Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Given the added details you provide...a 90 min connection should work fine.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM
What is the best way to get from a HA OGG-HNL flight to a Delta flight?

Is going on the WikiWiki bus worth the novelty factor? If not, how long is the walk?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta
WikiWiki bus has zero novelty factor.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It's probably faster to walk from the interisland terminal to the main terminal. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so. Read the signs carefully or you'll end up outside security and have to go through it again.

I can't say I've ever taken the wikiwiki.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by tikchik
What is the best way to get from a HA OGG-HNL flight to a Delta flight?

Is going on the WikiWiki bus worth the novelty factor? If not, how long is the walk?
It is just the name of the tram/small bus. Helpful if you have trouble walking but otherwise the walk should be refreshing provided the winds are not coming from the south (Kona wind).

As stated above, be careful that you do not exit the airport because the TSA line can be long.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
The booster will be gate-checked so it should be brought up to the gate at HNL. And I don't plan on leaving the secured area.

I guess I will go with a 90 min connection just to be safe?
Just came back from my trip and I can report 90 mins layover was more then adequate for LAX-HNL-KOA AA to HA connection.

I was able to walk from my AA LAX-HNL flight to the interisland terminal gate for the HNL-KOA flight with my 5 years old in 15 minutes, including a brief wait in the jet bridge for the car seat to be brought up. We also stopped for potty break for my son and a quick detour to the garden to look at the koi fish pond.

We then spent the next hour inside the HA Plumeria lounge. The cold soba noodle was quite good but the dipping sauce was just soy sauce.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I am connecting from AS to HA in OGG. Is this connection completely airside?

AS is SMF-OGG
HA is OGG-LIH

Many thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I am connecting from AS to HA in OGG. Is this connection completely airside?

AS is SMF-OGG
HA is OGG-LIH

Many thanks.
Yes. It is very, very simple.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes. It is very, very simple.
Thanks, it has been a few years since i have been to OGG and last time it was my destination so i didn't pay close attention to what a connection might look like.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
I'll be arriving on a DL flight from LAX at 6:40pm and I'm hoping to connect on an Island Air flight at 8:18PM.

I will have 7 people in my party most with checked luggage which I'm assuming Delta won't interline.

Is that enough time to deplane, collect luggage, recheck luggage, clear security, and board?
DL just changed my flight to now arrive at 8:40 which will obviously now make me miss my Island Air connection to LIH. The very last flight to LIH leaves at 10PM on Hawaiian Air. Incredibly frustrating and will probably result in cancellation fees.

Enough time to make the 10PM?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
We have a Delta flight (5 passengers) landing at 4:10 pm (12/17) and on a separate itinerary a flight on HA from HNL-OGG at 6:04 pm (booked using AA miles). We plan on all having carry on bags so we can stay security side. Any issues you think from this? Anyone know if HA allows or has availability generally to move to a different HA flight if you are early or late?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
We have a Delta flight (5 passengers) landing at 4:10 pm (12/17) and on a separate itinerary a flight on HA from HNL-OGG at 6:04 pm (booked using AA miles). We plan on all having carry on bags so we can stay security side. Any issues you think from this? Anyone know if HA allows or has availability generally to move to a different HA flight if you are early or late?
If you're on time, you'll have plenty of time. They'll probably make you pay to get on an earlier flight (sometimes you get a kind agent who won't charge you - but it's probably not worth it with a two hour window). If you're late, they'll put you on another flight with no charge.
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
So long as you arrive on time, you will be fine. Actual boarding of the flight will be around 20 minutes before departure. The only time you will be allowed to go on an earlier flight w/o charge would be if there is an IRROPs situation and they are trying to move people along. Otherwise, I believe the fee is $30 pp, which might be money better spent at the bar
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Getting from united gates to Hawaiian gates?

Going from the United arrival gates to Hawaiian Air gates, can we get there without going through security and stay on air side? Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 19, 2017 at 3:49 am Reason: moved into existing thread on this subject; please refer to post #2
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:35 am

I'm assuming you're talking about HNL, but yes you can walk from United to HA's gates and stay airside. There's also an airside shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.