Kaanapali Beach Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kaanapali Beach Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, US, HHonors, PriorityClub, etc.
Kaanapali Beach Hotel

Just looking for recommendations good and bad for this hotel. I booked the room,meals & wheels deal for Jan 08 for $240/night partial oceanview, Dollar rental car and breakfast at Aloha Mixed Plate. From other prices I've seen this seems like a very good deal to me. Previously stayed at Royal Lahaina (1995) and Sheraton (2005). Recent reviews of Royal Lahaina are not great and Sheraton has priced me out of their hotel ($445/night). Any reviews, encouragement, discouragement etc. would be appreciated. Mahalo in advance!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Never spent a night there, but go there alot. ASAMOF, it's our "new" (3 years in a row) favorite Easter Sunday Brunch venue, and we've been to every one on West Maui! For whatever that's worth, KBH is the only locally owned and operated hotel on Ka'anapali Beach, and probably on West Maui. (But not the entire island). For what that's worth, I think you're gonna get more of a Hawai'ian experience by staying there than at other hotels for sure. The location is great, price and value great, the package you got sounds great, so have a great time. P.S. They're famous here for their great local kine daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets!

Give a shout when you get here if you want to get together for cocktails at their Tiki Bar!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaukau
Never spent a night there, but go there alot. ASAMOF, it's our "new" (3 years in a row) favorite Easter Sunday Brunch venue, and we've been to every one on West Maui! For whatever that's worth, KBH is the only locally owned and operated hotel on Ka'anapali Beach, and probably on West Maui. (But not the entire island). For what that's worth, I think you're gonna get more of a Hawai'ian experience by staying there than at other hotels for sure. The location is great, price and value great, the package you got sounds great, so have a great time. P.S. They're famous here for their great local kine daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets!

Give a shout when you get here if you want to get together for cocktails at their Tiki Bar!
Thanks for the reply and the invite. Sounds like fun! SIL and I are on a cruise from 1/2 until 1/12 and flying to Maui the 12th. If I'm online - that's if one of us remembers the laptop < - we'll give you a holler. Thanks for setting my mind at ease re KBH. I remember walking past there when i stayed at the Sheraton in 2005 and putting it on my mental list (such as it is) as an OK place to stay sometime.

Any other hints or suggestions for our Maui time will be appreciated. I think I'll take SIL to Haleakala (not sure whether she's material for getting up before dawn for the sunrise, but definitely want her to see the other-worldness of it even in daylight), snorkeling @ Black Rock and to Old Lahaina Luau (I've enjoyed it twice before but is that too cheesy?). Hana highway was fun for me (I'm pretty laid back) - not sure whether that's a good time for most people or not?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:44 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
My fav beach is Makena Beach (aka Big Beach). And if you are more adventurous there is Little Beach on the other side of the rocks!

The volcano for sunrise is a MUST.

I looked at some hotels in the same area for an end-of-October break and a lot of hotels were doing construction on their facilities (pools and such) so definately check out the place you are booked. I was looking probably Sheraton and Marriott but am staying at the Fairmont in Wailea.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
My fav beach is Makena Beach (aka Big Beach). And if you are more adventurous there is Little Beach on the other side of the rocks!

The volcano for sunrise is a MUST.

I looked at some hotels in the same area for an end-of-October break and a lot of hotels were doing construction on their facilities (pools and such) so definately check out the place you are booked. I was looking probably Sheraton and Marriott but am staying at the Fairmont in Wailea.
I've read that KBH is being redone but hope they should be done by Jan...don't know for sure, so thanks for the heads up...OK, I'll see if I can rouse SIL @ 3 a.m. to get up Haleakala - have only done a daytime trip before but can imagine the sunrise over that surrealistic scenery is spectacular. Still review the (daytime) photos from 1995 in awe! BTW, which Maui beaches are calmest in January? I am only a weak swimmer, will use a flotation device, but really don't want to get into a must be rescued situation! I know the time of year we're going isn't the greatest for snorkeling (or weak swimmers) but will be celebrating my b-day during the cruise part of the trip - Kauai day - want to do the helicopter for my special day. Just happens my b-day gift to myself is this trip, leaving DH and DB (SIL's husband) at home. DB is afraid to fly ? and DH doesn't travel well...
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:23 pm

The "tiki bar" at the KBH is one of our "must do" things every time we're in Maui. Rudy Aquino and his group play nightly there (a nice blend of hapa haole, contemporary Hawaiian and traditional Hawaiian) and it just feels like a lot of aloha (the stars overhead and the setting contribute, too!). BTW, Rudy used to play with Don Ho's original group back in the 60's--he's a real legend, and a genuinely nice guy. We'll be in Maui in 1.5 weeks and I'm looking forward to at least one evening at the KBH's lovely little bar very soon!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Have a great time Ukalady! Sounds like Tiki Bar will be a great last stop for us in the evenings while we're there.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:52 am

Looking for a (relative to Hyatt and Westin) less expensive hotel in Ka’anapali Beach area to book a room with ocean views for last 3 nights of our trip to Lahaina/Ka’anapali area in February. I am especially Interested in comments on rooms at ka'anapali beach hotel that have full or partial ocean view. We are staying 5 nights on points at Westin in rooms without a view. Note I have stayed at Royal Lahaina and liked their partial and loved their full ocean views from the rooms and have been comparing rates and rooms there to KBH. I like what I have read about the KBH and is atmosphere, but I thought I read somewhere that the ocean views are obstructed.

thank you!

Last edited by travelpye; Jul 5, 2018 at 4:54 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:55 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Tha Kaanapali Beach Hotel is to undergo a major renovation:

https://mauinow.com/2020/01/23/ka%ca...-irE4mK1K5SJTc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.