Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hotel children's programs for non-guests in Poipu?

Old Sep 2, 09, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to find out if any of the hotel "kid's programs", such as Camp Hyatt, Sheraton's Keiki Aloha, etc. are open to non-guests, presumably at a higher fee.
We're looking to go to Kauai in October, renting a house / condo in the Poipu area, and we'd like to have our kids (6 and 8, if it matters) do one of these programs on one or two days so we could have some quality time as parents :-)
I found one LA Times story (undated) that mentioned the Sheraton allowing non-guest children, but there's no mention of that on the Sheraton web site.
In case anyone wonders, we want the additional space, full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. of a house vs. crowding into one or even two hotel rooms, but the kids programs are the one missing item.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob
Old Sep 2, 09, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
I'm trying to find out if any of the hotel "kid's programs", such as Camp Hyatt, Sheraton's Keiki Aloha, etc. are open to non-guests, presumably at a higher fee.
We're looking to go to Kauai in October, renting a house / condo in the Poipu area, and we'd like to have our kids (6 and 8, if it matters) do one of these programs on one or two days so we could have some quality time as parents :-)
I found one LA Times story (undated) that mentioned the Sheraton allowing non-guest children, but there's no mention of that on the Sheraton web site.
In case anyone wonders, we want the additional space, full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. of a house vs. crowding into one or even two hotel rooms, but the kids programs are the one missing item.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob
This isn't an answer to the question you asked, but if you haven't come across this already, it might be an alternative if no one else can answer your question for you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...recommend.html

There used to be a couple of Flyertalkers who actually lived on the island and participated in this forum, but no longer. They used to be able to answer these kinds of questions.

You might call the Sheraton directly. I've had various questions over the years (as a non-hotel guest) about the goings on at the hotel and have found them to be quite pleasant. Best of luck!
Old Sep 2, 09, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
This isn't an answer to the question you asked, but if you haven't come across this already, it might be an alternative if no one else can answer your question for you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...recommend.html

There used to be a couple of Flyertalkers who actually lived on the island and participated in this forum, but no longer. They used to be able to answer these kinds of questions.

You might call the Sheraton directly. I've had various questions over the years (as a non-hotel guest) about the goings on at the hotel and have found them to be quite pleasant. Best of luck!
Thanks. I did find that other thread, but my wife is somewhat nervous about a less "known" quantity. Plus, the kid's camps sound like fun, frankly, just not enough fun for me to want all 4 of us in a single hotel room for a pretty high price.

Honestly, I am surprised that room rates, at least thru their web sites, are still so high for the Poipu resorts. I was expecting to see greater discounts, but apparently not.

I'll give the Sheraton and Hyatt a call and see what they say.

Thanks,
Bob
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:30 pm

Thanks. I did find that other thread, but my wife is somewhat nervous about a less "known" quantity. Plus, the kid's camps sound like fun, frankly, just not enough fun for me to want all 4 of us in a single hotel room for a pretty high price.

Honestly, I am surprised that room rates, at least thru their web sites, are still so high for the Poipu resorts. I was expecting to see greater discounts, but apparently not.

I'll give the Sheraton and Hyatt a call and see what they say.

Thanks,
Bob
Here is something we do (we have a condo at Poipu) when we are there and have guests. We usually rent a room for one night at the Hyatt. Then, we effectively have the use of all the amenities for the better part of two days. Then everybody gets to experience the amenities there - the grounds, pool, water slide, etc. are great for kids and then you have the Camp Hyatt thing. It may seem silly to pay for a condo AND a hotel room, but if it gets you what you want, maybe it would work for you. If you have status at Hyatt, you can get an early check-in and late checkout.
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Here is something we do (we have a condo at Poipu) when we are there and have guests. We usually rent a room for one night at the Hyatt. Then, we effectively have the use of all the amenities for the better part of two days. Then everybody gets to experience the amenities there - the grounds, pool, water slide, etc. are great for kids and then you have the Camp Hyatt thing. It may seem silly to pay for a condo AND a hotel room, but if it gets you what you want, maybe it would work for you. If you have status at Hyatt, you can get an early check-in and late checkout.
Not a bad idea as a fallback. Especially since we wouldn't actually need to stay in the room :-) I would think it would be easier for the hotel to just charge me an additional fee, but failing that getting their cheapest room for one night would work.

thanks!
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:45 pm

Not a bad idea as a fallback. Especially since we wouldn't actually need to stay in the room :-) I would think it would be easier for the hotel to just charge me an additional fee, but failing that getting their cheapest room for one night would work.

thanks!
Yes, however the pool and slide would be one of the highlights of the trip for the kids.

I have an older cousin who has a Poipu condo too and we treated them to a day at the Hyatt when they visited last year. Her grandson was seven. He had the time of his life and said, "Grandma, why don't you sell your condo and stay here!?"

OK, I'm done selling the Hyatt. They don't pay me.
Old Sep 2, 09, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes, however the pool and slide would be one of the highlights of the trip for the kids.

I have an older cousin who has a Poipu condo too and we treated them to a day at the Hyatt when they visited last year. Her grandson was seven. He had the time of his life and said, "Grandma, why don't you sell your condo and stay here!?"

OK, I'm done selling the Hyatt. They don't pay me.
Oh, I was definitely on-board the idea of using the Hyatt facilities, etc. My wife has done spa treatments there before and loved it.

I just meant that when it was dinner time we could head back to the condo to eat and sleep. We typically stay at a place just off the east end of Hoone road, so it's not a long drive or anything.

Bob
Old Sep 2, 09, 6:34 pm

Oh, I was definitely on-board the idea of using the Hyatt facilities, etc. My wife has done spa treatments there before and loved it.

I just meant that when it was dinner time we could head back to the condo to eat and sleep. We typically stay at a place just off the east end of Hoone road, so it's not a long drive or anything.

Bob
Or walk. We're on Hoone Road too.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Sep 3, 09 at 10:02 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: