FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Standard Convertible @ LAX, chances to get Mustang? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1113184-standard-convertible-lax-chances-get-mustang.html)

ruutinuuska Aug 5, 10 11:04 am

Standard Convertible @ LAX, chances to get Mustang?

Hi Folks

Just rented & prepaid standard covertible trough third-party travel portal (Sebring or similar, including insurances etc), picking the car in few weeks from Lax. Has anyone rented a convertible there recently, what are my chances to get a Ford Mustang convertible? If they have one available but resist to give as an free upgrade, how much can I expect to pay for it?

Thanks, kind regards

Foxtbh Aug 5, 10 5:03 pm

I've booked the same thing. The impression I get is that they have more Mustangs than Sebrings. I'm hoping for a 2011 Mustang - 100bhp more power and better gas mileage!

ruutinuuska Aug 6, 10 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Foxtbh (Post 14430406)
I've booked the same thing. The impression I get is that they have more Mustangs than Sebrings. I'm hoping for a 2011 Mustang - 100bhp more power and better gas mileage!

That would certainly be the most fun thing ever. Letīs keep our fingers crossed!

boomstar Aug 7, 10 8:36 pm

Are you a gold member? If not when your at the desk giving them your information just tell them you want a mustang and if they have one avaiable they will give you one for no extra charge as its in the convertible class as well. This has worked for me in the past.

ruutinuuska Aug 9, 10 1:50 am

Originally Posted by boomstar (Post 14440854)
Are you a gold member? If not when your at the desk giving them your information just tell them you want a mustang and if they have one avaiable they will give you one for no extra charge as its in the convertible class as well. This has worked for me in the past.

Not a gold member. Thanks, hopefully they have one available.

AdMEL Aug 11, 10 2:24 pm

I'll preface this by saying I don't know for sure, but given Hertz allow you to specifically book a Mustang convertible, at about double the cost of a Standard convertible, I doubt whether they will be giving you a Mustang when you book a standard convertible (Sebring or similar), but I'd be interested to hear if I'm wrong.

cordelli Aug 11, 10 3:26 pm

Hertz actually calls it

Convertible, STAR - Sebring or Mustang Convertible or similar

which would imply a fairly good chance of getting a mustang.

It totally depends where and when you are renting the car, I've seen the Mustang in the fun collection be only $10 a day more than the regular convertible class, well worth it if you want the mustang.

For August 20 to 23 for example at LAX:

http://i35.tinypic.com/4lht8y.jpg

lax01 Sep 3, 10 10:35 am

Maybe its because I don't notice Sebrings, but I don't believe I've ever seen a Sebring Convertible at LAX Hertz....meanwhile, you feel like you are a Mustang Convertible Dealership there...I bet you won't have a problem...everytime I've gone in and asked if they have a Mustang Coupe (didn't want the convertible), they asked me if I wanted a convertible instead...

sn1ke Sep 6, 10 2:45 am

Originally Posted by AdMEL (Post 14463798)
I'll preface this by saying I don't know for sure, but given Hertz allow you to specifically book a Mustang convertible, at about double the cost of a Standard convertible, I doubt whether they will be giving you a Mustang when you book a standard convertible (Sebring or similar), but I'd be interested to hear if I'm wrong.

I'm a Gold member, and about to get a convertible at LAX.
Hertz offer a guarenteed mustang for a premium price - they also do this for various other cars in the Premium range.
If, however, you book a 'standard' convertible, then you will get whatever they have there, which could well include the Mustang.

What it's best to do, in my experience, is ask the CSR to put a note on the booking/reservation, requesting the car you want if it's available :) (it's worked 4 times out of 5 for me)

skeltonl Apr 15, 11 4:30 am

Originally Posted by sn1ke (Post 14609200)
I'm a Gold member, and about to get a convertible at LAX.
Hertz offer a guarenteed mustang for a premium price - they also do this for various other cars in the Premium range.
If, however, you book a 'standard' convertible, then you will get whatever they have there, which could well include the Mustang.

What it's best to do, in my experience, is ask the CSR to put a note on the booking/reservation, requesting the car you want if it's available :) (it's worked 4 times out of 5 for me)

I currently have a booking for next Friday at LAX for a Mustang Convertible or similar - no mention as previously of a Sebring or Mustang Convertible as previously reported. So any update of the chance of getting the Mustang booked. Thanks

sn1ke Apr 15, 11 4:55 am

Did you specifically book the Mustang category (as opposed to the general 'Convertible' category?

AndDee Apr 15, 11 6:08 am

Originally Posted by skeltonl (Post 16222450)
I currently have a booking for next Friday at LAX for a Mustang Convertible or similar - no mention as previously of a Sebring or Mustang Convertible as previously reported. So any update of the chance of getting the Mustang booked. Thanks

This usually means that the majority of cars in this category will now be Mustangs!

:D

You SHOULD be fine, if not ask nicely at the counter

skeltonl Apr 15, 11 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sn1ke (Post 16222510)
Did you specifically book the Mustang category (as opposed to the general 'Convertible' category?

Yes it specifically says Ford Mustang convertible and not a generic convertible class - its just the or similar part that is the concern.

skeltonl Apr 15, 11 7:36 am

:D

You SHOULD be fine, if not ask nicely at the counter[/QUOTE]

Always good advice - I was wondering if they have more than just a couple in stock at Lax.

sn1ke Apr 15, 11 10:53 am

As said above by AndDee, you should be ok, if you've booked that specific category. They usually have a few there, so you'll hopefully have a choice.

One thing in my experience from being there - if your mustang doesn't have a GPS in it, look around to see if any of the other ones on the lot do, and then ask nicely if you could switch to the other one. I did this, using the reason 'I've always wanted to drive a red Mustang', and they didn't mind at all (and didn't charge me for the GPS, which was the point of the exercise!)

The only alternative I can think of is a Corvette, if they still have some there...although in terms of luggage capacity, it's not 'similiar' at all!

Good luck - let us know how you get on! :)