Reload this Page >

What's Hawaii like for mosquitos ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Hawaii like for mosquitos ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'll have to say I've never encountered issues on my visits to the Islands... so nothin' like in Alaska

Granted, now that I have said that, when the plane touches down in OGG in November, I'll get bit in the terminal
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by JimG
I don't think I've gotten bit by a mosquito in the last 6+ trips I've been to Maui, and never worn bug spray.

Even on the golf courses.

I'm sure they're there.....somewhere.

But it's nothing like the Caribbean.....I get eaten alive there.
That begs the question: have you seen a B-52 roach on your 6+ trips to Maui?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Cool Pray for Trades

There is a wind component to the mosquito equation, since they (like most flying insects) find it tough to stay aloft and in control in high winds.

Of course what you and I consider a nice trade wind will ground many bugs, so consider that as well.

I find that on moderately windy nights, I can enjoy the breeze in the palms without worrying about donating blood to my flying friends.

Aloha, Ted
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
I've seen those crawling in the bathroom... thankfully only one in recent memory but they are weird (Thankfully roaches like snakes are not native to AK )
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
My experience (and others have agreed with me), is that the effects of mosquito bites in Hawaii (or at least on Kauai) don't last more than a couple of hours. The next day, no itch!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've seen those crawling in the bathroom... thankfully only one in recent memory but they are weird (Thankfully roaches like snakes are not native to AK )
At least our Florida roaches don't fly - I couldn't handle that on top of their monstrous size.

*touch wood* I have yet to see a cane spider anywhere in Hawai'i, and will die happy if I never do.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by slippahs
Only once.

It was in my wife's terry cloth hotel robe.

She reminded me of that though....I didn't remember.

Bugs don't bug me.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JimG
Bugs don't bug me.
I think this might test even you
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I think this might test even you
The one linked to by a commenter of that article is even crazier... and there is talk of foot long ones...

-wow-
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The longest I've personally seen is about 8"
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That's 8" too long.

That centipede link gave me the willies last night
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:27 am

How long can they live w/o food or water?

I *may* have found a stow away in my QC2's this evening... something very small and long, about the length of my finger nail... I had been hearing noises of something moving around in the left earcup, and then I felt something on my ear and I used some small scissors to get it out... and washed it down the sink...

Needless to say... I will probably take Bose up on trading them in for the QC15's now...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
How long can they live w/o food or water?

I *may* have found a stow away in my QC2's this evening... something very small and long, about the length of my finger nail... I had been hearing noises of something moving around in the left earcup, and then I felt something on my ear and I used some small scissors to get it out... and washed it down the sink...

Needless to say... I will probably take Bose up on trading them in for the QC15's now...
Wow.

I trust you never saw 'Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan'

Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I grew up in NE-AZ in an area full of centipedes.

Don't remember any longer than 8", but they were pretty common.

They loved fresh dirt, so new homes were full of them for a couple of years.

I remember my first house (that we built in our early 20s), we lived in it as we finished the interior and could hear them in the walls crawling around in the insulation (before we sheetrocked) above our bed at night.

Freaked my ex-wife out to no end.

She had trouble sleeping for the longest time.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Wow.

I trust you never saw 'Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan'

Nope... should I watch it now? Have a friend who is a Trekkie- perhaps we should watch it

It was rather creepy to find last night...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.