Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lqdnitin:
Huh ??</font>
Well try any sushi restaurant anywhere... especially in HI, and you get ridiculous prices for extremely small portions.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinHawaiian:
AndrewC, good call on the Haili'imaile General Store. It has long been my favorite place on Maui and I will always make a point to go when I can. Yes, it's off the beaten path, but soooo worth it!</font>
Well, with two glowing reports on this location, it's on my list for a meal next week. Thanks for the heads up.....
Old Jun 21, 2003, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AndrewC:
Hailemaile General store near Makawao is the most wonderful restaurant. It's only problem is that it's quite far from most of the resorts.</font>
That's a great restaurant. I consider its location away from the resorts to be one of its upsides, not a problem. Upcountry Maui is incredibly beautiful.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:14 am
Jim&Martha

Try Joes Bar and Grill in Wailea at the tenis club. Best food on the island and a great view and experience. They also own The Halimaile General Store.

Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim&Martha:
Try Joes Bar and Grill in Wailea at the tenis club. Best food on the island and a great view and experience. They also own The Halimaile General Store.</font>
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be in Wailea tonight....

Old Jun 29, 2003, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
For a very tasty, informal meal, try Maui Tacos in Kihei or Lahina.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Last night my S.O. attending the Hawai`i Nature Center's Night With Nature event at Washington Place. The event was catered by the head chef from the Haili`imaile General Store.

We had chicken with wild rice, beef tenderloin, seared ahi, just to name a few. Personally, I only found the beef to be good -- very tender and ono; however, everything had an interesting taste to it. Perhaps it's more for the older crowd's taste. I spoke to a lot of others last night also and got mixed reactions. Oh well... I guess maybe the chef was trying to be creative. I've never actually visited the actual restaurant on Maui.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by After Burner:
Upscale: try Spagos at the Four Seasons in Wailea

A great local joint: Saigon Cafe in Wailuku

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I think Cheeseburger in Paradise in Wailea serves a great cheeseburger.

</font>
I second the call for Cheeseburgers in Paradise...can't beat the view at sunset either.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:34 pm

Do nicer Maui restaurants have dress code?

Just wondering if the nicer Maui restaurants have a dress code (greater than a collared shirt and khakis). I think the nicest restaurant I will be going to will be David Paul's Lahaina Grill. I don't plan on bringing dress clothes, so just wondering what kind of dress code there is for some of these nicer restaurants.
Old May 16, 2006, 9:55 am

Dressing up and down

I've been to lots of upscale restaurants on the big four islands and have always found that shirts with collars and long pants allways seem to be appropriate. I've never felt either over or under dressed and because of the nature of an island resort, the restaurants seem to feel the same way. I don't even wear regualr shoes, relying on nicer sandals for my footwear.

Bon appitite.
Old May 16, 2006, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
you won't need dress clothes, what you're bringing will work perfectly! to look more local, wear your collared shirt outside your pants (no belt, or the belt under your shirt) ^
Old May 16, 2006, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A nice Aloha shirt and long pants is about as formal as anyone gets in Hawai'i. Going in a jacket and tie or formal dress would seem very out of place unless you were going to an organized event that specified a certain dress code.

Also, many of the nicer restaurants on the Islands are outside, such as Pahu'ia and Pacific'O - so being dressed too 'warm' would make you very uncomfortable.
Old May 16, 2006, 3:24 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well I have never seen a dress code anywhere. I find that Khakis and a shirt are fine and you can even get away with sandles or flipflops if you want to fit in like a local.
Old May 16, 2006, 8:41 pm

A great deal of Maui's attraction for me is the number of upscale restaurants. We eat at a different one every night on our two-three trips per year.
I don't bring shoes, socks or long pants to Maui and I've never felt out of place in the most upscale restaurants from David Paul's Lahaina Grill to Chez Paul to Gerard's.
A nice pair of shorts, an island shirt and a pair of dress sandals is very acceptable wherever you go.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A shirt with a collar, short, medium or long pants and something on your feet (sorta new flip-flops are fine) will be ok at any place. Some $$$$ places flag males with t-shirts but not females.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.