FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Getting around on Maui (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/758894-getting-around-maui.html)

Andriyko Nov 19, 2007 1:03 pm

Getting around on Maui

Hi to everyone.
We will be staying on Maui for a week (Grand Wailea Resort), and since we want to see quite a lot I would like to know how hard is it to get a cab (if such exist) or any other means of transportation to go places. For example, the majority of cruises depart from Lahaina and I wondering whether we need to arrange for transportation from the hotel in advance, or are cabs easily available on the spot.
Thanks.
Andriy

kaukau Nov 19, 2007 1:11 pm

Cabs are easy to get, but expensive. You just need to call for one. Grand Wailea to Lahaina by cab: ~$100. Your concierge will be happy to arrange a cab for you, with a little advance notice necessary. Or call Islandwide Taxi: 874-8294 or Sunshine Cabs: 879-2220, from Wailea.

Andriyko Nov 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks! That is expensive. Maybe you can recommend cruises departing closer to Wailea? That would be so much appreciated.

jenn_1K Nov 19, 2007 1:44 pm

If it was me, I would get a car if I was staying in Wailea. There aren't as many walkable food choices as there are for resorts in Kaanapali (for example). It also depends on whether you plan to stay at the resort most of the time and just venture out every once in a while.

kaukau Nov 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 8756665)
Thanks! That is expensive. Maybe you can recommend cruises departing closer to Wailea? That would be so much appreciated.

Echoing the above poster, a rental car is highly recommended on Maui. Just pick a company that lets you rent in Kahului (OGG), and return it in Lahaina, to make your cruise connection cheap and easy. Budget Rent-A-Car comes to mind for that purpose.

Norwegian Cruise Lines ties up and departs from the dock at Kahului harbor, a little closer to Wailea than Lahaina; while Princess and Celebrity cruise ships anchor in the Lahaina roadstead, and use tenders to shuttle pax back and forth from Lahaina harbor.

CPRich Nov 19, 2007 3:09 pm

I've spent a week there twice in the last 3 years and can't imagine not renting a car. Same with the other islands. We do tend to travel to see lots of things, and not be dependent on pre-arranged tours, but it would still be difficult unless you just wanted to hang at the hotel beach most of the time.

Andriyko Nov 20, 2007 12:58 am

Again - thanks for the advice. We were going to hang out by the pool most of the time and get a guided tour of the island, so we pretty much need a car to get to Lahaina once or twice. Will it be possible to rent a car somewhere at Wailea for ba specific trip rather than renting it for teh whole week? Also, how difficult/dangerous is it to drive to Hana by ourselves?

Kibison Nov 20, 2007 1:13 am

Car rentals are one of the few cheap things on Maui. I used Avis with FT discount codes last July and had a nice four door car for four days for under $100.

Do not drive at night.

kaukau Nov 20, 2007 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Kibison (Post 8759717)
Do not drive at night.

:confused: Huh? That's Mexico! Not Maui! I've never heard such bizarre advice about Maui before! :confused: :rolleyes:

Kibison Nov 20, 2007 3:33 am

Originally Posted by kaukau (Post 8759862)
:confused: Huh? That's Mexico! Not Maui! I've never heard such bizarre advice about Maui before! :confused: :rolleyes:

The road between Wailea and OGG is notorious for horrible traffic accidents at night involving drunk driving. I am surprised you do not know this. I have been warned not to travel it at night by friends on the Big Island, the Avis rental desk at OGG, and the Gran Wailea reception area.

It might be better if the road construction is ever completed but who knows when that will ever happen.

MsEverywhere Nov 20, 2007 3:52 am

If you drive to Hana, make sure you do it in the daytime, and the driver needs to drive cautiously and bring their nerves of steel. There are many, many blind curves in the road, lots of tourists driving and watching the scenery, and some medium-sized busses.

I usually have nerves of steel when driving, but I was glad to surrender driving to my friend.

belairpatrol Nov 20, 2007 4:44 am

Grand Wailea Resort

Rent a Car, REPEAT, Rent a Car at the airport. It's a ez 14 mile drive from OGG to Grand Wailea. They now offer Free Parking if you don't do Valet. There are a number of outstanding resturants with spectacular views that are worth leaving the hotel. Capische is unforgettable. Sansei in Kiehe is our favorite Sushi. The drive along the ocean towards Makena early in the morning is a true Hawaii experience.

The drive to Hana is on the top 10 most overated experiences in maui. The drive to Lahania has nice scenery, and is OK outside of rush hour.

Will be at the grand Jan 1 to Jan 10. The Spa is one of the best in the whole world

Andriyko Nov 20, 2007 5:28 am

Originally Posted by belairpatrol (Post 8760190)
Rent a Car, REPEAT, Rent a Car at the airport. It's a ez 14 mile drive from OGG to Grand Wailea. They now offer Free Parking if you don't do Valet. There are a number of outstanding resturants with spectacular views that are worth leaving the hotel. Capische is unforgettable. Sansei in Kiehe is our favorite Sushi. The drive along the ocean towards Makena early in the morning is a true Hawaii experience.

The drive to Hana is on the top 10 most overated experiences in maui. The drive to Lahania has nice scenery, and is OK outside of rush hour.

Will be at the grand Jan 1 to Jan 10. The Spa is one of the best in the whole world

Thanks. Very informative. How long does it take to drive to Lahania?
We'll be there DEC29 - JAN06. So, we could meet for a drink if you find it interesting.

Andriyko Nov 20, 2007 5:31 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere (Post 8760060)
If you drive to Hana, make sure you do it in the daytime, and the driver needs to drive cautiously and bring their nerves of steel. There are many, many blind curves in the road, lots of tourists driving and watching the scenery, and some medium-sized busses.

I usually have nerves of steel when driving, but I was glad to surrender driving to my friend.

Thanks for the advice. I don't drive so my bf will ahve to do all the driving. I think we'd be better off with a guided tour.

Is the drive to the Tedeschi Vineyards an easy one?

kaukau Nov 20, 2007 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Kibison (Post 8760005)
The road between Wailea and OGG is notorious for horrible traffic accidents at night involving drunk driving. I am surprised you do not know this. I have been warned not to travel it at night by friends on the Big Island, the Avis rental desk at OGG, and the Gran Wailea reception area.

It might be better if the road construction is ever completed but who knows when that will ever happen.

Stop spreading such nonsense. The rental company tells you not to drive the back roads, also. And the front desk at the GW is full of crap....they want you to stay on property and spend money. I never would have thought to have heard such a thing...."notorious for horrible accidents at night involving drunk driving"....and Maui in the same sentence. Not to my knowledge. "Don't drive at night"? What do you think we do here? Stay home or drive drunk? Oh well. What the heck. Too weird.