryK Dec 24, 2013 8:13 am

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection (Post 21975823)
Site is now telling me that the "Maximum advanced booking time" for JFK (not sure about other airports) is 10 days. Believe this policy was instituted today, as I was not getting this error this morning.

It is 10 days for all Hertz247 bookings now.@:-)

footastic Dec 27, 2013 11:54 am

Wow i use Hertz24/7 frequently (when I'm staying in a city for work) - I loved being able to book several weeks in advance - the 10 day rule is kind of killing it :(

UnitedConnection Jan 3, 2014 6:14 am

Yeah, sort of a bizarre rule, but in practice the only real inconvenience is having to set a calendar alert to remind you to book 10 days out. Haven't found that to be too much trouble personally.

a330marcus Apr 14, 2014 8:30 am

Originally Posted by xienon (Post 17394920)
HoD will let you pick up the car early for no extra charge. The earliest I've tried is about 12 minutes.

Zipcar's policy is that you can pick up 14 minutes early with no additional charge on their website. If you're 15 minutes early, they charge you a half hour. I imagine HoD has a similar policy based on my experience but it doesn't state that anywhere on the website.

Does anyone have any recent experience on picking up a Hertz 24/7 car a few minutes early? I called and the agent informed me that Hertz will charge you an extra fee from anywhere between 0.14 and $1 per minute, even if I picked up one minute earlier (which is silly - I have a feeling she is just making the rules up). The new terms and conditions make no mention of an early pickup.

Pathfinder813 Apr 15, 2014 4:01 pm

So, I thought Hertz 24/7 worked this out with me but it turns out that 7 months after the fact, they send me a bill for the fiasco that occurred in September that I posted about before. :mad: It's clear to me that Hertz 24/7 is completely inept at what they do and no one seems to know why I'm being billed again. I'm thinking of complaining to the Better Business Bureau and also file a complaint with the New York Attorney General's Office at this point. All this over a lousy $27.93.

If you're looking to get a one way rental from Manhattan to the airport, Avis and Budget have one way rentals at $45. I've used Avis a couple times and it's worked really well; it took the desk 5 minutes to give me keys, there's no hassle, and everyone is nice. My car going to JFK was a Subaru and coming back from JFK was a brand new Ford Escape with a panoramic sunroof.

You don't have to deal with the tragedy that is Hertz 24/7. :td:

TerryK Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 (Post 21622777)
....By 9:20, she offered me to reimburse me a cab ride but I didn't want to have to deal with that......
Fast forward to October 6, 2013, Hertz 24/7 sends me an invoice for $62.93 with no breakdown of the charges.....

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 (Post 22710149)
So, I thought Hertz 24/7 worked this out with me but it turns out that 7 months after the fact, they send me a bill for the fiasco that occurred in September that I posted about before. :mad: It's clear to me that Hertz 24/7 is completely inept at what they do and no one seems to know why I'm being billed again. I'm thinking of complaining to the Better Business Bureau and also file a complaint with the New York Attorney General's Office at this point. All this over a lousy $27.93....

I am confused. Did Hertz offer to reduce your bill from $62.93 to $27.93? :confused: $27.93 looks about right for a one way rental from Manhattan to LGA.

I also have had several issues with cars not being available with Hertz247. However, Hertz247 is good at reimbursement for cab fare. The only issue is that reimbursement is capped at $50 which means I need to pay about $20 to JFK. JFK is flat rate $52 plus tolls and tips.:(

tlawrence85 May 1, 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 22710215)
However, Hertz247 is good at reimbursement for cab fare.

This has not been my experience. I had an issue with a 1-way rental from Manhattan to Newark, so I was told to take a cab and send the receipt in.

- I wasn't told of the $50 limit on reimbursement - my cab fare after tolls and tip was $88.
- I sent the receipt in the same day, but was told when I called 3 days later that it was not received. I sent it in again, but was again told when I called a week later that it was not received. I sent it in again and was told 2 days later that "it was forwarded to management and call back in a couple of days". All 3 times when I sent my receipt in, I got an automated reply stating my email was received.

So, it's been nearly 2 weeks and still no reimbursement (or even anyone reaching out from Hertz to let me know what they're doing). I've had to follow up multiple times, and it's super frustrating to hear that they've no idea what I'm talking about, and I should resend my email.

FlyinHawaiian May 10, 2014 3:55 am

24/7's already shaky reliability for one-ways from Manhattan to airports has taken a nose-dive for me. I'm now 0/3 in the last month or so (two JFKs and one LGA). I won't use them to EWR due to the taxi refund cap.

In one case, I booked a one-way Hertz HLE to JFK using points; I'm still fighting with Customer Care on getting my ZE1 points back. But for straight taxi refunds, it's been pretty quick for me.

dc2005b Jun 3, 2014 12:54 pm

Hertz on Demand leaves DC

Recently it seems Hertz on Demand has ceased operation in all of DC. All vehicles are unavailable and a call to customer service confirms they are no longer operating in Washington, DC.

