FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: Yes.
Inter Island Question

So I read the FAQ's on this, but wanted to see if you guys thought this was reasonable. We fly 3/16 AS SAN-HNL arriving at 12:10pm. We are considering booking the 1pm or the 3pm flight to LIH.

We prefer the 1pm if we can make it, but don't want to pay SDC fees for later flight if we miss it. Without checked baggage (or check baggage through to LIH), do you think this is enough time?

Also, on the return we fly 3/23 AS HNL-SAN at 2:50pm. Will the interisland flight from LIH check baggage all the way through to SAN? If so how much time do you usually budget yourself.

Lastly, any ideas how to reduce the costs of these flights??? Last I checked they're $185 R/T. No HA awards for Virgin avail. Argh.

Thanks!

Last edited by econjon; Jan 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm Reason: add dates
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by econjon
So I read the FAQ's on this, but wanted to see if you guys thought this was reasonable. We fly 3/16 AS SAN-HNL arriving at 12:10pm. We are considering booking the 1pm or the 3pm flight to LIH.

We prefer the 1pm if we can make it, but don't want to pay SDC fees for later flight if we miss it. Without checked baggage (or check baggage through to LIH), do you think this is enough time?

Also, on the return we fly 3/23 AS HNL-SAN at 2:50pm. Will the interisland flight from LIH check baggage all the way through to SAN? If so how much time do you usually budget yourself.

Lastly, any ideas how to reduce the costs of these flights??? Last I checked they're $185 R/T. No HA awards for Virgin avail. Argh.

Thanks!
I have no idea about the timing of your flights..but other then using miles your pretty much screwed about getting the flight....

if you do go with hawaiian and you don't have any other way to benefit go thru the banners on here

http://www.laohana.com/mike-deals-of-da-day/

if you wanna try the go! route...there is a somewhat cheaper way..but much more complicated for you..to do... for $149 per roundtrip

http://www.oldies1079honolulu.com/go...awaiisalem.com
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu
if you wanna try the go! route...there is a somewhat cheaper way..but much more complicated for you..to do... for $149 per roundtrip

http://www.oldies1079honolulu.com/go...awaiisalem.com
Ha, have to pass! Thanks for the reply tho.

Booked with the 40 min layover.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Thanks!
You can make it as long as your flight is on time, you have no checked luggage and you are in good health so you can walk fast. Generally, they don't start boarding until 20 minutes before the flight takes off (despite what they tell you). But you should check in online for the HA flight. On your return, if AS has a partner agreement, they will check the luggage through for you. I take it you're going to shop on Kauai, otherwise, why would you have checked luggage only one way?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Econjon.. Have you checked all of the airlines like Go, Interisland Air, etc?

I fly HA, but this year because I'm hopping multiple islands, I'm going for lower rates to minimize cost..
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:52 am

Yep, checked em all. Found a coupon for onetravel, but they charged more than the coupon in fees! Ended up paying $185
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yep, checked em all. Found a coupon for onetravel, but they charged more than the coupon in fees! Ended up paying $185
A return fare all in for $185 is not bad anyways.. You could get cheaper I guess depending on the season and the route, but the competition I think is pretty good right now and keeping flight costs somewhat in check..

I got quoted HA from KOA to LNY for $800 one way or something.. I just about fell off my seat.. but checking Island Air and Go, the flight is $130 pp one way, so expensive, but worth the convenience compared to getting off in OGG, getting a transfer, taking the ferry.. especially with two small kids..
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
HNL connection if 2 different record locators

Sorry, I know this was probably addressed somewhere else... but 41 pages to review...

I plan to buy a HA interisland ticket to HNL then will need to catch a Continental flight on a separate record locator to the mainland. Plan to travel early September.

Can someone comment on min time you would recommend
a) without luggage (ie. checked in online 24 hours in advance, just walk gate to gate (right?))
b) with luggage (ie. will need to collect luggage at HNL then recheck it for the CO flight and repass through security)

Will HA check my luggage through to the CO flight if the CO flight is on a separate record locator than their flight?

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by clintonuws
Sorry, I know this was probably addressed somewhere else... but 41 pages to review...

I plan to buy a HA interisland ticket to HNL then will need to catch a Continental flight on a separate record locator to the mainland. Plan to travel early September.

Can someone comment on min time you would recommend
a) without luggage (ie. checked in online 24 hours in advance, just walk gate to gate (right?))
b) with luggage (ie. will need to collect luggage at HNL then recheck it for the CO flight and repass through security)

Will HA check my luggage through to the CO flight if the CO flight is on a separate record locator than their flight?

Thanks.
HA will check your luggage through to the CO flight even if on a separate record locator. Just give them your info when checking in.

Will let others comment on min time as I've just started to fly CO. Don't cut it too close even though you don't have to reclaim bags because in the past HA took a while to transfer the bags. I don't have current experience.

It could be a 15-20 min walk depending on which inter island gate you arrive at. There is a wiki wiki bus between the inter island and mainland terminal but I'm not sure how often it goes around. You will need to have your carry-on screened at the agricultural check point (inside the terminal).
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
This thread has been very useful, thanks for sharing all the information. We're arriving on AA DFW-HNL at 2:25 p.m., and traveling on to LIH the same afternoon.

I'm currently planning to book the HA HNL-LIH flight at 4:35 p.m., which should provide plenty of time - with kids, checked bags (which we will ask AA to check through to LIH), want to keep a relaxed pace.

What happens if the incoming AA flight is delayed though, and we don't make the 4:35 p.m. HA flight? I did see mention of a $50 fee to take a later flight - will it matter if our HA tickets are award versus paid? Is there any information I can provide at the time of booking the HA tickets that would help our case in the event of a delay?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by CatJo
This thread has been very useful, thanks for sharing all the information. We're arriving on AA DFW-HNL at 2:25 p.m., and traveling on to LIH the same afternoon.

I'm currently planning to book the HA HNL-LIH flight at 4:35 p.m., which should provide plenty of time - with kids, checked bags (which we will ask AA to check through to LIH), want to keep a relaxed pace.

What happens if the incoming AA flight is delayed though, and we don't make the 4:35 p.m. HA flight? I did see mention of a $50 fee to take a later flight - will it matter if our HA tickets are award versus paid? Is there any information I can provide at the time of booking the HA tickets that would help our case in the event of a delay?
Nothing that will help you on the HA side. Since you're flying two separate tickets, there's no obligation on with carrier to reaccomodate you if your AA flight is delayed. However, I've seen and heard multiple instances where either the delayed carrier or HA have been accommodating. Just be ready to pay the change fee in the event you get an agent unwilling to assist gratis.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by stravels
You will need to have your carry-on screened at the agricultural check point (inside the terminal).
I think you mean the check-in screened? You never screen the carry-on. In fact, there are signs that say agricultural screening is for check-in baggage only.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
AG screen

Originally Posted by infamousdx
I think you mean the check-in screened? You never screen the carry-on. In fact, there are signs that say agricultural screening is for check-in baggage only.
The carry-on luggage does indeed go through an AG screen upon transfer in HNL to your Mainland flight. It is brief and uneventful for the most part. US-US departures....Yes. US-Canada...No Ag screen for carry-ons. Have done this oodles of times....
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Executrip
The carry-on luggage does indeed go through an AG screen upon transfer in HNL to your Mainland flight. It is brief and uneventful for the most part.
Unless it's the cute little screening dogs.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Unless it's the cute little screening dogs.
Who really only want food (as demonstrated by the dog sitting next to my fiance's bag and alerting her master when only a chocolate chip muffin--no fruits--was inside).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.