Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sorry for making what is assuredly an unnecessary new thread; I assumed there would be a wiki with this information but found only this thread (and currently at NRT, so unable to crawl through 1000 posts): Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Flying NRT-HNL on JL, then HNL-OGG on HA a few hours later. Bags were tagged only to HNL. We have checked in online (but have no hard copy boarding passes) for HNL-OGG. Is there a bag recheck counter at HNL after immigration/customs like at most major US airports? Or do we need to take the bags somewhere else first? Any general guidance (or link to a thread on connecting from international specifically to inter-island) would be useful. TIA.
You can only re-check a luggage at an US airport if it is tagged to final destination. In this case, you luggage is only tagged to HNL so you can't re-check it at the bag drop. You have to physically present the luggage at a HA counter for them to put the OGG tag on it so you need to take it with you to the inter-island terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Connecting UA IAH-HNL to Mokulele HNL-JHM

Just wanted to see if we can still stay on the secure side from inter-island terminal to commuter terminal via the stairs/walk on tarmac as is stated on the sticky. When I go to the Honolulu airport site, it sounds like we have to go down to the first floor at the inter island terminal, walk roadside to the commuter terminal, and reclear security at the commuter terminal.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by airlineaddict
Just wanted to see if we can still stay on the secure side from inter-island terminal to commuter terminal via the stairs/walk on tarmac as is stated on the sticky. When I go to the Honolulu airport site, it sounds like we have to go down to the first floor at the inter island terminal, walk roadside to the commuter terminal, and reclear security at the commuter terminal.

Thanks in advance for the help!
sorry, cant help you. Im sure a call to Mokulele would be informative.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:41 pm

Food in United Lounge (3/18) HNL

Have there been any changes to the food offerings available in the HNL United Lounge since this time last year? We will be there early afternoon (noon-2:30-ish). Do they still serve soup? Anything else that would constitute lunch?

Well bring food with us to have dinner during the flight - sardines and bananas (no, not really!!!!).

Last edited by Amyw; Mar 6, 2018 at 5:41 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Adding to what I have probably posted concerning the best thing about this airport is that I discovered last week is that you can now buy Hawaiian Cookie Company cookies in the inter-island terminal (as well as in the main terminal cookie shop and the Galleria dept. store). The best store bought cookies anywhere on earth. I recommend the macadamia nut chocolate chip shortbread mini cookies (and they're probably the best deal), but they're all good. I even order online and use them as a dessert item whenever we have parties.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Amyw
Have there been any changes to the food offerings available in the HNL United Lounge since this time last year? We will be there early afternoon (noon-2:30-ish). Do they still serve soup? Anything else that would constitute lunch?

Well bring food with us to have dinner during the flight - sardines and bananas (no, not really!!!!).
About the same. Soup, cheese and crackers, salads, chips, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott Plat (lifetime), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have an interisland flight coming up in a couple days. I am already on the island. Can I enter the airport in Terminal 3 to use the lounges and then stay airside to get over to the Makai Pier/Interisland Terminal?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott Plat (lifetime), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scotty00
I have an interisland flight coming up in a couple days. I am already on the island. Can I enter the airport in Terminal 3 to use the lounges and then stay airside to get over to the Makai Pier/Interisland Terminal?
I'll answer my own question. Yes you can walk from the overseas terminal to the inter-island and Makai terminals while still staying airside.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi. I had to book our departure flights in two parts. I currently have the HNL - IAH flight booked but I need to get from OGG - HNL on a separate Hawaiian flight. (United tried to charge $300 extra to book together for a $100 flight). How much time should I allow for getting to HNL, retrieving bags, and checking in again? We have TSA Pre-Check that should help.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Hi. I had to book our departure flights in two parts. I currently have the HNL - IAH flight booked but I need to get from OGG - HNL on a separate Hawaiian flight. (United tried to charge $300 extra to book together for a $100 flight). How much time should I allow for getting to HNL, retrieving bags, and checking in again? We have TSA Pre-Check that should help.
At least three hours on the ground. HA can take forever to deliver your bags (40 minutes is not unheard of). You then have to get to the very furthest end of the airport to find UA. (It can be a 20-min walk or a 20-minute coach ride.) Add luggage checkin and going through pre-check: Another 1/2 hour?

So, giving yourself three hours on the ground gives you some extra time in case there is an unlikely IRROPS major delay getting from OGG-HNL.
cdancer20 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
At least three hours on the ground. HA can take forever to deliver your bags (40 minutes is not unheard of). You then have to get to the very furthest end of the airport to find UA. (It can be a 20-min walk or a 20-minute coach ride.) Add luggage checkin and going through pre-check: Another 1/2 hour?

So, giving yourself three hours on the ground gives you some extra time in case there is an unlikely IRROPS major delay getting from OGG-HNL.
Would it be better for me to purchase my HA ticket through UA with miles and try to have them join the PNR? Is that possible since they weren't booked together?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Would it be better for me to purchase my HA ticket through UA with miles and try to have them join the PNR? Is that possible since they weren't booked together?
"Better" is a decision only you can make. I doubt you can do it with miles unless your original ticket was a mileage ticket. Call them and find out, and then report back to the community.

Remember, I gave you a healthy time in HNL to minimize the possibility of missing your UA flight. If you have more risk-tolerance, you can connect with less time.
cdancer20 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC

Apologies, I could not see any more detail than this on how long to allow for transfer.
"(3) A Note About Connecting from an International Flight to an Interisland Flight on Hawaiian Airlines

Once clearing customs, passengers may recheck their bags in the bag re-check area."

Arriving into HNL from AKL on AirNZ and want to head onto JHM on Hawaiian Airlines. Giving the lack of JHM flights I was hoping for a 2 hour connection which I seem to manage at other mainland airports (although our bags are usually through checked). It seems the consensus is 3 hours? In which case perhaps I should fly via OGG so at least if I miss it there are more options. Given it is not a single PNR then it would be problematic to miss the flight.

Thanks
Old May 7, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Apologies, I could not see any more detail than this on how long to allow for transfer.
"(3) A Note About Connecting from an International Flight to an Interisland Flight on Hawaiian Airlines

Once clearing customs, passengers may recheck their bags in the bag re-check area."

Arriving into HNL from AKL on AirNZ and want to head onto JHM on Hawaiian Airlines. Giving the lack of JHM flights I was hoping for a 2 hour connection which I seem to manage at other mainland airports (although our bags are usually through checked). It seems the consensus is 3 hours? In which case perhaps I should fly via OGG so at least if I miss it there are more options. Given it is not a single PNR then it would be problematic to miss the flight.

Thanks
The JHM and OGG flights are both HA, so if they are going to help you out on a missed flight, I would expect them to get you to OGG if there are no more JHM flights for the day.

A two hour connection is easier International --> HA, as HA's terminal is quite close to the International terminal. However, there are sometimes pesky immigration lines, assuming you do not have Global Entry.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am flying QF3 to HNL early next year, with wife and 2 kids. QF3 should arrive at HNL at 9:00am.

We want to go to Maui on that day as well, and I am looking at Hawaiian Airlines website, is HA256 departing 11:29am acceptable? Or I really need to choose HA276 (departing 11:50am) or HA286 (departing 12:20pm) or HA296 (1:02pm) to be safe? Note that the tickets would be separate and not in the same PNR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.