The few times I used them there was a problem on each transaction so I will not miss them at all but I wonder who will take over all their parking spaces?

CTNYC Jun 4, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dc2005b (Post 22972196)
Recently it seems Hertz on Demand has ceased operation in all of DC. All vehicles are unavailable and a call to customer service confirms they are no longer operating in Washington, DC.

The few times I used them there was a problem on each transaction so I will not miss them at all but I wonder who will take over all their parking spaces?

Huh - that's interesting. As early as maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago they still had on demand cars at DCA. As for parking spaces, most of them are probably leased, so they will just become normal parking spaces again unless the owner of the parking lot leases that spot out to another carshare service like ZipCar or Enterprise

I think that Hertz missed the ball on carshare because of a combination of their age requirement and trying to do things other carshares weren't (i.e. one ways, FCARs). A decent amount of the Zipcar/Enterprise customers are college students, but Hertz almost entirely excludes this population with their age requirement and no "waiver" for 18-20 yo college students. These college students will most likely continue on with ZipCar or Enterprise post graduation.

Also Hertz simply doesn't have that many cars around like Zipcar does, which brings the convenience factor down quite a bit.

Axey Jun 5, 2014 1:15 pm

Got a notice from Hertz today that 24/7 vehicles "in my area" are no longer available for rent. Went on the website and saw that all the non-HLE 24/7 locations in Denver are now gone. This just 8 short months after they aggressively expanded with dedicated parking spaces around the city....

FlyinHawaiian Jun 8, 2014 5:35 am

I got stranded by Hertz 24/7 at LGA last night when my reserved one-way to Manhattan wouldn't work. I got the dreaded "Issue With Your Reservation" email while on the shuttle from the terminal to the lot. I got on the phone with 24/7 member support and while the agent could see that I had been assigned a car (and I eventually found it on the lot) she could not get the car to accept my credentials so I could start it. After 20 min of trying, the agent gave up and told me to take a cab. I decided to book a normal car from Hertz and will send 24/7 the bill.

The cutbacks on other cities plus the nose-dive in reliability in NYC makes me wonder if this product is long for the world.

TerryK Jun 8, 2014 6:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 22996847)
.......After 20 min of trying, the agent gave up and told me to take a cab. I decided to book a normal car from Hertz and will send 24/7 the bill.....

Officially, Hertz247 only reimburses cab fare up to $50 which is more than enough from LGA. Please update us on how much Hertz247 reimburses you for your rental.:)

FlyinHawaiian Jun 8, 2014 6:31 am

In lieu of cab, I have been successful more than once (you can search my posts in this thread; I suspect it's been at least five times) of having Hertz foot the entire bill of a regular one-day/one-way rental, plus gas when I was stranded at the airport. In each case, that cost was over the $50 taxi cap. I think I make persuasive arguments that 1), it's nigh impossible to get a cab from an airport lot and 2), most of my rentals are late at night.

I submit all of my receipts along with a brief explanation of why a cab wasn't possible. I also was able to get them to refund me the 1,100 ZE1 points that I used for a one-way in lieu of paying, but it took a lot of work to do that.

Quite honestly, Hertz's refund policy is probably the only reason why I still use 24/7.

oldgoldflyer Jun 8, 2014 12:07 pm

How do you get Hertz 24/7 to book the one ways these days? They don't seem to have the availability.

TerryK Jun 8, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer (Post 22998245)
How do you get Hertz 24/7 to book the one ways these days? They don't seem to have the availability.

You need to book early. OW availability is poor.

FlyinHawaiian Jun 8, 2014 5:02 pm

One-ways TO NYC airports are difficult to find availability. One-ways FROM airports are a little easier, but still need to be booked about a day in advance (at least in my experience).

TerryK Jun 8, 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 22999605)
One-ways TO NYC airports are difficult to find availability. One-ways FROM airports are a little easier, but still need to be booked about a day in advance (at least in my experience).

I only book TO airports. I found booking FROM airports problematic simply because I don't know exactly when I will need the car, at least not one day in advance. You cannot make same day booking for OW.:(

FlyinHawaiian Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 22996931)
Officially, Hertz247 only reimburses cab fare up to $50 which is more than enough from LGA. Please update us on how much Hertz247 reimburses you for your rental.:)

I received full compensation for the Hertz rental, but it took a bit more effort than normal. I was told 24/7 compensation is going to be changed for failed one-ways very shortly. The new policy will be reimbursment for out-of-pocket expense LESS the cost one would have paid for the 24/7 with a cap of $50.

