Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
Swiss Speeding Tickets

Rented a car from Hertz in Zurich. After I got back to the U.S., Hertz billed my credit card for two speeding tickets. The Swiss police later sent me two more tickets, asking for more money. Has anyone dealt with this before?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by darrenhe
Rented a car from Hertz in Zurich. After I got back to the U.S., Hertz billed my credit card for two speeding tickets. The Swiss police later sent me two more tickets, asking for more money. Has anyone dealt with this before?
The charges from Hertz were, I expect, the Hertz processing fees for providing the information to the authorities on who the driver was and unrelated to the cost of the fine. If you look at the rental contract , you should find details about Hertz's processing fees

The letters from the Swiss police are for the infringement itself

Dave
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Hope you weren't going too fast -- Swiss speeding tickets are not cheap!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:30 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Are you planning on going back to Zurich again?
What would happen if you filed the letter?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by darrenhe

Can you share, rough ballpark figures if you prefer, what the Hertz processing charge was and how much the penalty is for speeding in Switzerland? Enquiring minds want to know...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:06 am

I can't speak to the administrative charges, but here's a guide to speeding fines in Switzerland.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewClement
I can't speak to the administrative charges, but here's a guide to speeding fines in Switzerland.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: no status
I rentedin Zurich too, and Hertz charged me $40 administrative fee for an alleged "violation" in May. I have not heard from the Swiss authorities what this is supposed to be about.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
How do the Swiss do this? Is it all radar detected? I'll take it they also have a way to detect the license plate? And, will the police stop you to issue the ticket? This gives me a whole new appreciation for the Swiss desire for an orderly society.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
How do the Swiss do this? Is it all radar detected? I'll take it they also have a way to detect the license plate? And, will the police stop you to issue the ticket? This gives me a whole new appreciation for the Swiss desire for an orderly society.
It's less about an orderly society and more about revenue generation from unsuspecting foreigners.

The vast majority of speed control is done by camera, using both radar and laser technology. Most of the cameras are fixed, and locals quickly learn where they're placed. These fixed cameras are supplemented by mobile speed patrols, where manned officers use portable cameras to snap your photo and speed. They're particularly fond of setting these traps just as you enter and just before you leave the country.

In most cases, the only way you'll know you've been caught is the tell-tale flash from the camera, although with the new infrared cameras, even that isn't so easy to spot. 2-3 weeks later (longer for foreigners, where there's more tracking down to do) you'll get a letter through the postbox with the bad news, and if the speed is high enough, a request for you to attend court and turn in your license.

One thing I've noticed since living in Switzerland is that people here really obey the limits. It's very rare to see a Swiss driver travelling much more than 10km beyond the speed limit -- most of the speed demons have foreign plates on their cars.

The drivers around Geneva have heavier feet than their counterparts in the German part of the country, and as a result the motorway coming out of Geneva is littered with speed cameras....
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
Well known that the Swiss do not tolerate speeding at all. Camera's and radar all over. Fines are very costly, even if say 5 mi over limit. Have no idea what yours are from. Do suggest paying them regardless. Do you have a Swiss DL, or using an IDP?

BTW, if speeding from radar if like in OZ no option to legally challenge and/or traffic school.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've only gotten a speed camera ticket in NZ. Do the Swiss have a way to easily come after you if you reside outside their country? (Billing Hertz, etc?)
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've only gotten a speed camera ticket in NZ. Do the Swiss have a way to easily come after you if you reside outside their country? (Billing Hertz, etc?)
They can't come after you if you live abroad other than by having Hertz bill your CC. But - if you're planning to go back to Switzerland in the future, you better pay, otherwise you might be in for an unpleasant surprise when entering the country or if you get pulled over....
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by sba110
They can't come after you if you live abroad other than by having Hertz bill your CC.
That is precisely what I asked. Do they have the authority to bill Hertz? Who in turn would bill you.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
with the advent of speed cameras and lack of actual officers ive heard of lots of people removing the license plates from their rental cars.

anyone here do this yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.