FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/761311-guide-questions-concerning-connecting-thru-hnl-other-hawai-i-airports.html)

EasternTraveler Feb 12, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks for the info, I think I have about 90 minutes plus to arrive on AA, get my bags and recheck them to HA and then back through security for my flight to KOA.

GBobon Mar 13, 2020 5:50 am

Hi guys.

I have been several times at HNL but I cannot recall if any way to transfer from international to international flight in T2 without clearing the US immigration?

Due to the new entry restrictions announced by the US I am afraid that I won't be able to enter the US (I had transit in Germany on March 6) and now I'm trying to find ways to get back to Europe from Fiji.

My plan is to get to Honolulu, I already have a ticket to HNL, and then transfer to YVR on Air Canada - no checked bag, OLCI.

Do I have to clear immigration for this route? Both airlines (Fiji and AC) are using T2.

Thank you so much!

747FC Mar 13, 2020 9:24 am

Originally Posted by GBobon (Post 32178169)
Hi guys.

I have been several times at HNL but I cannot recall if any way to transfer from international to international flight in T2 without clearing the US immigration?

Due to the new entry restrictions announced by the US I am afraid that I won't be able to enter the US (I had transit in Germany on March 6) and now I'm trying to find ways to get back to Europe from Fiji.

My plan is to get to Honolulu, I already have a ticket to HNL, and then transfer to YVR on Air Canada - no checked bag, OLCI.

Do I have to clear immigration for this route? Both airlines (Fiji and AC) are using T2.

Thank you so much!

No airport in the USA allow for transfers without first going through immigration. HNL is part of the USA, so I’m afraid your plan won’t work. But, are you sure your German transit excludes you?

GBobon Mar 13, 2020 12:44 pm

@747FC, nope, I am not sure if it exclude me or not from the rule... 😕

Will give it a try, there is nothing in my passport that indicates my transit at FRA but the immigration agent will ask if I visited any Schengen countries or not...

747FC Mar 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon (Post 32180054)
@747FC, nope, I am not sure if it exclude me or not from the rule... 😕

Will give it a try, there is nothing in my passport that indicates my transit at FRA but the immigration agent will ask if I visited any Schengen countries or not...

I'm no expert on international law, but I don't think that transiting airports before immigration defines one as having be in a country. Good luck and safe travels.

Hawaiian717 Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

If you’re worried, perhaps consider NAN-SYD-YVR instead? It’s a bit in the wrong direction but it does avoid the US.

bluedemon211 Aug 4, 2020 11:51 pm

Food at HNL

Aloha. Mods; if there is a better place for this question please feel free to move the post.
I'm transiting at HNL from KOA (HA) going to the mainland (UA) next week. I have a 5 hour layover from 1-6 PM. Is there a current list of what restaurants are open and their hours? I know COVID has dramatically changed offerings and hours, but I can't find any current info. Looking to either eat during the layover or carry out for the flight to the mainland. Any input would be welcome. Mahalo for your help!

COSPILOT Aug 5, 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32582485)
Aloha. Mods; if there is a better place for this question please feel free to move the post.
I'm transiting at HNL from KOA (HA) going to the mainland (UA) next week. I have a 5 hour layover from 1-6 PM. Is there a current list of what restaurants are open and their hours? I know COVID has dramatically changed offerings and hours, but I can't find any current info. Looking to either eat during the layover or carry out for the flight to the mainland. Any input would be welcome. Mahalo for your help!

I think my wife said a few things were open, including Burger King.

bocastephen Aug 5, 2020 12:38 am

I would just grab Uber and head into the city or over to Waikiki and get out of the airport, and dine outside somewhere or get take-out and enjoy it along the beach. That's way too long to be spending inside the terminal.

747FC Aug 5, 2020 1:53 am

If you wNt to stretch your legs, you can go to the Airport Industrial Park and get food at some of the restaurants there.

bluedemon211 Aug 5, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks all for your ideas. It gives me some options to consider. Mahalo for your help.

ExpatExp Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 32582504)
I think my wife said a few things were open, including Burger King.

Thanks for that. Is anything else open at HNL right now?

jAAck Nov 14, 2020 6:52 am

Any recent experiences arriving in HNL on AA? I’m curious how long the COVID check is taking after deplaning. Booking a separate ticket on to LIH and would like to make a 1-hour connection to HA flight. Will be sitting at front of plane so a quick exit, but if the COVID check is a lengthy line this is probably a risky bet.

SFO 1K Nov 14, 2020 8:06 am

Not AA., but I just did this on Thursday on UA. Arrived Gate G6, walked to G1 where they had staged the COVID processing tables.
I was in Seat 1A but not first off the plane since we exited via Door 2. Nonetheless, if you have all your paperwork in order, including onward boarding pass, ID and QR code printed on paper, it took me less than 2 minutes at the processing center. Jumped on the Wiki Wiki bus to HA and ended up sitting around for 40 minutes. So very doable.

Eastbay1K Mar 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Question regarding inter-terminal transit. From time to time, if I had time, I'd go out to the HA lounge and then back to the other terminal for my mainland flight. Other than a few extra seconds for the ag check, it was a nice walk and no issue. On my last trip (only COVID era trip so far), I decided this might not be such a good idea. Why? When I originally arrived @ HNL on AS, leaving the concourse where AS is located, an agent sent those of us with wristbands one way, and those without to a destination unknown. Those without wristbands were not free to go anywhere in the airport other than "destination unknown."

My thought was that if I head to the HA gates, and then want to head over to the AS gates, there might be some sort of hangup, sending me on a non-traditional path to who knows where.

Any experience with this?