Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by txp
We will be arriving at HNL on UA from Houston IAH and transfer to HA flight to KOA. These are separate tickets so we will have to claim our bags in HNL and re-check them on the HA flight to KOA. Do you recommend (a) taking the bus to the inter-island terminal, or (b) walk the 1/2 mile or so to the inter-island terminal? Thank you!
You can still ask HA to check your bags through to your UA destination as HA/UA interline - if they decline, you can re-check.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
You should be just fine on the outbound.....Arrive HNL....walk ...forget the WiKi WiKi....it's. A slow boat.... Reports have been that bags are still being interlined.
The return is a different story.....pick-up bags at HNL....build in plenty of time.
Surely HA will dump this latest roadblock...and go back to the freely flowing transition thru HNL. Yikes.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta
Here's a decent map of the layout of HNL. It's not a large place. One could walk the full length of the terminals in about 15 minutes without rushing.

http://hawaii23.com/other/HNL_Directory.pdf
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Yes... however, WP has stringent carry on requirements in terms of weight and the agent at check in may ask you to weigh your bag and force you to check it if it's overweight (20 lbs?). Best solution is to avoid the check-in counters.
On our inter-island trip last week on Island Air I was not able to check in online nor was I able to get a boarding pass without having to weigh carry-ons.

We had friends on a different flight and asked them to watch our bags so my family showed up at the counter w/o roller bags to weigh. The agent asked about carry-ons and said she would need to weigh them before she could issue boarding passes. She was nice and let me shift items from bag to bag and re-weigh to where we only had to pay $15 to check one bag. (They did not weigh backpacks/handbags.) As we entered the Dash 8 I had no idea where the rollerbags would go, but they went under the seat in front of you. I've never been on a plane with that much space under the seats.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
As of 1/15/13, Delta will no longer interline bags to Hawaiian Air flights on to the islands, unless it's all booked on one ticket.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2013-a.html

We've already booked our flights to HNL roundtrip and need to purchase separate tickets to LIH, our first destination and later from KOA, our second stay back to HNL to catch our Delta flights home.

As I understand it, we'll have to pick up our checked bags at HNL because of this new policy……..go to the Hawaiian Air ticket counter and check our bags. Then we'll have to go thru TSA, right? How long should I allow between our Delta flights and our LIH Hawaiian Air flight?

Same question for our return when we'll fly from KOA on Hawaiian and need to pick our checked bags and then recheck them at Delta, going thru TSA again.

In selecting and booking my flights on Hawaiian Airlines, I don't want to call the timing too close, but also don't want to waste time sitting around the airport.

If something bad happened like a Delta flight delay and we missed the Hawaiian flight on to LIH, are they pretty good about letting you get on the next available Hawaiian Airlines flight?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
As of 1/15/13, Delta will no longer interline bags to Hawaiian Air flights on to the islands, unless it's all booked on one ticket.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2013-a.html

We've already booked our flights to HNL roundtrip and need to purchase separate tickets to LIH, our first destination and later from KOA, our second stay back to HNL to catch our Delta flights home.

As I understand it, we'll have to pick up our checked bags at HNL because of this new policy……..go to the Hawaiian Air ticket counter and check our bags. Then we'll have to go thru TSA, right? How long should I allow between our Delta flights and our LIH Hawaiian Air flight?

Same question for our return when we'll fly from KOA on Hawaiian and need to pick our checked bags and then recheck them at Delta, going thru TSA again.

In selecting and booking my flights on Hawaiian Airlines, I don't want to call the timing too close, but also don't want to waste time sitting around the airport.

If something bad happened like a Delta flight delay and we missed the Hawaiian flight on to LIH, are they pretty good about letting you get on the next available Hawaiian Airlines flight?
Yes, they'll put you on the next available Hawaiian flight but also let you know what a big favor they're doing for you.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yes, they'll put you on the next available Hawaiian flight but also let you know what a big favor they're doing for you.
Good to know - thanks.

Does anyone know how much time to allow between flights - to get my bags at Delta baggage claim, then recheck them at the Hawaiian Airlines Counter, and go thru TSA (again)?

Our Delta flight arrives at 4:00. My choices for Hawaiian Airline departures are either 5:39 or 7:53. Delta told me I should have 2 hours - really? So I'd like to go for the 5:39 departure - think it''ll work?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL: Gold
I previously had a 90 minute layover at HNL arriving on a HA flight from Hilo, connecting to a Delta flight back to the mainland. Upped it to 2.5 hours to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rsoxtim
I previously had a 90 minute layover at HNL arriving on a HA flight from Hilo, connecting to a Delta flight back to the mainland. Upped it to 2.5 hours to be on the safe side.
If the bags are tagged as SP and come out first you should make it. If not... might not

With the 4 PM arrival how 'on time' is it? I know DL can pad its schedule a bit, especially coming back from Hawaii- my HNL-LAX flight got in about 30 minutes early (as did most that month). Other potential issue is if your flight is delayed or you possibly miss a cxn before- I'd choose the later flight myself- or preferred book right to the island of choice.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Connect Time and Qs. at HNL between UA and HA

We will arrive from Guam 6:15pm 2/12 and need to connect to a Hawaiin flight to OGG. How much time do we need? Will we go through Customs or any other lengthy process?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by skiermsm
We will arrive from Guam 6:15pm 2/12 and need to connect to a Hawaiin flight to OGG. How much time do we need? Will we go through Customs or any other lengthy process?
Two separate tix or one interlinked ticket? Checked bags or no? Shouldn't be any customs other than normal APHIS ag check AFAIK.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:35 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Destination->Hawaii forum, where there is a sticky thread re connections in Hawaii. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
Depends on whether you checked in luggage or not. Guam is still the US, so passport and visa are unnecessary IIRC, although agriculture might "bother" you a bit, but all in all, HNL is a pretty easy-going and efficient airport, and, if you miss the connection, there are sure to be several more flights to Maui that eve.

Originally Posted by skiermsm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
If HA flight is on same tix you can just drop your bags off immediately after customs and then do the short walk over to the interisland terminal. If on a separate tix, you can try and get the checkin agent at GUM to add your HA itin details so the bag tags show all the way through. I've recently encountered resistance @ NRT with this approach since apparently HA is cracking down and only wants to accept bags from true "one ticket" itins.

Worst case you can just walk over to the interisland terminal with your bags and check @ the HA kiosk/roundabout.

I usually give myself no less than 1 hour between arrival and the OGG leg. Global Entry helps but I haven't ever seen HNL get too backed up for those without.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hi all - new to this forum - hope somebody can help! We're arriving at OGG from Seattle at 2:35 on Hawaiian & have a 3:45 connecting flight to Oahu, also on HA....wondering what the distance is between gates (I know gates can change - just wanting a ballpark idea). Next ? is: how far from the Interisland Terminal to baggage claim in HNL? -- I've got breathing issues & am wondering if I should arrange for a wheelchair, do the WikiWiki or is it walkable? Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.