Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Frequent Flyer Surcharge

I would like to earn Marriott Rewards points for my upcoming rental. Does Hertz charge surcharge and tax for that? I believe they do that for airlines miles program.

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by uclasfo
I would like to earn Marriott Rewards points for my upcoming rental. Does Hertz charge surcharge and tax for that? I believe they do that for airlines miles program.

Thanks.
You answered your question!
Yes Hertz does.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Actually the surcharge is only for airline programs (and US based programs at that), they don't charge if for Marriott points - or at least I've never paid it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Actually the surcharge is only for airline programs (and US based programs at that), they don't charge if for Marriott points - or at least I've never paid it.
That has been my experience, which is why I almost always credit Marriott instead of United (or any other airline that I have a FFN) for my rentals.

In checking the receipt for my last rental (Saturday), I can validate that there was no surcharge for crediting to Marriott.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2011 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by littlevoices
They do now charge for Air Canada credits
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Ive never seen the surcharge for Marriott
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
How about Amtrak Guest Rewards points? Anyone who collects those ever seen a surcharge for them?
Old May 5, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
they charge a surcharge when they pay a tax on the miles. currently, only airline miles/programs have the tax.

never paid a surcharge for marriott points.

also, you don't pay a tax or fee when you transer #1 points to miles (like at the end of the year so they don't just expire). it's not a 1:1 transfer. but you can get more #1 points than you would miles sometimes so that even with the exchange rate loss, you can come out ahead. i haven't done the math in a few years but i'm sure one of you reading this will spend the few minutes to do it. when you do, post back for us....
Old May 5, 2011, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think that one gets relatively poor value by crediting car rentals to hotel programs, Amtrak, or most domestic airlines unless there is a significant bonus points/miles offer. I regularly credit both Hertz and Avis rentals to Virgin Atlantic, and invariably earn 1,000 miles per rental, even for one-day rentals. No surcharge, either.

Virgin Atlantic miles can be redeemed for travel on a number of airlines, including CO, HA, and US.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I have only seen Marriott experiences here. What about other hotel chains like Hilton?
Old May 9, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not appear that Hertz is participating in HHonors anymore: http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/.../carrentals.do and https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1
Old May 13, 2011, 10:58 pm

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1 gives the details on what programs surcharges are charged for.

The way I read it, they charge only 6 cents per day for AA, DL and United. That would make crediting to these programs attractive for short rentals:
when the renter chooses to receive miles in the American Airlines AAdvantage, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles or United Airlines Mileage Plus programs the Frequent Flyer Surcharge will be calculated based on the Federal Excise Tax expense incurred by Hertz when it purchases miles from American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines. Under the Tax Relief Act of 1997, all companies that purchase Frequent Flyer miles from airlines must pay a 7.5% Excise Tax on the cost of those miles (on average, 6 cents per day).
Old May 14, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1 gives the details on what programs surcharges are charged for.

The way I read it, they charge only 6 cents per day for AA, DL and United. That would make crediting to these programs attractive for short rentals:
Thank you. For some reason I couldn't find that page, and did use their search function. Ah, that was my problem: should have used Google's!.

So here is my summary of the programs I care about:
. #1 Awards: earn 0.83 miles-equivalent each dollar spent, no tax
. MC (Marriott): 500 points/rental, no surcharge
. AA: 1 mile per base rate dollar spent, 7.5% surcharge on 1.5c?/mile in US/CA
. UA: 50 miles/day up to 4 days, 500 miles flat for longer, 7.5% on 1.5x/mile surcharge in US/CA
. DL: 100 miles/day, 7.5% on 1.5x/mile surcharge in US/CA
. CO/AS/US: 50 miles/day up to 4 days, 500 miles flat for longer, $0.75/day up to $5.25 surcharge in US/CA
. LH: 500 miles/rental, no surcharge

So I'm getting MC points for rentals of 5 or less days, DL miles for those >6 days. I'm obviously NOT paying Hertz more for what the miles are worth (the $0.75/day fee)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.