Possible Kauai Mileage Run - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:32 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Possible Kauai Mileage Run - thoughts?

Gang,

There are some great fares out of BOS to Hawaii... thought I would do a two day mileage run... especially since I have a $200 UA certificate.

I have never been to Kauai.

If I arrived at 4 pm and left at 8 pm the next day.... what would you recommend I do?

Should I get a car? Or just get to the hotel... and perhaps a tour?

Appreciate any advice.

William
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
You are in for a treat...Kauai is a beautiful island. I don't live on Kauai but have family that do & I visit frequently.

Getting in a 4 pm, if your hotel is a beach front resort, then you could go directly there, relax, have a swim, beach walk, dinner, whatever. Next day I would definitely rent a car & do an isle tour. Head over to the Hanalei side & you'll pass most of the island sights, including lighthouse @Kilauea. You should be able to get a pretty good car deal via Priceline or Hotwire.

Or if you don't feel like driving, & your hotel can arrange transpo, then sign up for one of the Napali Coast or snorkeling tours out Port Allen (West of Poipu) http://www.kauai-hawaii.com/

Where is your hotel (location)?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I do not have a hotel yet... was just going to do a priceline room... since it is just a mileage run. Not sure if there are marriott or hilton properties there... I could use points.

I might do a tour... I like those...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
There is a nice Marriott near the airport

I stayed at this Marriott last September, it is a nice property and close to the airport. Nice beach and pool, there is a great locals restaruant for Breakfast not to far away.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Oh man, if you can possible stay an extra day or so, there is so much to see and do in Kauai.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

This is just a mini mileage run.... I expect we will go as a couple later this year... I just want to whet my appetite....

Any tours people would recommend to get a taste of the island? Not into hiking.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recommend the movie tour--I took the 4x4 tour--you'll see a lot of the island plus it includes lunch.
http://www.hawaiimovietour.com/
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I couldn't and wouldn't do a MR to Kauai...it would be too depressing to have to do a quick turn around. you'll regret it : )
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
I couldn't and wouldn't do a MR to Kauai...it would be too depressing to have to do a quick turn around. you'll regret it : )
That was exactly what I thought when I saw this. Kauai is an amazing place. BUT I would rent a car if I was the OP and just drive the island. Take every turn off, and explore.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Marriott Resort is good choice & a decent 4* & not too far from airport. In May online rates should run about $200nt or on Priceline maybe for $100. It has free airport shuttle, so you could go straight there & just relax after BOS-LIH flight. Next day, if not into relaxing at resort, and you like snorkeling, swimming & beautiful scenery, recommend one of the Napali Coast snorkeling tours...usually 4-6 hrs. Or take free shuttle back to LIH, do one day priceline &/or hotwire car rental & head for the North Shore. Along the way, lots of beaches, quaint towns, & easy drive. Feel free to PM with questions.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
If you're not averse to helicopters you should consider a heli tour. It's pretty amazing. I would also suggest renting a car & driving thru the Waimea Canyon. It's beautiful.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Pick up the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed -- very helpful. There's a Hilton not far from the airport and it's reasonably priced. (Though the beach it is on isn't suitable for swimming.) I've been to Kauai 3 times and have never done a tour -- very easy place to just rent a car and explore with a guidebook. Cheap and easy to rent snorkel gear if you want to do that -- while a snorkeling tour might be great, if you just want to snorkel for a short time and see other things you can easily just rent gear and stop at Lydgate Park (on the east side) or Poipu Beach (south side) which are both generally easy and good snorkeling.
I agree that you are going to go nuts once you get there and have to turn around and leave. You'll naturally be up early in the morning, so take advantage of that and get up early and watch the sunrise, go to breakfast away from the hotel, etc. And the Kauai airport is very laid back -- I've never found it necessary to get there 2 hours in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Rent a car and explore on your own. It'll be a lot more exciting that way.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The Limahuli Gardens and Preserve is an astounding place -- and I'm not a "gardens person." Some of the ancient Hawai`ian engineering preserved/restored there is simply fascinating.

And on the way, or on the way back, it's simply a lovely drive with lots of interesting stuff to explore.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
And don't forget to schedule a meal at Hamura Saimin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.