Big Island with a 10 yr. old

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Big Island with a 10 yr. old

Aloha,
Our 10 yr. old grandson will be spending a week with us (12/28>1/3/09) on the B.I. this winter. It will be his first trip to paradise. We've been many times and would like feedback on these planned activities. We plan to do:
-snorkeling at Kahalu'u and "two-step"
-body surfing/swimming at the beaches in North Kohala
-attend a Luau
-whale watching/snorkel trip
-Volcanoes N.P.

He'll have six full days with us. What do you think?

We'll be staying in a condo just South of Kona town.

Mahalo!!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Black sand AND turtles.

Diving with Mantas

You might want to check out this thread too:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284299

(Of course, Flumin Da Ditch, was destroyed in the earthquake)

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 19, 2008 at 1:10 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, cblaisd. Punalu'u Black Sand Beach is always a must-stop place for us on the way to VNP. Good links.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The Big Island was our first real vacation with our son when he was 10. If lava is flowing at Kiluaea, you should really take him to see it. Our son still tallks about seeing the lava flowing at night into the sea. He also liked Puuhonua o Honaunau. He had just gotten junion open water certification and loved the manta dive as well.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reubencahn
The Big Island was our first real vacation with our son when he was 10. If lava is flowing at Kiluaea, you should really take him to see it. Our son still tallks about seeing the lava flowing at night into the sea. He also liked Puuhonua o Honaunau. He had just gotten junion open water certification and loved the manta dive as well.
Where did you view the lava flows?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by philemer
http://co.hawaii.hi.us/cd/faq.htm#Three (If you go, go as close to 8 as possible for two reasons: (1) you'll only see steam at day and (2) you'll have an easier time parking closest to the trailhead if you go later).

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm Reason: switched night for day
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

If you don't want to try on your own, the tours that Arnott's Lodge (Hilo) does are very recommended.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
This was five years ago and we walked out over the lava field from the end of Chain of Craters Road. You could see the lava dropping from the sea arch into the water. We parked an hour or so before sundown and headed out. Once the sun is down, you can really see the lava flow--assuming there is an accessible flow.

Incidentally, if you don't have a copy of "The Big Island Revealed", I highly recommend this book. It's the most useful travel guide ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Isl...7850216&sr=8-1
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
I hear the sea horse farm is cool (apparently you can touch them and they purr). I plan to check it out next time.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:44 pm

This was five years ago and we walked out over the lava field from the end of Chain of Craters Road.
Note that, per slippahs' link above, the view is now from the Puna side, not the park side.

See also: http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lavaflows.htm
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Note that, per slippahs' link above, the view is now from the Puna side, not the park side.

Inside the park there were rangers, but I'm assuming they aren't at the current viewing point since it's outside?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Inside the park there were rangers, but I'm assuming they aren't at the current viewing point since it's outside?
Yes, you assume correctly; it's Hawaii county officials who run the operation at the end of Highway 130 in Kalapana.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Mahalo for the link. I also use the BI Revealed guide book.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: spg platinum: aa platinum
The Sea horse farm is a major hit with kids. My son still talks about it 2 years later. It is the only captive breeding program in the US, (maybe the world).
Manta Rays, dolphins, sea turtles, and lava round out the highlights my son finds on the big island.

Originally Posted by spleenstomper
I hear the sea horse farm is cool (apparently you can touch them and they purr). I plan to check it out next time.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We just returned from Hawaii... and a new flow opened up the day we went. The view is outside the park. You go up from Volcano towards Hilo... and take Route 130 all the way down. There is a parking area... and marked path on the lava out to the flow. You are still a bit away. But, get there near sundown to see the steam... and then after sundown, you can see the red lava flows going into the ocean. Almost as good as what I saw back in the 90's. Make sure you bring water and a flashlight... coming back to your car is a bit dangerous if you cannot see the lava you are walking on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.