Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Old May 10, 2014, 9:54 am

Thanks very much!
Originally Posted by Crandall
You should be ok. TSA isn't very busy at interisland that time of the day
Old May 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Looking at Flight Aware, your Air China flight typically arrives between 4:30-5:15. Only rarely does it arrive late, around 6:00. So, you should have a comfortable margin for transit to ITO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCA837
Old May 27, 2014, 2:02 pm

Interislands and International Connecting flights at HNL

I booked two tickets separately for my father-in-law:

1. KOA --> HNL
2. HNL --> Beijing

Both are hawaiian airlines. Can he checkin online for both flights a few hours before departure? Does he need to go through the security check again at HNL airport?

Thank you
Old May 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ziliu2020
I booked two tickets separately for my father-in-law:

1. KOA --> HNL
2. HNL --> Beijing

Both are hawaiian airlines. Can he checkin online for both flights a few hours before departure? Does he need to go through the security check again at HNL airport?

Thank you
He can check-in online up to an hour before the first flight, but not for his Beijing flight (unless he has a Chinese passport):

http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app...etail/a_id/957

He would only need to go through security if he left the secure area, like if his bags were not checked all the way through to PEK, and he had to retrieve them.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
I had a DL flight arriving to HNL at 1:35pm so I booked a Island Air (via UA award) to LIH at 3:20pm. Now I see a time change was made and I now arrive to HNL at 2:16pm.
Do I stand a chance in making it if I'm 2 adults with 2 children (assuming bags get interlined)?

If not what would be my course of action? Seems like I'm SOL as UA wants $100 per ticket and Island Air says they can't modify a UA award. :-(
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:07 am

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

It will be tight. Need to go to commuter terminal and get re screened. If you want to change your flight on Island Air, may be better off just paying for tix.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
It will be tight. Need to go to commuter terminal and get re screened. If you want to change your flight on Island Air, may be better off just paying for tix.
Is it possible? I'm flying J so I can deplane quickly. Tix are gonna be $400 just for this time change. Would like to avoid that if possible.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 747FC
It will be tight. Need to go to commuter terminal and get re screened.
Unless something has changed, one can get to the Commuter Terminal via the "tunnel" and thus avoid having to do a new security line at the terminal.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Unless something has changed, one can get to the Commuter Terminal via the "tunnel" and thus avoid having to do a new security line at the terminal.
Thanks. So your saying it's doable? Question is now if DL agents at JFK will check my bags through when they see I only have an hr connection.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

I, personally, would never try it. But your risk tolerance may be greater than mine
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I, personally, would never try it. But your risk tolerance may be greater than mine
Would you recommend spending 109x3 for a new ticket on HA that'll give me 1.5 hrs (and ditch my island air flight)?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:22 am

Enough time?

We're booked on Hawaiian Airlines flight 344 out of Lihue to HNL on Sat. 6/14. Flight departure time was changed, getting us into HNL 22 minutes later than originally. We have a separate Delta (award) ticket booked, HNL to ATL, that leaves just over 90 minutes later. Given that we will have to collect checked bags and go through security again, is this enough time?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by dixieagle
We're booked on Hawaiian Airlines flight 344 out of Lihue to HNL on Sat. 6/14. Flight departure time was changed, getting us into HNL 22 minutes later than originally. We have a separate Delta (award) ticket booked, HNL to ATL, that leaves just over 90 minutes later. Given that we will have to collect checked bags and go through security again, is this enough time?
If it were me, I would call HA and request rebooking on an earlier flight. Since they changed your flight time, I believe it should be free change. While 90 min may be enough, what happens if there is IRROPS?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

How much time between HA interisland flight and UA mainland flight?

We will be flying OGG-HNL on HA and then catching a flight back to the mainland on UA at 4:45pm.

Would the HA flight arriving into HNL at 1:25pm be sufficient, or would you recommend arriving into HNL an hour earlier at 12:20pm?

I read in a past thread we want to give ourselves a 3 hour buffer for the time it takes to pick up our bags, and recheck them, etc. Worried about the arrival time of 1:25pm possibly being delayed, but also want to spend as much time as possible in Maui.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

You should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.