Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rental large enough to move some furniture and boxes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold

I am looking to move back to Florida soon (from NYC) and am looking to take only a few large pieces and some boxes.

I have a nightstand, a dresser and tv stand. Any vehicle from Hertz large enough to comfortably move this stuff? I was looking at possibly the Grand Caravan (MVAR) or Explorer (FRAR). Would either of these be large enough?

Any other suggestions? I've priced out small moving trucks and they cost more than my furniture is even worth.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:24 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
I've moved a small studio apartment in a Tahoe from Hertz before. (After disassembling desk, chair, and a few luggage)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'd have thought a Tahoe/Yukon could probably do it, and a Suburban/Yukon XL could to it with ease.

Not sure about the Exploder - it's not that roomy inside, and the mini vans are more about height than length.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:11 am

Mini-Van

Request one with "stow and go": Caravan or Town and Country.

The Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban/Yukon XL: The seats don't lay down flat and the one way rental will be more expensive than a mini-van.

You may get a Nissan Quest or Sienna. You really want the Chrysler or Dodge for the most room.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:24 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
1 more vote for a minivan, in particular a Chrysler product. With seats stowed they are almost as large inside as the E-Series van that you'd get from U-Haul.

I'm pretty sure that pickups (S) are not typically a reservable class, but you could ask nicely to get a full size truck as well. Hertz stocks mostly Toyota Tundras and F-150s.

I'd avoid the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Yukon XL. They are much worse on fuel and as already stated the seats don't fold down enough to make it worth it.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
1 more for minivan. The Chrysler's rear seats fold flat and the middle row folds into the floor. The Sienna rear seat folds flat, but not the middle row.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: None
yes, something with the rear seats that can fold down.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Grand Caravan is really your best bet. I've moved several times with these and never been let down for space. I moved a small IKEA drawer unit (fully assembled), a disassembled desk and a one-bedroom apartment worth of boxes and suitcases across the country with ease. Try to get as new a vehicle as you can as the performance does suffer when they're fully loaded. We got a van with 300 km on it from National for our move from Vancouver, BC to Toronto, ON and by the end of the trip the acceleration was noticeably more sluggish and the transmission was shifting a lot rougher.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:58 pm

If you go mini-van put it in the note and call the rental location and get yourself a Chrysler Town and Country or a Dodge Caravan. The Town and Country's are decked out to the hilt, the Caravan's are very utilitarian. Both have stow and go seating and automatic doors on both sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.