Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
We are flying back home after a great 5 days in Wailea. Wanted to share with this group a couple of places we really liked:

- Outrigger Pizza company: good woodfire pies enjoyed by all.

- Miso Phat sushi: legit high quality sushi. The butterfish was to die for. The hand rolls were all really good.
matthewcr likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 7, 2021 at 3:55 am Reason: Moved from Honolulu thread because Wailea is on a different island than Oahu
Old May 7, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I am beyond gutted that The Mill at the plantation is closed. I loved The Mill. So yummy. Their burger was ace. There’s a new replacement cafe that serves until 8p and they lack a burger plus their shorter menu lacks many vegetable-centric dishes. Sigh. I really loved The Mill. I’ll assume that the cafe still has the gorgeous outdoor dining. Such a beautiful in crowded part of maui.
Old May 9, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by philemer
Can't remember ever eating pizza in Hawaii.
Flatbread in Paia. Delicious stuff.
LIH Prem and seaduck79 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Flatbread in Paia. Delicious stuff.
Or Charlie’s in Paia.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:29 pm

Here's an anti-recommendation I noticed while browsing for testing info:

https://health.hawaii.gov/news/newsr...health-hazard/

Hawai‘i Department of Health shuts down Pizza in Paradise in Kahului, Maui for being an “imminent health hazard”

During a routine inspection last week, the health department noted the severity of the violations and immediately issued a red placard to the restaurant. The inspection report pointed out the facility has a long history of clutter and other violations. In the most recent routine inspection, multiple foodborne illness risk factors were observed:
  • A large pot containing old food on the kitchen floor contained live, moving maggots;
  • Roaches were observed in several areas of the kitchen, indicating a healthy breeding population;
  • Plates of food left in the former dining area have not been discarded and these are covered with small flies of unknown type, possibly fruit flies;
  • The facility is completely filled with items such as boxes and old equipment;
  • Hand sink, counter tops and food prep areas used to store food items did not appear to not have been cleaned in a long time;
  • Vegetables that appear to be rotten on outer surfaces were stored with other vegetables and it unclear whether they were discarded or used in food preparation;
  • Raw beef, pork and poultry are completely packed in the two-door chill and are not arranged to prevent cross-contamination;
  • Foods are not refrigerated and stored at proper temperatures; and
  • Many items such as opened canned goods and bottled goods are on counters with mold growth.
Yuck!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
Headed to Maui (Lahaina/Wailea) in a few days (well, couple weeks before we get there)... Any current recommendations for places to eat? Anything from casual to nice, but we'll likely not eat anywhere > ~$75/pp.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by johnndor
Headed to Maui (Lahaina/Wailea) in a few days (well, couple weeks before we get there)... Any current recommendations for places to eat? Anything from casual to nice, but we'll likely not eat anywhere > ~$75/pp.
Kimo’s.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Kihei Cafe is great food at a good price - it's an order at the counter type place
Three's Bar/Grill in Kihei has great happy hour but there's usually a long wait. It's in the middle of a shopping center type place so it works well to get on the list and then wander around and shop for the +/- 45 minutes.
Gannon's (attached to one of the Wailea golf courses) is a nice somewhat upscale happy hour place
Roy's is another golf course restaurant but up in Lahaina with great happy hour
Amigos (Lahaina or Kihei) is good/standard Mexican
Cocoanuts in Kihei has really good fish tacos
Cafe Ole' in Kihei has nice views and good food
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
+1 for Cafe O'Lei in Kihei.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nucharee Thai in Kihei is also pretty good. They have an ahi larb, great spin on a Thai classic, which I really enjoyed.
jkjetsetters likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paia fish market in Kihei and Lahaina. And Paia.
the market in wailea

my friends liked pita paradise in Wailea.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by gaobest
my friends liked pita paradise in Wailea.
Pita Paradise has reasonably priced and unexpectedly good Mediterranean food (just across the parking lot from Monkeypod).
dhuey likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
Pita Paradise has reasonably priced and unexpectedly good Mediterranean food (just across the parking lot from Monkeypod).
well monkeypod is upstairs and PP is “downstairs” in the lot.
I love The Market which is directly below monkeypod.

all that said, when I’m on maui, I don’t want to eat pizza Chinese thai Italian that I can get at home. I hate it when we go to Maui tacos because… I live in San Francisco. Where I live, I really can’t get great amazing Hawaiian-style food. So on mAui, I prefer to eat Hawaiian style food.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
well monkeypod is upstairs and PP is “downstairs” in the lot.
I love The Market which is directly below monkeypod.

all that said, when I’m on maui, I don’t want to eat pizza Chinese thai Italian that I can get at home. I hate it when we go to Maui tacos because… I live in San Francisco. Where I live, I really can’t get great amazing Hawaiian-style food. So on mAui, I prefer to eat Hawaiian style food.
Problem with this is the American tourists often only like/buy sugary crap so the authentic restaurants tweak their offerings. My wife's family is from Vietnam and ran restaurants on the mainland for years and altering their native food to fit American's taste buds is an ongoing joke.

Finding truly authentic food is tough anywhere. Many Hawaiian eateries would have you believe, "authentic" is 4oz of chicken in 12oz of syrupy sauce, a pound of rice, a pound of macaroni salad and two carrot sticks.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
all that said, when I’m on maui, I don’t want to eat pizza Chinese thai Italian that I can get at home. I hate it when we go to Maui tacos because… I live in San Francisco.
Talk about confirming the stereotype.

You can't get real Thai in SF, it's all over-sugared and under-spiced. Nor can you get ahi larb, which you can get in Kihei.

Are you going to tell us next that the sushi is better in SF so don't bother with that in Maui?
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.