Standard Convertible @ LAX, chances to get Mustang?

Old Apr 15, 11, 11:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Hertz 5*
When I think about it....when I was at LAX a few weeks ago I didn't see any Sebrings so I'd say your chances of getting a Mustang are pretty good, saw plenty of them there
Old Apr 17, 11, 8:29 am

I am just back from a trip to California and I can say that I also did not see a single Sebring there and I could count at least 10 Convertible Mustangs in a pretty hectic day at LAX. I had a Coupe Mustang and loved the car!
Old Apr 17, 11, 4:52 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by Alessandra V. View Post
I am just back from a trip to California and I can say that I also did not see a single Sebring there and I could count at least 10 Convertible Mustangs in a pretty hectic day at LAX. I had a Coupe Mustang and loved the car!
Was your coupe a V6? Was it a 2011 model with the improved engine?
Old Jul 29, 11, 3:47 pm

Programs: OnePass
Sorry to bring this back up in my first post, guys...

But I have a reservation for a convertible on Sep 1 at LAX, 1 week.

I'd like to know what's my chance of getting a convertible Mustang there.

At my reservation it says "Eclipse Spyder or similar", but I don't want to drive the Eclipse. The Mustang's 300+ HP engine is what I want.

I'm also a Hertz Gold member, does this mean I can choose my car from the convertible category? Or do I have to pick the exact car they've assigned for me?

TIA
Old Aug 7, 11, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Both the Mustang and Eclipse that you're going to get have equally "meh" engines anyway. If you don't like what you see at your stall, go back to the Gold counter and negotiate something else, either for free or a small upgrade fee, depending on their mood.
Old Sep 9, 11, 9:15 pm

Hertz Convertibles at LAX

I'll be flying into LAX at the end of the month and I'm thinking of changing my rental back to a convertible. Can anyone give me an idea of what convertibles are available at LAX (excluding the Prestige line). Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 11, 10:13 am

I picked up a 2011 Mustang this time last year from LAX.
Old Sep 14, 11, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I'll let you know on Friday... But from other threads here, looks like it'll be the Eclipse.
Old Sep 16, 11, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
I'll be flying into LAX at the end of the month and I'm thinking of changing my rental back to a convertible. Can anyone give me an idea of what convertibles are available at LAX (excluding the Prestige line). Thanks!
Horrible experience at Hertz LAX today. Gold booth was about 20 people deep and took 30 minutes to get to one of the two agents. Agent said that they are supposed to get some Mustangs in but doesn't know when (she didn't sound very confident)

Got the crappy Eclipse. It is SMALL. Saw a Sebring asked the lot attendant and said he couldn't help and that I'd have to get back in line.

The Eclipse I got is very small and isn't even close to a Mustang or even a Sebring/200.
Old Sep 16, 11, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The Eclipse Spyder is a joke and should be classed as a Economy car not a "Standard Convertible"

Most people want to rent a Mustang, hence why Hertz and all other rental companies have a large majority of them.

Hertz, being Hertz.. Decided to go with the Eclipse Spyder, as they seem to have a thing for Mitsubishi at the moment.

Much like when they changed from the Ford Explorer to the Mitsubishi Endeavor!

Back to LAX - They seem to be up to something there, they "only" have 33 types of cars to rent out, and most of the Prestige are booked out for Feb/March/April.

LAS/SFO have lots more availability and more choices!
Old Sep 18, 11, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
The Eclipse Spyder is a joke and should be classed as a Economy car not a "Standard Convertible"

Most people want to rent a Mustang, hence why Hertz and all other rental companies have a large majority of them.

Hertz, being Hertz.. Decided to go with the Eclipse Spyder, as they seem to have a thing for Mitsubishi at the moment.
Hertz has the Mustang Convertible listed as a separate category at TPA; is it that way at LAX? If so, the people that would prefer a Mustang to a 200 or Eclipse are welcome to pay extra for their preferences, much as airlines charge for legroom, bars charge for higher-tier liquor, and so on.

They're probably buying lots of Mitsubishis because they're cheap; Mitsubishi isn't selling many cars to consumers in North America these days. This is also a tried-and-true practice, same as the traditional Impala and Sebring/200 glut.
Old Sep 18, 11, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BonzoESC View Post
Hertz has the Mustang Convertible listed as a separate category at TPA; is it that way at LAX? If so, the people that would prefer a Mustang to a 200 or Eclipse are welcome to pay extra for their preferences, much as airlines charge for legroom, bars charge for higher-tier liquor, and so on.

They're probably buying lots of Mitsubishis because they're cheap; Mitsubishi isn't selling many cars to consumers in North America these days. This is also a tried-and-true practice, same as the traditional Impala and Sebring/200 glut.
Hertz at LAX seems to have some sort of availability issues

They have the Spyder listed and only the GT Premium Mustang

You can't reserve the Mustang convertible and availability for most of the Prestige collection for Dec/Jan/Feb/March has been "Sold Out" for many months!

I am changing my plans to either rent from San Diego or San Fran to get the car I want
Old Sep 19, 11, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
Hertz at LAX seems to have some sort of availability issues

[]

I am changing my plans to either rent from San Diego or San Fran to get the car I want
Or change your plans to rent from a different agency; why should you bear the inconvenience of a multinational corporation's inventory issues?
Old Sep 20, 11, 8:16 pm

I'm beginning to think you can only rent a Mustang in California. I have just left Yosemite, and there were so many Mustangs. They were everywhere! They must be the most common rental in the state!?!
Old Sep 20, 11, 8:39 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I was at Hertz at LAX on 8/24/11 and was told they are not even stocking Mustangs right now. I rented a VW Eos instead (after heavy negotiations with the Gold agent!!) and enjoyed it.

Search this Thread