Hertz monthly lease - any experiences?

Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:51 am

I was a Hertz Multi-Month customer for approximately 8-years.

I needed a program that allowed me to put unlimited mileage on my vehicle, without the penalties, repair headaches or penalizing lease programs.

I stumbled on Hertz back in 2006. While renting from Hertz on a week to week basis, a Hertz representative introduced me to the Hertz Multi Month program.

At the time, they put me into an entry level vehicle, like a small Chevy Cobalt, and I was soon upgraded with a few weeks to a larger more luxurious vehicle at no additional charge, because that is all that they had on their lot, that day and simply wanted to make me a satisfied customer.

Cost: Between 2006 and 2013, my monthly rate in the program was between $380.00 per month and $480.00 per month. By 2014, a new Regional Manager stepped in and put an end to my low monthly rate. Between 2006 (after my first upgrade) and 2014, I was driving the following vehicles at 10-months at a time (the length of the Hertz Multi-Month contract). Those cars included a Toyota Prius (Hybrid), Ford Fusion, SE, etc.

The contract allowed me to exchange the vehicle whenever I wanted, basically, whether it was not running to my satisfaction, or it got a dent, or I just got sick of it. Because I have respect for vehicles, appreciated the Hertz Multi Month program, and did not want to take advantage, or red flag my account, I always stayed in the same car for the entire 10-months, and when renewing, tried to remain in the same car.

HERTZ Multi Month Benefits
1. No credit check.
2. Give Hertz your credit card and they simply bill it each month.
3. No lowing of FICA score (as would be the case for a lease or new car).
4. Never a repair bill. Always driving a brand new car of the year.
5. Does not effect your insurance (In my case I have Geico Insurance. I have two twenty year old cars on Geico insurance that I pay $120.00 a month for. Because I have rental coverage, the Hertz Multi Month falls under my Geico policy and I am covered, driving a car of the year, on a policy covering 20-year old cars).
6. In theory, if I got tired of the car, I could exchange it at my discretion.
7. UNLIMITED MILEAGE WITH NO MILEAGE LIMITATIONS or PENALTIES !!!
8. AAA additional discount.
9. Your always driving a new car.
10. No restrictions. You can break the 10-month Multi Month contract at any time. 11. The 10-month contract protects the consumer more than Hertz Corp., as it secures the Consumers rate for 10-months.

Tips:
1. Get a rapport going with the Hertz Manager at the location that you are doing business with.
2. Discreetly (and out of sight of cameras and other employees) Give a tip. I would give a couple of hundred dollars a year. $100.00 upon signing the contract for the 10-months, and then I would stop back 5-months later to give that manager another $100.00 tip. I even gave one manager an I-POD in 2012. But they always took care of me and often lowered the rate for me, from the previous year.
3. Get what ever car you can, out of the gate and get the hell out of there. Then go to the Hertz Airport to get the car that you really want, because that is where you will find the broadest selection of cars.
4. Try to get into a new car. A new car in my definition is 0 miles to 2,000 miles. They are always getting new cars into their Airport locations.
5. Don't be hesitant to discretely tip the porter, or the guy who is out on the lot, because he can help you out a great deal.
6. We were great customers, because we took care of their vehicles, (never one accident or ding) and always paid our bill on time, when the card was automatically debited.
7. The Multi Month Department is important. Treat them with respect and kid gloves, so they do not red flag your account, if you have happened to get a great rate.
8. What is a great rate, you might ask? A great rate is what ever you believe is great is, based on your annual mileage. For example, a great rate for me, was between $0 and $550.00 per month. I had to fight to keep that rate every ten months with Management (and it would have been worse if I did not tip them) and the negotiations caused anxiety and stress, because they want to always jack the rate up. Hertz business model says charge between $750.00 and $1,100.00 per month.
9. Who do you negotiate rate with? A: The store location, NOT the Multi Month Department (Segregation of duties).
10. Who do you submit your oil, lube and filter bill to for reimbursement ? A: Multi Month Department and they will credit back your card for the $50.00 or what ever it is.
11. Stay out of HERTZ once you get your rate and contract.
12. The employees at HERTZ are borderline incompetent and don't want to exert themselves, so stay away at all costs.
13. In our experience, there was a lot of LYING and DECEPTION from HERTZ employees, as far as renewing the contracts, etc. (That's because they don't know what they are doing and are completely incompetent). They figure they will never see the customer again, so treat them like .... if they ask for anything outside the scope of their normal duties, so the customer shall be compelled to walk away frustrated, rather than get satisfaction.
14. VERY IMPORTANT: Say you ignore what I advise you to do, when I advise you not to return to exchange cars (even know you are contractually able to do so). What will happen, is more times than none the HERTZ rep., will screw up your contract and rate. MAKE SURE THESE NITWITS DO YOUR TRANSACTION AS AN "EXCHANGE." Confirm and reconfirm and the reconfirm a third time that they are doing an "EXCHANGE," because they will screw up your contract from a ten month to a two month contract and adversely impact your rate. Once the Bell has been Rang, it is difficult to unring the proverbial BELL.
15. Don't believe a word the HERTZ representative or HERTZ Manager says. Furthermore, understand that HERTZ is basically a FLAT organization. There are layers of Managers within the stores, SO EVERYONE FANCIES THEMSELVES AS A MANAGER. If you are told "A" expect "B." If you are told "B" expect "C." You get my drift.

