Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Current state of first class service to Seattle - comparing HA, AS, & NW

Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold

We are back to having three competitors SEA-HNL.... but which is the best up front? HA, NW, or AS?

Can anyone offer any recent comparisons or observations? My suspicion is that AS is better than NW, at least their transcons are better than what I usually see on NW between HNL and the west coast. But it's been awhile since I've flow HA on anything other than interisland... can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (slippahs' iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I've turned my back on HA domestic quite awhile ago.

I did manage to find an AS menu for the SEA-HNL flight and I'll post that online when I can get back to a scanner. But my impression is that AS has the better service over NW and there's no PU cert hassle but of course an EUA hassle.

But the more attractive thing about the AS flights is the schedule. I like the choice of a morning and afternoon departure out of HNL as opposed to an afternoon and redeye flight on NW.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (slippahs' iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I've turned my back on HA domestic quite awhile ago.

I did manage to find an AS menu for the SEA-HNL flight and I'll post that online when I can get back to a scanner. But my impression is that AS has the better service over NW and there's no PU cert hassle but of course an EUA hassle.

But the more attractive thing about the AS flights is the schedule. I like the choice of a morning and afternoon departure out of HNL as opposed to an afternoon and redeye flight on NW.
Not only is the service NOE (North of Expected) but so are the upgrades with status. I've been on 4 r/t's on AS to the islands and have been upgraded on each of them (and I've had companions upgraded on all too )

And having 2 flights a day is great too! (And if you want a redeye- you can always route thru ANC )

But then again I am hopelessly addicted to AS so YMMV
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:02 am
Original Poster

the NW flight to SEA is actually an afternoon departure, but I think the point stands -- AS has a superior first class product.

Anyone flown Hawaiian first class recently?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
the NW flight to SEA is actually an afternoon departure, but I think the point stands -- AS has a superior first class product.
I don't think anyone up above actually said NW didn't have an afternoon departure to SEA.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:13 am
Original Poster

True, true... but there is no NW redeye anymore.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
True, true... but there is no NW redeye anymore.
There is, but from my source, it's just a seasonal thing that NW is taking the red-eye flight to SEA off for a little bit, just like how there'll be reduced HNL-MSP flights for the next few months.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...and once AS gets its wifi running on its 73H's... it'll be awesome (Not sure on its timeline though... might be a year or two still )

But it might be the only airline with wifi over the Pacific
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
I did manage to find an AS menu for the SEA-HNL flight and I'll post that online when I can get back to a scanner.
Can you post this when you get a chance please?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.