Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 14, 18, 6:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: slippahs
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 05, 8:42 pm

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alanwar
An hour should be ok for the connection.

Personally I think that HA and AQ try to force a long connection for your transfer from HNL to the outer island so they can hit you with a fee to standby on an earlier flight. I hate the attitude that visitors are walking ATMs.
Believe me when I tell you residents have it no better, we're just ATM machines too!

Now back on topic.

Vast majority of the time you'll be okay with 62 minutes. If my choices were 3 hours or 62 minutes I'd take the later and hope for the best.

Aloha

Lihu'e 1k
Old May 7, 05, 1:07 am

Wink

Originally Posted by lihue1k
Believe me when I tell you residents have it no better, we're just ATM machines too!

Now back on topic.

Vast majority of the time you'll be okay with 62 minutes. If my choices were 3 hours or 62 minutes I'd take the later and hope for the best.

Aloha

Lihu'e 1k
did a 60 min. connection yesterday with time to spend in the not yet remodeled lounge. disagree slightly lihue, in that being platinum, i can change to any flight with same class of service at no charge. a visitor could not, and would need to plead, beg and then pay....
Old Sep 20, 05, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Walking Between HNL CO Arrival Gates and the Inter-Island Terminal

I know the sticky thread has information on inter-terminal transfers at HNL, but I was hoping to get more specific directions. Due to the hurricane threatening IAH, my trip was re-routed via EWR, which leaves me about an hour and 20 minutes of scheduled connection time - although with recent winds, there is always the risk we will land late.

Given the Wiki-Wiki shuttle that runs inside security is not always 'quickie-quickie', and the sticky thread mentioned something about walking between the terminals - can anyone offer specific directions on how to walk from the CO arrival gates (area 7, gates 13/14) to the Aloha inter-island departure gates? Obviously, we want to stay inside the secure area and not reclear.

The official airport map shows a diagonal walkway opposite gates 25/26 that leads directly to the Aloha gates in the inter-island terminal...is this a correct representation, and about how long would the total walk take?
Old Sep 20, 05, 9:56 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I know the sticky thread has information on inter-terminal transfers at HNL, but I was hoping to get more specific directions. Due to the hurricane threatening IAH, my trip was re-routed via EWR, which leaves me about an hour and 20 minutes of scheduled connection time - although with recent winds, there is always the risk we will land late.

Given the Wiki-Wiki shuttle that runs inside security is not always 'quickie-quickie', and the sticky thread mentioned something about walking between the terminals - can anyone offer specific directions on how to walk from the CO arrival gates (area 7, gates 13/14) to the Aloha inter-island departure gates? Obviously, we want to stay inside the secure area and not reclear.

The official airport map shows a diagonal walkway opposite gates 25/26 that leads directly to the Aloha gates in the inter-island terminal...is this a correct representation, and about how long would the total walk take?
My experience has been that the Wiki would be faster than walking + going back through security. Remember, the Wiki keeps you in the secure area.
Old Sep 20, 05, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
It's possible to walk from the main terminal gates to the inter-island ones while remaining behind security. It would be about a 10 minute walk from the CO gates.

slippahs' thread in the sticky gives pretty detailed instructions on how to do this.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
It's possible to walk from the main terminal gates to the inter-island ones while remaining behind security. It would be about a 10 minute walk from the CO gates.

slippahs' thread in the sticky gives pretty detailed instructions on how to do this.
I was looking for the details in Slippah's thread, but I couldn't find the specifics on walking (where to go, specific directions, etc.)...I will have another look in case I missed it.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:21 am

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Here's the pertinent information - I know there's a lot to read through...

Once you arrive in HNL. Check the video display monitors for your interisland gate assignment and do NOT leave the secured area. Follow the signs that will guide you to the interisland gates (which will read "interisland gates" or "Aloha and Hawaiian Airlines"). Click Here for HNL's Terminal Map. Aloha Airline's gates are 49-54, Hawaiian Airline's gates are 55-66.

Click for pictures: If you're arriving off of a Delta or American flight, the first thing you'll see is the Central Concourse. The concourse will end in a fork as you head towards the baggage claim sign. Follow the left path. You will then see signs directing you to the interisland gates. Continue following these signs until you hit the engine and the last fork. This is where the agricultural station is, which you will have to go through on your return.

You can also take the WikiWiki shuttle. Follow an escalator to get up to the WikiWiki shuttle boarding area. (Note: WikiWiki shuttles have a tendency to make their loops very slowly. Only take if you have the time).
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's the pertinent information - I know there's a lot to read through...
Egads! I found it and the photos too...sorry, I had a senior moment, but thank you for posting the info. Looks like it's doable even with 20 minutes left after deplaning, so the extra hour is a nice cushion. I think I made the right decision changing the flights via EWR, and now I won't worry about a missed connection in HNL.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We took the shuttle a few weeks ago to the United gates, the very last ones, and it took no more than 15 minutes. One shuttle pulled out and another pulled up that we boarded. We were off in about 5 minutes and less than 10 to our last stop.

I'm sure walking would have been much, much longer.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
We took the shuttle a few weeks ago to the United gates, the very last ones, and it took no more than 15 minutes. One shuttle pulled out and another pulled up that we boarded. We were off in about 5 minutes and less than 10 to our last stop.

I'm sure walking would have been much, much longer.
From the Diamond Head Concourse where the UA gates are, most certainly. It's from one end of the airport terminal to the other. The CO gates are closer to the middle.
Old Sep 21, 05, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I find the walk quite pleasant even from the United gates but it is long, 15 to 20 minutes or so from there. 10 minutes from CO sounds about right. Great thing to do after sitting on a plane for 8 hours.

David
Old Mar 14, 06, 10:15 am

Connection from Island Air to main terminal

It's not clear from the comments about Island Air whether it's possible to connect from the Island Air gates to the main terminal airside, or whether it's necessary to reclear security. That may be helpful to know.

Any suggestions for how much time to allow for a connection FROM Island Air to a flight to the mainland?
Old Mar 18, 06, 12:40 am

Programs: DL, NW, UA, YX
Question

How about going the other way? I've booked my whole family of 4 on 3 different airlines, but all for free on May 28. The first 2 will bring the bags and get in 2+hours early (AA and UA from ORD), but the last 2 will be coming first class on NW from MSP and getting in at 310. We are connecting to Island Air to Kappalua at 435. Will it be close - how long to connect in this direction? Would they hold the flight in case of delays since it is the last of the day to JHM?

I just looked and saw that they do now have web check in...would that make things a little easier, or not really with checking bags anyway?

Also, does UA or AA interline with them? When I called to check, the agents weren't sure at all...they were very confused about any island air, and one was confused about interlining...

How full are the HNL-JHM flights likely to be?

I'm not too concerned, but my family is - good news is we're all young and in shape...so we can hike it if needed!

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 06, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by BJMKE
Also, does UA or AA interline with them? When I called to check, the agents weren't sure at all...they were very confused about any island air, and one was confused about interlining...
There's not a lot of details, but according to this:

http://www.islandair.com/flightinfo-baggage.asp

it should be possible to interline your bags to/from Island Air.
Old Apr 9, 06, 1:51 pm

Transit time Honolulu Airport

My daughter will be arriving 0130 at HNL and flying out 1130. I am not keen on sending her to the Shower Tree at that time of the night. I am wondering if there are any transit lounges or places at the airport where she can stay for a few hours--safely. Any thoughts much appreciated. She doesn't have status on any FF program.

Search this Thread