Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It's probably on a UA codeshare on UA metal. US does not fly any of their metal into Hawai`i.
Hmmm. i could be wrong, but...
US Airways flights to Hawaii begin

US Airways Destinations US Airways now offers service to more than 230 destinations worldwide . Check out our latest additions:

* Lisbon, Portugal
* Stockholm, Sweden
* Milan, Italy
* Oahu, Hawaii
* Maui, Hawaii
* Kauai, Hawaii
* Hawaii's Big Island

US route map shows all 4 locations and shows Hilo specifically as a codeshare.

On-Time Arrival Performance
US Airways Inc. (US) - Honolulu, HI: Honolulu International - July 2006
- same link shows OGG, HNL, and KOA.

While the ORD, DEN, SFO and LAX flights in their schedule are certainly UA, I'd be very surprised if the HNL-PHX, OGG-PHX, OGG-LAS, LIH-PHX, or KOA-PHX flights to US hubs are on other metal.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 23, 2006 at 12:48 pm
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't see USAirways listed as flying to anywhere in HI. I'm pretty sure that they fly to HNL, LIH, OGG, and KOA. At least I hope so, as I just booked tickets to LIH
Yeah, despite US Air flying to HNL since December, I've been a little slow at updating the airlines portion of the thread.

I'm thinking about removing it altogether or perhaps dumbing it down to include only the carriers operating. Might be a little easier...
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:44 pm

connection timing question

We are flying on Delta from LAX to HNL arriving at 11:30am. Will we be able to make a Hawaiian Air 12:30pm flight to Kauai? I assume our bags go straight through but I am not sure how far apart the terminals are.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 5:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You might want to take a look at this thread.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6425471

An hour is less than I would be comfortable with. You will probably make it, but if there's any delay or you're in the back of the plane it could add time. You're about a 10-15 minute walk.

I'd say the chances though of your luggage making the transfer are 50/50. If not, it will come on the next flight. That happens alot here
Old Sep 30, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Joyce15
We are flying on Delta from LAX to HNL arriving at 11:30am. Will we be able to make a Hawaiian Air 12:30pm flight to Kauai? I assume our bags go straight through but I am not sure how far apart the terminals are.
The bags won't go straight to LIH without you actually telling the agent upon departure in LAX that you want to "check your bags straight through to LIH." If you don't make sure that your bags are tagged to LIH, they will inevitably end up at the baggage claim at HNL. The link that cblaisd provided above has a lot of great information on what to do to make sure you bags are tagged to LIH.

And, ::mod hat on:: as common practice, I'll move this thread to the Hawaii State forum, where all questions regarding traveling within Hawaii belong.

Aloha,

--slippahs, Hawaii-based Airlines co-mod
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Ditto all the above - we made a 33 minute connection in HNL - CO->HA (maui). Our bags didn't, but came on the next flight. HA said minimum bag connection time in HNL to HA is 1:30. HA said they'd deliver the bags, but it was only about a 40 minute wait - we got the rental car, came back & picked up the bags about 10 min later.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
How about timimg going the other way? Is 45 minutes enough time to connect in HNL from an Island Air flight to an HA flight back to the mainland? Is that too big of a chance to take with Island Air, or are they fairly reliable?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cactuspete
How about timimg going the other way? Is 45 minutes enough time to connect in HNL from an Island Air flight to an HA flight back to the mainland? Is that too big of a chance to take with Island Air, or are they fairly reliable?
I would say you're taking a chance. Although it's not a big deal, you still have to go through the ag. screening station, and the HA domestic and Island Air commuter terminals are not exactly close together. I would allow at least 60-75 minutes, especially since the Mainland flights board earlier than the interisland ones. Plus if you miss the domestic flight, it's not as easy to take the "next" flight as it is with interisland flights...
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Completely agree with slippahs here.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just added a new section entitled "(3) Tips for those departing out of HNL where HNL is the point of departure." If you have any suggestions or additions to this topic, please feel free to pass them along.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 5:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

CNX Time and Interline Questions

I've never done a same-day inter-island connection, so I'd appreciate some help.

We're landing in HNL on UA at 12:46PM. Could we make a 2PM Aloha flight? I'm not sure if we're checking a bag or not - we may do all carry on. But if we do, UA at LAX can check it all the way through on Aloha as long as I have my ticket number, etc, correct?

Now the bigger question. For our return, we're departing HNL for ORD at 5:15PM. We're coming from LIH, this time on Hawaiian. I'm assuming a 3:46pm arrival time to HNL - 90 minutes prior to our UA flight's departure, is enough time. Is that correct? Since we're coming back on Hawaiian, can the HA agents in LIH check our bag all the way through for our UA flights to the mainland?

Thanks very much in advance for the input.

Steve
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Connecting to a Mainland Flight from an Interisland Flight

There is a wealth of info for those connecting into Hawaii, but I could not find any information for those who will be flying into HNL via Aloha or Hawaiian Air, and then connecting to a mainland carrier, such as Continental, especially if the tickets are purchased separately (not on one itinerary). Can the luggage be checked to the final destination from the interisland carrier? It would be difficult to have to claim the bags at HNL, and then recheck them at HNL, as well as redoing the entire checkin process.

Hopfully, the process will be seamless, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for all of the helpful info in the past.

DD
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
There is a wealth of info for those connecting into Hawaii, but I could not find any information for those who will be flying into HNL via Aloha or Hawaiian Air, and then connecting to a mainland carrier, such as Continental, especially if the tickets are purchased separately (not on one itinerary). Can the luggage be checked to the final destination from the interisland carrier? It would be difficult to have to claim the bags at HNL, and then recheck them at HNL, as well as redoing the entire checkin process.
Aloha. You'll find this information above in Post #2 under the heading "Return Flight:".

To answer your question, yes the process is seamless, just repeat the process backwards. You will not have to reclaim bags in HNL, just have the luggage checked to your final destination.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lockers at HNL?

Are there any lockers to secure a roll-aboard in for a couple of hours?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Are there any lockers to secure a roll-aboard in for a couple of hours?
The lockers have been closed since 9/11 (though some other airports have re-opened up lockers, e.g., MSP).

You might consider seeing if one of the HNL clubs will secure your bags for you, if you have a membership/day pass w/one of those clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.