Wiki Posts
Search

Presidents Circle in US - Renting in UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Presidents Circle in US - Renting in UK

Hello- I looked elsewhere in the previous pages, and in the stickys but did not see an answer to this question-

It's my understanding that I can NOT use my Hertz #1 points for ANY rentals in the UK, specifically Scotland being a President's Circle Member in the US- is this correct?

Is there any other way around this? Moving them to another frequent flier provider (Continental) then over to a UK equiv? I have a bunch from biz travel that I'd really like to be able to somehow use these for a trip that I am doing in Scotland in September with my gf.

Thx, and sorry if this gets asked a lot!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
hertz points unfortunately cannot be used anywhere outside of the US. So no you cannot use your points in Scotland. As far as I know there is no HERTZ #1 points outside of US to be able to transfer to. I am not familiar with Continental as to whether rewards redemptions for Rental cars are possible.

E
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
This question has been answered in multiple previous threads. ZE1 points are only good for redemptions in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. It sucks. But then, so does life sometimes.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Plus you don't/can't earn ZE1 points in the UK either - instead all you can get is a few airmiles per rental. I suspect it is as the insurance costs in Europe are significant portion of a rental's cost, with a very different system to the USA, as everyone pretty much has to buy insurance from the car company, rather than getting it from our credit cards.

Btw: As another FYI; your presidents circle 'gaurenteed' upgrade in the UK is only valid at airport locations.... which means you need to pay an airport surcharge to have a better car. As a UK based Presidents Circle member (though admitadly renting on hugely discounted corporate rates as I work for a very big corporation) I rarely get upgrades outside of an airport location, and even at the airports it can be a bit hit-and-miss until I start being a regular there.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I was a US PC renting almost every week at LHR for a few years. I always got the car i wanted at LHR, but probably because the counter agents knew me and arranged it. No points accrual or use. though, anywhere outside the US. Also most of the non-US rentals will never show up in the count, so you'll maybe lose PC, as i just did, if you rent too much outside the US.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I was a US PC renting almost every week at LHR for a few years. I always got the car i wanted at LHR, but probably because the counter agents knew me and arranged it. No points accrual or use. though, anywhere outside the US. Also most of the non-US rentals will never show up in the count, so you'll maybe lose PC, as i just did, if you rent too much outside the US.
If you are renting and the rentals are not showing up online towards the rental count, contact customer services and give then the reservation details and they can find them and get them credited

No reason to lose status over it

Dave
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are renting and the rentals are not showing up online towards the rental count, contact customer services and give then the reservation details and they can find them and get them credited

No reason to lose status over it

Dave
The above also happens to me when I rent outside of the UK. I was told I would have to get my account upgraded to a worldwide one instead of the European one I have before International rental start showing up on my anual count.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blacknight
The above also happens to me when I rent outside of the UK. I was told I would have to get my account upgraded to a worldwide one instead of the European one I have before International rental start showing up on my anual count.
That is v easy to do and can be done online iirc with not much effort. Didn't think of someone not having updated their profile to have gold worldwide

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.