Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Hope you booked it.

Well good to hear that the Hawaiian flight opened up for you and at an even lower price point.
Aside from the mileage accumulation and baggage Inter-line agreement...the Main reason we select Hawaiian Airlines over the competitors is Safety, Comfort and on-time performance.
This itinerary will allow for a 150 min connection at HNL, which should encourage a smooth transition.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by Gparry
Thanks you for the advice. When I posted the question, the HA 304 was sold out but now today its available again :-) and even a little cheaper than the earlier flight. I agree I would prefer to fly HI b.c. of the Delta sky miles program and the greater likelihood that they would take my luggage all the way through to the final destaination.
You should not have a problem having the luggage checked through to the final destination as long as you inform the Hawaiian agent at check in where that destination is. go! Mokulele has delay and cancellation issues. Hope you booked the flight. Enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:09 am

Hi guys, just a quick question.

Going to be booking SEA-HNL with Alaska Air, and then HNL-LNY with Island Air.

I'm pretty sure from reading this thread that I'll be able to check my bags right through to save having to collect them, but will I still have to check-in for my Island Air flight at the desk?

It looks as though from the first thread post that I can just go to the Commuter Terminal and check in at the departure gate, rather than having to go back out to the main check-in desk, which would mean having to go through security again. Is that right?

I will try to book online, but we are coming from the UK and Seattle is the first two nights of our honeymoon so it might not be possible.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by paulmasterton

I'm pretty sure from reading this thread that I'll be able to check my bags right through to save having to collect them, but will I still have to check-in for my Island Air flight at the desk?

It looks as though from the first thread post that I can just go to the Commuter Terminal and check in at the departure gate, rather than having to go back out to the main check-in desk, which would mean having to go through security again. Is that right?

I will try to book online, but we are coming from the UK and Seattle is the first two nights of our honeymoon so it might not be possible.
Yes you do not need to exit security. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. There is a WP service counter in the gate holding area.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by paulmasterton

Yes you do not need to exit security. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. There is a WP service counter in the gate holding area.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Red face Question about nudo-scopes in HNL

When I boarded my JAL flight out of HNL in December it was early in the morning and all scanners were roped off, but recently i heard it wasn't the case. A friend of mine got radiated upon before barding China Airlines flight to Tokyo. I might be using the same flight in November [removed inappropriate characterization per the TOS]

So question 1: Which check points would be most likely to have [redacted per the TOS] scanners roped off around 7-8AM?

Question 2: I heard about a little cheat called "inter-island terminal", but how does that work? Can I walk from that terminal to my international secure area?

And more importantly, are [the TSA] in inter-island terminal going to let me through with a boarding pass to international flight departing out of completely different terminal?

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm Reason: There is no place, per the TOS, for such inappropriate characterizations. Please don't do so again.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
[Removed quote of original TOS-violating post]

An option is to 'Opt out' of the scan and have a full body patdown. That's what I did in June when leaving HNL.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
An option is to 'Opt out' of the scan and have a full body patdown. That's what I did in June when leaving HNL.
Everyone knows about this, but if there is a chance to avoid dealing with [the TSA], I would gladly take it, even if it would involve a 20 minute hike to another terminal.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 9, 2011 at 10:15 pm Reason: TOS: "Attacks against groups or classes of job holders...will not be tolerated"
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta
No comparison between Japan and the US about the way you're treated is there. I feel like I'm entering a war zone when I do that TSA thing in the States.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Executrip
Choose the Hawaiian Airlines' flight regardless of time.
On your return to the Mainland...120 min connection time is ideal...90 mins minimum.
It is different on the inbound from the Mainland...as if there is a delay from the Mainland( often happens)...there are usually many Inter-island flight options.....Not the case when returning to the Mainland.
So, are the other HA flights soldout?? HA 304 arriving HNL 1030...or HA 514 arriving 1124?
The direct walk from the Inter-island terminal takes roughly 20 mins. The Delta gates are a little closer than say...United...so you have a slight advantage there.
Keep in mind that Delta flight will start boarding 30 -40 mins prior to departure...and if folks aren't checked in and present...the standbys are clicking their heels. So don't leave it too tight.
Is this 90 minute minimum the absolute minimum? I've got an 8:10 am AA flight from HNL to LAX already booked. I'm trying to decide between the following flights from OGG to HNL:

HA 105: 6:54 am arrival (76 minute layover)

or

Flying OGG to HNL the night before to not risk missing my HNL-LAX flight due to delays.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
You should be OK with a 76 min connection in HNL on your return to the Mainland. The fact that it is in the early a.m is on your side as well....less chance of delay.
Have your bags interlined in OGG Present both itineraries (If separate) to ticket agent for baggage tag all the way through to your final destination. You will be able to stay inside Security...and just have a brief Ag inspection of your hand luggage as you transfer through to the Main terminal. I would walk it.....(No Wiki Wiki shuttle ..they tend to be pokey)
Proceed directly to the AA gate.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by umafuaba
Is this 90 minute minimum the absolute minimum? I've got an 8:10 am AA flight from HNL to LAX already booked. I'm trying to decide between the following flights from OGG to HNL:

or

Flying OGG to HNL the night before to not risk missing my HNL-LAX flight due to delays.
Depends on your risk tolerance. I would personally take the risk. HA is rarely late. And a brisk walk to the AA gates will get you there just before they begin boarding. Be sure to interline checked baggage at OGG, HA is very experienced at this. Yo will have to pay interisland checked bag fees unless you have HA status. And I would check in online for your AA flight so you can show BP to HA agents in OGG for connection.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by umafuaba
Originally Posted by Executrip
Choose the Hawaiian Airlines' flight regardless of time.
On your return to the Mainland...120 min connection time is ideal...90 mins minimum.
It is different on the inbound from the Mainland...as if there is a delay from the Mainland( often happens)...there are usually many Inter-island flight options.....Not the case when returning to the Mainland.
So, are the other HA flights soldout?? HA 304 arriving HNL 1030...or HA 514 arriving 1124?
The direct walk from the Inter-island terminal takes roughly 20 mins. The Delta gates are a little closer than say...United...so you have a slight advantage there.
Keep in mind that Delta flight will start boarding 30 -40 mins prior to departure...and if folks aren't checked in and present...the standbys are clicking their heels. So don't leave it too tight.

or

If you are interlining bags, reports here have web that 90 minutes is the minimum connection AA will allow for such a connection. Not sure whether this is still true. But if you don't have bags you don't need 90 minutes, assuming your flight arrives on time.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by slippahs

If you are interlining bags, reports here have web that 90 minutes is the minimum connection AA will allow for such a connection. Not sure whether this is still true. But if you don't have bags you don't need 90 minutes, assuming your flight arrives on time.
HA will interline checked bags with a 75 min CNX. I have done it many times. If they were coming TO HNL on AA they could have trouble getting AA to interline with a CNX less than 90 mins.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by donnyb
Originally Posted by slippahs

HA will interline checked bags with a 75 min CNX. I have done it many times. If they were coming TO HNL on AA they could have trouble getting AA to interline with a CNX less than 90 mins.
Yup you're right I misread the post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.