FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1044746-consolidated-renting-slc-what-kind-cars-expect-thread.html)

B302LS May 4, 2019 9:22 pm

Landed around 7pm today (Saturday May 4th).

Premium Upgrade: Dodge Charger R/T, Chevy Camaro, Lincoln Navigator (last gen)

PC: A bunch if GMC Yukons, Cadillac XTS, Chrysler 300S, Dodge Durango, Chevy Impala, Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave

5 star: Ford Explorer, a few more Yukons, Dodge Grand Caravan, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Equinox and a few others.

Didn’t bother looking at Gold.

I picked the 300S.

Interestingly enough, this is the first time I’ve seen an all-American fleet in the rewards zones. Not a single Japanese, Korean or European car in the self selection areas, and even driving out through the rest of the garage, there were very few.

mark_s May 5, 2019 9:33 am

I figure PC in this thread refers to President's Circle. Not sure what UC is. I probably won't rent often enough to qualify for either, so maybe doesn't matter. Anyway, I signed up for Hertz Gold a few weeks ago and am flying to SLC with a reservation to a pick up a Group F (FCAR), it says Chevrolet Malibu or similar. However, when I view my reservation on the Hertz website, it lists the Service Type as Standard Counter, Mobile Gold Alerts Not Available at This Location. However, from reading these posts, I get the idea that some of you are able to bypass the counter? Also, while for this drive, a Malibu will be fine, I plan future trips in which it would be very helpful to get an AWD small SUV or crossover. Anybody ever seen a Subaru Crosstek or similar for rent there? I see that I can reserve a Ranger Rover with AWD, but for other SUVs, it doesn't mention if they have AWD or not.

jimbo215 May 29, 2019 9:44 am

Just rented an intermediate SUV from SLC with Hertz. Got a nice price with the AAA discount. The dates are 7/13-7/23. I know it's a bit away, but any idea on what kind of mid-size suvs they have there?

I also got the note on my reservation that my service type is: Standard Counter despite being gold. This is my first reservation ever with Hertz, so I figured that had something to do with it. Is there anyway for me to bypass the counter?

missingcolours May 29, 2019 11:26 am

Your first reservation always shows as "standard counter". Allegedly you have to go to the counter to have your license/CC validated but AFAIK no one has had a problem ignoring that and just grabbing a car from an eligible zone. In the case of reserved classes you might have to go to the gold booth to get assigned a car, I'm not sure.

jimbo215 May 29, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for the reply.

I really wanted to get a small SUV since we are doing some camping and have a fair amount of gear. Any chance I still get an SUV from UC?

noah May 30, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jimbo215 (Post 31150126)
Thanks for the reply.

I really wanted to get a small SUV since we are doing some camping and have a fair amount of gear. Any chance I still get an SUV from UC?

UC refers to the Ultimate Choice for which there is an upgrade charge.

If you NEED a SUV you should reserve one. As a Gold member, there is certainly a reasonable chance that you'll be able to select a SUV from the Gold aisle but no guarantee.

noah May 30, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by mark_s (Post 31069373)
I figure PC in this thread refers to President's Circle. Not sure what UC is. I probably won't rent often enough to qualify for either, so maybe doesn't matter. Anyway, I signed up for Hertz Gold a few weeks ago and am flying to SLC with a reservation to a pick up a Group F (FCAR), it says Chevrolet Malibu or similar. However, when I view my reservation on the Hertz website, it lists the Service Type as Standard Counter, Mobile Gold Alerts Not Available at This Location. However, from reading these posts, I get the idea that some of you are able to bypass the counter? Also, while for this drive, a Malibu will be fine, I plan future trips in which it would be very helpful to get an AWD small SUV or crossover. Anybody ever seen a Subaru Crosstek or similar for rent there? I see that I can reserve a Ranger Rover with AWD, but for other SUVs, it doesn't mention if they have AWD or not.

As a Hertz Gold you can bypass the counter and go to either a pre-assigned spot or to choose a car from the Gold aisle depending on the airport. In SLC there is a Gold aisle where you can select. The higher your status, in theory the better cars to which you have access. In practice it really depends more on the inventory of the station. If you NEED AWD then you should reserve a SUV though truth be told there is no guarantee that the SUV will be AWD -- when I was in SLC this winter, all the SUVs on the aisle were 2WD so I had to wait around until a Dodge Ram with 4WD was available.

wadewei Jun 6, 2019 2:20 am

Landed around 2pm on May 30.

