Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Am I getting downgraded, instead of upgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, UA PE

Hi. I am a 5* GLD member. I always book a full-size via our corporate travel website.

During most of my rentals this year, I have been given Nissan Altimas (hybrid), Mazda 6's or similar. These rentals have been at LAX, SFO, MSY, NYC HLE and others.

If this list (http://bit.ly/aqLgzr ) is still (even slightly) accurate, it would appear that I am getting LESS car than I booked.

Is this true, or am I mistaken?

Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: None anymore
Sounds like you are, those seems like 'standard' size cars. Even on Hertz`s site it says standard and the Chevy Impala is 'full size' ?
I've not used Hertz in a few years, so someone more familiar will need to pipe in.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:09 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
What is the class listed on the contract?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:34 am

It's more due to cars moving classes when new models come out. Part of it is class shrink (i.e. a midsize being a Sentra or similar versus a Mazda 6 or similar previously), and some is due to cars getting larger (a Sentra today is much larger than the Sentra of the early 90s for example, while the Versa has replaced the Sentra in compacts).
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
It's more due to cars moving classes when new models come out. Part of it is class shrink (i.e. a midsize being a Sentra or similar versus a Mazda 6 or similar previously), and some is due to cars getting larger (a Sentra today is much larger than the Sentra of the early 90s for example, while the Versa has replaced the Sentra in compacts).
I think you are right about "class shrink".

I found a good list of car types and classes and posted it here: http://bit.ly/dca3ri

So when I reserve an "Impala or similar", looks like an Altima hybrid is the similar or even the upgrade. oh joy.

FCAR F FORD TAURUS ABS
FCAH F4 ALTIMA HYBRID GREEN
FSAR F6 TOYOTA CAMRY GREEN

So. Is F to F4 considered and upgrade?

(Impala's not even on this list.)

Last edited by jwking; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm Reason: added "So. Is F to F4 considered and upgrade?"
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jwking
I think you are right about "class shrink".

I found a good list of car types and classes and posted it here: http://bit.ly/dca3ri

So when I reserve an "Impala or similar", looks like an Altima hybrid is the similar or even the upgrade. oh joy.

FCAR F FORD TAURUS ABS
FCAH F4 ALTIMA HYBRID GREEN
FSAR F6 TOYOTA CAMRY GREEN

So. Is F to F4 considered and upgrade?

(Impala's not even on this list.)
Hertz does consider F to F4 as an upgrade. It used to be F to G was an upgrade (i.e. a full class higher), but no longer.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I've had a couple of Mazda 6s this year that were marked C, but this is supposedly a mistake. The car is much larger than the 2008 and earlier Mazda 6s that were C.

The bottom line as to whether you are being downgraded is the class noted on the keychain and on the contract. (There are two classes noted on the contract: what you booked and what you received. I forget the exact wording of how they are listed, but they are on there.) Check the class on there, and if it's C or D (or A or B, but unlikely if you booked F), or any of those with a Y in front, then technically that's a downgrade.

Altima is considered F, and I think a new 6 is properly considered F as well these days. It's not appreciably different in size than the Altima for sure. And if you get a hybrid Altima, that's a different classification generally, could have been going for more $$ than F was and thus is guaranteed to be an "upgrade" in their eyes even if it isn't in yours. The lack of car models in the car class list you posted does not mean you don't get them; it's just an example model unless you're talking about Fun or Prestige collections. Some of them are not the example models that Hertz currently displays in booking systems. Right now when you book a C in the US the current example model is Nissan Sentra. I believe the example for F is still the Impala.

5* isn't necessarily much good for upgrades. I don't feel like I've gotten a significantly different number of upgrades than before I had reached that level. I've gotten mostly what I consider nicer cars this year, perhaps. Newer a lot of the time. Not sure the status has anything to do with it. Most reports are that it has next to no effect.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

CrazyOne, thx for the feedback. Going to check some past contracts / receipts and see what the travel system booked vs. what I actually drove.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
I dont think youre getting downgraded, just around what you are paying for.

You definitely arent getting upgraded though....why not just spend a little more for a nicer car? its usually no more hten like $20 a day for an Lcar or something

unless your a platinum member you really shouldnt even think ull get an upgrade and even then its usually nothing great.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I dont think youre getting downgraded, just around what you are paying for.

You definitely arent getting upgraded though....why not just spend a little more for a nicer car? its usually no more hten like $20 a day for an Lcar or something

unless your a platinum member you really shouldn't even think ull get an upgrade and even then its usually nothing great.
I took a closer look at my previous contracts/receipts. Shows no downgrades. I have been booking some "standard" or "intermediate" instead of full-size cars thru my corporate travel website. This was in error. Now I know how to fix.

(I *did* book Full-size many times. At some locations, got what I paid for. At some locations, I did get some nice upgrades.)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, National Emerald Executive, Hertz 5 *, Marriott Platinum
I have been finding out that if you want to be "upgraded" you are going to have to pay for it these days. Book the cheapest F Size rate you can and when you pick up your car and it is not acceptable just go to the counter and negotiate an upgrade into something else.

A couple of weeks ago I booked an F Size rate at $50 a day in SFO. Got to my stall and there was a Grand Marquis sitting there. Went to the Gold Desk and negotiated a $30 more per day upgrade to a MB E-Class. So I rented an E-Class for 2 days for $160 plus tax....can't beat that. I have had other regular Full Size rentals double that price in a beat up Camry.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jwking
Hi. I am a 5* GLD member. I always book a full-size via our corporate travel website.

During most of my rentals this year, I have been given Nissan Altimas (hybrid), Mazda 6's or similar. These rentals have been at LAX, SFO, MSY, NYC HLE and others.

If this list (http://bit.ly/aqLgzr ) is still (even slightly) accurate, it would appear that I am getting LESS car than I booked.

Is this true, or am I mistaken?

Altimas and Mazda 6 are both full size cars with Hertz now. Please don't forget that upgrades are subject to availability. Just be glad you are getting a full size car when reserving one; due to lousy fleet management MANY people are reserving full size cars only to receive something smaller at time of rental. Hertz used to be such a great company.....they have done straight down hill now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.