Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
We are arriving HNL on United (Gate 9 at the moment) and connecting to Hawaiian to fly to Kona. One member of the party is mobility limited (can walk, but with assistive device). Is the Wiki Wiki bus available immediately above the UA gates (same level as United Club) or do we have to go to the area near bag claim and then take the escalator up to the 3rd level to catch the bus? Trying to minimize walking for them as much as possible. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
We are arriving HNL on United (Gate 9 at the moment) and connecting to Hawaiian to fly to Kona. One member of the party is mobility limited (can walk, but with assistive device). Is the Wiki Wiki bus available immediately above the UA gates (same level as United Club) or do we have to go to the area near bag claim and then take the escalator up to the 3rd level to catch the bus? Trying to minimize walking for them as much as possible. Thanks!
You may find this of interest...

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/intra-airport-transportation
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:20 pm

We have a HA connection to KOA within an hour and 15 of flying in to HNL on delta.Is this feasible?

I understand Delta flies in to main and HA departs from Interisland terminals. Whats the fastest way to transfer between the two. Would we have to go through security again?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by krisk13
We have a HA connection to KOA within an hour and 15 of flying in to HNL on delta.Is this feasible?

I understand Delta flies in to main and HA departs from Interisland terminals. Whats the fastest way to transfer between the two. Would we have to go through security again?
If you do not have checked luggage, and assuming you arrive on time, you can make it. You do not need to reenter through security.

If you have checked luggage, it would be extremely difficulty for you to make this connection.

Check upthread for a link for the Wiki Wiki bus, that you would use if you have difficulty walking. If no difficulty walking, it would be faster for you to take your hand-carry and walk to the interisland terminal.

If you have baggage and would like to walk, I would take the elevator up to the check-in-level and walk on that level to the interisland terminal. Advise against walking there at the baggage claim level.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you do not have checked luggage, and assuming you arrive on time, you can make it. You do not need to reenter through security.

If you have checked luggage, it would be extremely difficulty for you to make this connection.

Check upthread for a link for the Wiki Wiki bus, that you would use if you have difficulty walking. If no difficulty walking, it would be faster for you to take your hand-carry and walk to the interisland terminal.

If you have baggage and would like to walk, I would take the elevator up to the check-in-level and walk on that level to the interisland terminal. Advise against walking there at the baggage claim level.
Thank you for the fast response. We wont have any checked in bags and plan to take the faster route(walk?). So we take the walkway within the secured area, past the check in counters and agricultural screening station all the way to the gates.?

Also, what terminal/gate does DL(from SFO) usually fly into?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by krisk13
Thank you for the fast response. We wont have any checked in bags and plan to take the faster route(walk?). So we take the walkway within the secured area, past the check in counters and agricultural screening station all the way to the gates.?

Also, what terminal/gate does DL(from SFO) usually fly into?
Looking at the second floor map:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-information

Not sure exactly what gates you will use on Delta, but United mostly uses 6-11.

To reach your interisland flights, DO NOT go to the lobby area. Stay in the airside walkway/mall, and head past gates 24/25. Your interisland flights will either leave in the bay of gates 49-53, or the group 54-61.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: QANTAS FF
I'm arriving on Jetstar flight JQ3 from Sydney (scheduled to arrive at 6:40am) on Friday with checked baggage. Looking at flying on to LAX on DL1150 (departing at 8:08am) or AA280 (departing at 8:28am). I'm a tourist on an Australian passport (with ESTA in place).

Is that enough time to reclaim bags, clear customs/immigration, recheck and make either of those two flights?

Would DL/AA just let me take the next available flight if I were to miss either of those two?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Ted_E_Bare
I'm arriving on Jetstar flight JQ3 from Sydney (scheduled to arrive at 6:40am) on Friday with checked baggage. Looking at flying on to LAX on DL1150 (departing at 8:08am) or AA280 (departing at 8:28am). I'm a tourist on an Australian passport (with ESTA in place).

Is that enough time to reclaim bags, clear customs/immigration, recheck and make either of those two flights?

Would DL/AA just let me take the next available flight if I were to miss either of those two?
As a regular on JQ3 unless you are seated in business or first few rows of economy, and have hand luggage only you have little to no chance on getting on either of those flights.

JQ3 arrives late more often than on time (or early) and also uses one of the gates that is the longest distance from the main terminal.