Premium Upgrade: Evoque

PC: All kinds of SUVs including GMC Arcadia, Chevy Traverse and pick your color 4Runners which was an unusual sighting for me. Grabbed a QX60 with AWD.

Didn't bother looking at 5* and Gold.

FlyingJack Jul 1, 2019 8:50 pm

I was there on a Friday night around 11 pm, had a premium SUV reservation and was assigned an Infiniti QX60. Found a QX80 was just parked to PC lot and took it. Generally a pretty small lot. A LOT OF Infiniti SUVs parked at the end of five star area with door locked.

jimbo215 Jul 2, 2019 6:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyingJack (Post 31260241)
I was there on a Friday night around 11 pm, had a premium SUV reservation and was assigned an Infiniti QX60. Found a QX80 was just parked to PC lot and took it. Generally a pretty small lot. A LOT OF Infiniti SUVs parked at the end of five star area with door locked.

The cost for an elite suv vs a regular SUV is about even right now for SLC. I'm guessing it's because of the surplus of infinities that you noticed.

CMK10 Aug 26, 2019 10:31 am

Picked up at 10:30 PM last Friday night

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Sa...MG_8508-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Sa...MG_8509-XL.jpg

Pretty boring selection that was over half 300s and Impalas and some smaller SUVs including a rarely seen tiny Buick Encore. The premium upgrades area had a Mustang, Cadillac and Infiniti. I took a 300S with 9,900 miles and XM.

kbean Sep 27, 2019 8:41 am

Signed up for Hertz Gold (I have rented through them before but I never signed up) and am picking up tomorrow morning in SLC. Although the forecast in SLC is typically only rain with some snow possible in higher elevations, we are driving north to Wyoming, further into snow territory so I really will feel more comfortable with an AWD or 4WD given that I will be doing some driving in what's coming. I have an "Mid-Size" SUV on reserve, it says a Toyota RAV 4 or similar. I THOUGHT I saw Q4 somewhere on my reservation (which now, of course I cannot find where it said that) but what are my chances of getting something mid-size and AWD or 4WD? Don't say I don't need it - I would feel more comfortable if I can get it. Fine with anything not too large, don't care if it is a Rogue, Jeep, Rav 4 or whatever. Just not sure what the choices will look like given that it's still before ski season and people will probably be trying to get these since some weather is coming. Anyone rent there often and have an idea? TIA.

GW McLintock Sep 27, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by kbean (Post 31569815)
Signed up for Hertz Gold (I have rented through them before but I never signed up) and am picking up tomorrow morning in SLC. Although the forecast in SLC is typically only rain with some snow possible in higher elevations, we are driving north to Wyoming, further into snow territory so I really will feel more comfortable with an AWD or 4WD given that I will be doing some driving in what's coming. I have an "Mid-Size" SUV on reserve, it says a Toyota RAV 4 or similar. I THOUGHT I saw Q4 somewhere on my reservation (which now, of course I cannot find where it said that) but what are my chances of getting something mid-size and AWD or 4WD? Don't say I don't need it - I would feel more comfortable if I can get it. Fine with anything not too large, don't care if it is a Rogue, Jeep, Rav 4 or whatever. Just not sure what the choices will look like given that it's still before ski season and people will probably be trying to get these since some weather is coming. Anyone rent there often and have an idea? TIA.

If that's what you booked, it's what you'll get. They have plenty of them in SLC.

-J.

kbean Sep 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 31571811)
If that's what you booked, it's what you'll get. They have plenty of them in SLC.

-J.

That’s good, however how many of their midsize SUVs are AWD or 4WD vs 2WD? Just wondering if I’ll have some difficulty on that front or if they have lots of AWD/4WD.

GW McLintock Sep 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kbean (Post 31571818)
That’s good, however how many of their midsize SUVs are AWD or 4WD vs 2WD? Just wondering if I’ll have some difficulty on that front or if they have lots of AWD/4WD.

2WD is a different class.

-J.