FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by TJtv
I'm flying Delta from the mainland to/from HNL, but I really need to get to LIH. Flight arrives HNL at 4:03pm. Hawaiian Air and Island Air each have flights from HNL-LIH at 5:26/5:27pm. Is this enough time to make the connection? I will be purchasing a separate ticket. Will Delta be able to check my bags all the way through to LIH, or will I have to retrieve them at HNL and recheck them? Is there any difference betwee Island Air/Hawaiian Air in this regard? I'm in First class on the Delta flight which entitles me to free checked luggage, but I'll be in coach on the inter-island flight, how does the fee work?
If you have to recheck, this link provides fee information. Hawaiian usually doesn't allow much deviation from the weight requirements. http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app...id/80#domestic

Hawaiian is located in the inter island terminal that is located next to the terminal where you will be landing. Island Air is located in the commuter terminal. This map shows the passage way to Hawaiian Air to avoid having to go through security. Have read that there is a way to avoid security at commuter terminal, but I've never done it. The line should be short.

If you have to recheck luggage you'd be cutting it very close. Hawaiian requires 30-min prior to flight check-in. However, the luggage should go on the next flight. If you don't have TSA pre on your boarding pass, the security line could be a problem (very long at times). If you have to have your ticket printed at HNL, use the kiosk as the printers that the agents use are not programmed to print the TSA pre, and you will not be allowed to use the lane. One way to get around this is to check in on a mobile device that shows the TSA pre. i tried to talk my way into the line with my global entry card, but that didn't work.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/serv...port-maps.aspx
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:41 am

My situation has changed a bit. I am now planning to spend the first few days of the trip in honolulu, so my concern is now on the return side of the trip.

My delta flight from HNL - LAX departs at 12:30pm. I was planning to book the Hawaiian Airlines flight from LIH-HNL that arrives HNL at 10:23am. I assume that 2+ hours is enough time to make the connection? At LIH, will Hawaiian check my bags through to my delta flight? If not and I have to retrieve them and recheck the bags myself is the 2 hours still sufficient?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
I'm arriving at 0250 from Majuro, departing 0620 to SFO on UA. One checked bag. Does United transfer bag or do I have to claim it and re-check...AND get it inspected By Dept. Ag? Is anything open at that time?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by artvandalay
I'm arriving at 0250 from Majuro, departing 0620 to SFO on UA. One checked bag. Does United transfer bag or do I have to claim it and re-check...AND get it inspected By Dept. Ag? Is anything open at that time?
Is anything open? Like the Ag Department? Yes. Your checked bags will need inspection. I would contact your airline regarding transferring bag for you.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:11 am

MCT @ HNL

hi all,
I flying from KOA to HNL on Hawaiian and connecting to LAX on UA on separate tickets.

How much time should I reserve to collect bags and re-check for my flight on UA to LAX?

Any help is highly appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
1. Other more adventuresome souls would counsel less, but I wouldn't do it on less than a two hour connection.

2. You should see, though, if HA will "interline check" your bags at KOA all the way through to LAX. Reports vary wildly, but it's worth a shot.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
1. Other more adventuresome souls would counsel less, but I wouldn't do it on less than a two hour connection.
Me either if I checked a bag and I have to have time to stop and buy Honolulu Cookies - the BEST packaged cookies ever. The mini chocolate chip macadamia shortbreads are addictive.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I am a little confused by the wiki. I will be flying UA EWR-HNL then HA HNL-OGG then back. UA and HA are booked on separate tickets.

As I understand, going to hawaii, I can check a bag via UA, however HA will not interline to the HA fight. I will need to pickup the bag and either re-check (paying a fee) or carry on. How much time is added to pickup the bag and just carry on? Do I exit the secure area?

On the way back, if I carry-on for HA, then want to check my bag for UA, how much extra time does that add? Do I need to exit security?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I am a little confused by the wiki. I will be flying UA EWR-HNL then HA HNL-OGG then back. UA and HA are booked on separate tickets.

As I understand, going to hawaii, I can check a bag via UA, however HA will not interline to the HA fight. I will need to pickup the bag and either re-check (paying a fee) or carry on. How much time is added to pickup the bag and just carry on? Do I exit the secure area?

On the way back, if I carry-on for HA, then want to check my bag for UA, how much extra time does that add? Do I need to exit security?
You will need to exit security in both instances.

For EWR-HNL-OGG, you will need to exit security, go to street-level, retrieve baggage (Areas H/G) and then find your way to the Interisland Terminal (Lobbies 2/3). A 15 minute walk, or you can use the Wiki Wiki buses. If you have never done this, I would give yourself 3 hours so you don't stress out, especially if you do not have Precheck with HA.

For OGG_HNL-EWR, you will be landing in the Interisland Terminal, and will have to make your way to the Main terminal for UA (Lobby 8). If you were going to carryon everything, then you would not need to exit the secure area, by going through the walkway by Gate 54. If you are checking the bags with UA, then you would need to exit the secure area.

Here is the terminal Map: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-information
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks, I'll just stick with my carry-on for the outbound since my layover is about an hour and I may want to "standby/change" to an earlier HA flight depending. I'll be in F anyways so I don't expect an issue with storage.

On the way back, I have 4hrs so I may check my bag, especially since I'm on the fence with whether I may attempt to venture out to see anything or grab a bite to eat. I do have GE so I should get precheck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I do have GE so I should get precheck.
Make sure you enter your Trusted Traveler number with HA....
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

Yep, its in there
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Hi all. I'm considering booking a reward flight for my girlfriend who travels often domestically but rarely internationally. The itinerary is SFO-HNL-SYD all on the same HA ticket with a 50 minute connection in HNL. Based on this thread and personal experience, I'm presuming a couple of things, so I was hoping someone would be willing to correct me if I am wrong on any of them:

1) HA gates in the domestic and international terminals are all behind the same security checkpoint, so there is no need to exit and reclear.
2) 50 minutes is enough time (presuming inbound is on time) even if there is a long walk involved between concourses.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Hi all. I'm considering booking a reward flight for my girlfriend who travels often domestically but rarely internationally. The itinerary is SFO-HNL-SYD all on the same HA ticket with a 50 minute connection in HNL. Based on this thread and personal experience, I'm presuming a couple of things, so I was hoping someone would be willing to correct me if I am wrong on any of them:

1) HA gates in the domestic and international terminals are all behind the same security checkpoint, so there is no need to exit and reclear.
2) 50 minutes is enough time (presuming inbound is on time) even if there is a long walk involved between concourses.
The HA gates are all airside, and therefore no need to re-clear security. However, depending on which gates she arrives at a departs from, she may need to have her carryon scanned by agiculture. 2 minute delay at tops.

It is possible that arrival and departure gates could be very close, or even the same gate. At most, it will be a 15 minute walk. If HA books the itinerary, it is within the minimum connect time.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Having a LIH-(HNL)-ANC trip coming up with a HA/AS combo with 2:30 hrs time to connect, so I guess I'm safe. (whole trip on one ticket)

Still, the luggage (interlining) situation is unclear - can I check thru in LIH? If so, do I need to go to agriculture inspection there? How long is it open? Or should I re-check in HNL and go to agri insp there?

(Finally - do AS provide lounge access to BA elites? Just wishful thinking, probably)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.