I have done the JQ3/AA270 connection 3 times, twice I made it (hand luggage only, business to first class and ran from/to gate) and once got put on the afternoon flight (all in the past 12 months).

I wanted to do the same connection next week, however, travelling with 2 others, and checked baggage all round we straight out opted for the afternoon flights and will grab a car for a few hours to get away from the airport.

As a benchmark, in November when I got off JQ3 baggage did not start coming off the carousel till approx 7:50am after an arrival time of 6:55am (20 minutes late)
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: QANTAS FF
Originally Posted by file51
As a regular on JQ3 unless you are seated in business or first few rows of economy, and have hand luggage only you have little to no chance on getting on either of those flights.

JQ3 arrives late more often than on time (or early) and also uses one of the gates that is the longest distance from the main terminal.

I have done the JQ3/AA270 connection 3 times, twice I made it (hand luggage only, business to first class and ran from/to gate) and once got put on the afternoon flight (all in the past 12 months).

I wanted to do the same connection next week, however, travelling with 2 others, and checked baggage all round we straight out opted for the afternoon flights and will grab a car for a few hours to get away from the airport.

As a benchmark, in November when I got off JQ3 baggage did not start coming off the carousel till approx 7:50am after an arrival time of 6:55am (20 minutes late)
I'm still tempted to try as I really want to get to LAX ASAP. If I miss the Delta flight, would they just book me on the next flight at no extra cost (flat tyre rule)?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Ted_E_Bare
I'm still tempted to try as I really want to get to LAX ASAP. If I miss the Delta flight, would they just book me on the next flight at no extra cost (flat tyre rule)?
Not unless you were paying a fare that allows this, and then it is subject to availability and you would be liable for any fare difference. I have not flown DL from HNL-LAX before, but on AA & UA the flights more often than not are full which creates it's own problem if you miss the earlier flight.

Given you will be on 2 totally separate PNR's you will be afforded no protection if the JQ flight is late, cancelled etc etc or you encounter delays with Immigration, baggage reclaim etc etc

Obviously if you have status with Delta you may be looked after differently

I guess if something happened, smile, be nice and cross your fingers
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:19 am

Lei stands outside interisland terminal

I'm going to be on a Mainland to HNL HA flight connecting to an inter-island HA flight. Is 75 minutes enough time to arrive, leave the secure area, go across the street to the lei stands to get leis and then re-clear security at the inter-island terminal?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by kilbornr
I'm going to be on a Mainland to HNL HA flight connecting to an inter-island HA flight. Is 75 minutes enough time to arrive, leave the secure area, go across the street to the lei stands to get leis and then re-clear security at the inter-island terminal?
Sure, but why do you want to do that? You can get lei within the terminals, or at whatever neighbor island is your destination.

And while 75 min makes it possible, it really is not an easy walk due to construction and placement.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would definitely not attempt this, even with Pre-Check.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:20 pm

Hi, This will be my maiden trip to hawaii. I will be coming from ICN with Korean air to HNL and to interstate with hawaiian air to Kona. My question is, what will be a comfortable time to allow between flight. I will have to go thru immigration and customs as I'm a tourist. My Korean flight arrive 9.30am .
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:49 pm

Lei Success

We did this successfully last week before I saw your responses. There was no time crunch at all.

Sure, but why do you want to do that? You can get lei within the terminals, or at whatever neighbor island is your destination.
Everything I've read said that lei were much cheaper and higher quality at the stands than inside the terminal. Also, doing this during a layover is better than spending time at the final destination searching for a lei. It worked out well for us.

And while 75 min makes it possible, it really is not an easy walk due to construction and placement.
Agreed that if you attempt this, you need to know where you are going. There are no signs or anything. We got lost for about 5-10 minutes trying to figure out how to cross the street. We eventually figured out that there is a crosswalk near the middle of the arrivals level of the interisland terminal that goes to a parking lot/garage which then leads to the back of the lei stands. If you knew where you were going, it would take no more than 15 minutes from the HA overseas terminal to the lei stand. It took us about 25 with the wandering.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I would definitely not attempt this, even with Pre-Check.
Pre-check took 30 seconds. We were back at the gate for the next flight with 45 minutes to spare and I'm glad we took the detour. Even with a slightly worse security line and no pre-check, I think we would have been fine.

You can probably sneak a peak at the security line before you leave the secure area if time is tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.