So, if the one-way would have been $25 and the cost of the taxi was $30, 24/7 will only reimburse $5.

jackal Jun 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 23025604)
I received full compensation for the Hertz rental, but it took a bit more effort than normal. I was told 24/7 compensation is going to be changed for failed one-ways very shortly. The new policy will be reimbursment for out-of-pocket expense LESS the cost one would have paid for the 24/7 with a cap of $50.

So, if the one-way would have been $25 and the cost of the taxi was $30, 24/7 will only reimburse $5.

That actually seems fair, and I always wondered why they were seemingly too generous with their reimbursements (basically making it almost free if they couldn't deliver). On the other hand, with all of the hassle that you've had to deal with each time 24/7 has failed to work (and even the hassle you've had when they DO work!), I think there should be an extra $10 thrown in...

Reason077 Jun 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Hertz 24/7 in London disappearing?

What's happened to Hertz 24/7 in London?

There used to be quite a few locations in my area (NW6) within walking distance, but I tried to book a car today and found every location within 2-3 miles of me has vanished.

In fact, looking at the map of locations I would say 2/3 to 3/4 of all the London location have disappeared. Only a handful of Central London locations are left, although all the B&Q and Costco ones seem to still be there.

I last used them around 2 months ago and there was no problem finding cars at all then!

Are they shutting down 24/7 in London or is this some kind of temporary glitch?

CTNYC Jun 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Reason077 (Post 23039310)
What's happened to Hertz 24/7 in London?

There used to be quite a few locations in my area (NW6) within walking distance, but I tried to book a car today and found every location within 2-3 miles of me has vanished.

In fact, looking at the map of locations I would say 2/3 to 3/4 of all the London location have disappeared. Only a handful of Central London locations are left, although all the B&Q and Costco ones seem to still be there.

I last used them around 2 months ago and there was no problem finding cars at all then!

Are they shutting down 24/7 in London or is this some kind of temporary glitch?

Looks like they are exiting the carshare business in my eyes... Many cities have no 24/7 cars and there have been reports saying that Hertz sent them emails saying they are no longer in their area.

Reason077 Jun 16, 2014 9:11 am

Originally Posted by CTNYC (Post 23039928)
Looks like they are exiting the carshare business in my eyes... Many cities have no 24/7 cars and there have been reports saying that Hertz sent them emails saying they are no longer in their area.

A great shame if so.

Zipcar are in need of some serious competition in this city, having already absorbed all their other real rivals. Prices are sharply higher and overall availability of cars lower compared to 2-3 years ago when there were more players on the scene.

I think the problem with 24/7 is that it was never marketed very seriously here outside of Hertz's own channels (I think I signed up after seeing it on Hertz's own website) - compared to Zipcar's near-saturation advertising. And the target market for carshare isn't necessarily the same as that of traditional rentals.

CTNYC Jun 16, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Reason077 (Post 23042275)
A great shame if so.

Zipcar are in need of some serious competition in this city, having already absorbed all their other real rivals. Prices are sharply higher and overall availability of cars lower compared to 2-3 years ago when there were more players on the scene.

I think the problem with 24/7 is that it was never marketed very seriously here outside of Hertz's own channels (I think I signed up after seeing it on Hertz's own website) - compared to Zipcar's near-saturation advertising. And the target market for carshare isn't necessarily the same as that of traditional rentals.

Definitely agree- Hertz should be targeting 18-21 yr olds in college, especially those in major cities like DC and New York imo. Many students in a metro area will stay in that metro area after graduating and continue using the particular carshare service they used in college.

ZipCar's pricing has definitely gone up since the acquisition by Avis. 9/10 times I rent a car from DCA now on the weekends when I need a car. I can generally get a Prius or nicer car for ~$25 to $30/day and spend maybe $15 or $20 on gas... Beats the hell out paying ~$100 for a day with Zipcar especially since I get a cleaner, nicer car.

Enterprise CarShare seems to be gaining some ground, at least in the DC area from what I can tell, but still lacks the number of locations that ZipCar has.

FlyinHawaiian Jun 26, 2014 5:48 am

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer (Post 22998245)

It appears they have "turned off" one-way rentals for just about every remaining market via the website and mobile app for the time-being. Not surprising, as they obviously were having problems getting their act together.

Their Facebook site alludes to a "brand relaunch" later this year. Wonder if that means yet another name for this dog of a product. :rolleyes:

themicah Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 23098806)
Their Facebook site alludes to a "brand relaunch" later this year. Wonder if that means yet another name for this dog of a product. :rolleyes:

Another brand relaunch? Fourth time is a charm I guess?

paytonc Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am

An article in Crain's Chicago Business indicates that they may partner with Walgreens for parking spaces, as they did with Lowe's.

"The pilot program in Chicago let customers rent a car via the Hertz site or app. After completing the transaction, customers received a numerical code to type into a keypad from outside the driver-side window or front windshield. The keypad, inside the car, is sensitive enough to pick up the strokes through the glass. The code opens the door; the keys are waiting inside."