A new regional manager came to the helm on the East Coast in 2014. He proposed a 100% increase in my Hertz Multi Month contract. That would bring my rate from $480.00 per month to (Well you do the math).

I argued that we had been customers for nearly 10-years, but he could care less.
I gave him at least a dozen reasons why a 100% increase in rate was inappropriate. I suggested a more reasonable and realistic rate increase of 10% or 20%. The ....er would not budge in the end. However it was a good ride (no pun intended) for nearly a decade and I believe that I saved, based on the high mileage that I drive each year, no repair bills, no car insurance increases, probably about $15K per year or $75K over the ten years, as a Hertz Multi Month Customer.
I hope that this helps you.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Hertz points aren't really worth very much in the long run, I wouldn't really factor them into the cost you are going to be paying Hertz.
I disagree. If you are renting full time you will always have a nice balance. For me that means I'm always getting a free rental in expensive locations or on expensive cars. It's really nice to always have a free convertible for a beach trip or a free week when the cars are pricing hundreds per week.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Also, consider single month contracts with $50 off per month.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/m-15209317/save-$50-on-a-monthly-rental-special-offer
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
I wished this would have worked for me....

I worked for a big name beverage company up until January. I had a company car for 8 years then 2 years ago they changed it to give all employees a cheesy $300 per month allowance with .19 cents per mile. The kicker was, you had to have a car within 5 years new of current year and with less than 150,000 miles to qualify for the allowance. Additionally, you had to carry the maximum amount of insurance on the car $300k/$500k. This definitely wasn't a winning deal for any associate.

Get ready....I drove 75,000 miles in 1 year in my brand new car. I took a MAJOR depreciation hit not to mention all of the maintenance on the vehicle.

I really wished this Hertz Multi Month lease would have worked for me but I wouldn't have been able to get the payment because I wouldn't have auto insurance directly for the specific car I was driving.

So glad I don't work for them anymore.....

But this does sound like a great deal if you drive high mileage.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Bumping to the top for any additional info.

I just called Hertz as a PC and the rate I was given for 3 month's was slightly more than one month at a time. The link on the Hertz website for multi month rentals is also not working.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
2 month Hertz lease MORE expensive than 2 month Hertz rental

I'm looking to rent a car for two months in Italy (Pick up and drop off at Milan, MXP airport)

I saw that Hertz has a lease feature (smart lease?) and was surprised that it was slightly more expensive than just renting the car for two whole months AND the lease had mileage restrictions, whereas the rental did not.

What gives?

2 month rental was around $1,100 dollars, which seems not too bad considering unlimited mileage.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:45 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

That's fairly common. We've rarely seen instances where these "mini-leases" are better deals than just doing a standard rental. Also, try to break it up into 2 1-month leases to see if the price is better. The other benefit of that is that you can track the price of the second month with AutoSlash and have us look for better deals while you're driving around in the rental for the first month.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
What kind of status would I end up getting with Hertz for two, 30 day bookings in Italy? Right now I'm Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle.

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:21 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by petomoo
What kind of status would I end up getting with Hertz for two, 30 day bookings in Italy? Right now I'm Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle.

Thanks!
Possibly a one-class upgrade depending on what you booked, but I wouldn't count on it as PC status often doesn't mean much if anything when renting outside the US/CA.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
when renting outside the US/CA.
Technically, US/CN.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dayone
Technically, US/CN.
Given CN is the country code for China, I'm guessing the original claim might have been slightly more correct...
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by docbert
Given CN is the country code for China, I'm guessing the original claim might have been slightly more correct...
I was wrong. I was thinking of CAN.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
In the Hertz system (DASH), the country code for Canada is CN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.