Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've stayed in all three, more than once. Note that my comments are as SPG Platinum, HH Gold, and IHG Platinum.

PK and HI both now have resort fees. These are not resorts, and these are just absolute ripoff charges. Unless the rates are substantially lower than others, or I need stays for a promo, they are now off my list.

Location of all three are fine, but I prefer the PK and HI location to the HH location, by a small margin.

PK - It has seen better days. Staff is nice. Rooms are ok. Views are nice from the highest floors.

HI - Rooms are nicer than the PK. Staff is nice. I shifted my PK stays to the HI when PK started with resort fees. And then when HI started the fees ...

HH - My two stays there as a HH (I stayed years ago when it wasn't a HH property) were fine. Rooms in good condition, staff is nice. Lounge (if you have access) is so so, more for the crowd of chanchos than the lounge itself.

Also consider the "new" HGI, all in the same general area. This was an old dumpy hotel that was just remodeled. I thought it was just fine. (My "upgrade" had a parking lot view.) I'd stay there again.

Note that PK and HI are on Kalakaua Ave, and HH and HGI are on Kuhio (one block back. Re: Beach access, you're talking about a two minute walk difference.
Thanks Eastbay1K for the detailed info. What's resort fees all about ? What does it entail.? Never encountered it here out in the far east..
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:20 pm

Many hotel prices are now like airline prices. The initial quote is a come on. With the airline, it is: you want to check or carry on a bag, get a comfort plus seat, have a reserved seat, make an on line reservation? That is an extra charge. With many hotels, especially in Hawaii, they have the amenity charge. It is in addition to the advertised price and can run appx. from $10 to $40 per day. They claim it is for such things as newspaper, bottled water, pool (which is often not there), local and 800 phone (who doesn't have a cell phone?), fax, copy machine, boarding pass, gym, wi-fi, etc., etc. etc. Even hotels with almost none of these still charge as if they do. If you squawk enough, some hotels will strike the charge from your bill. When making a reservation, the final total will/should include this fee. Good luck. Enjoy Hawaii. Aloha
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Second annual Four Seasons Oahu Ko'Olina get together Nov. 28th-Dec. 1st

Hi fellow FT members,

Every year I put together a Hawaii get together for our members.

We are staying this year at the new(er) FS Oahu from Nov. 27th-Dec. 2nd.

If you'd like to take advantage of our group rate PM me and I will send you the details.

You do not need to stay at the hotel to enjoy a Dutch dinner the evening of Nov. 27th.

We stayed last year and had a really lovely and relaxing time.

Best regards,

Goodmorning2u
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Creative alternatives to Wakiki hotel parking?

I will be on Oahu for business for 3 nights in early April, require a car to get around. As a Hilton Diamond, I selected the HGI in Waikiki - parking is now a hefty $42 per night - valet only (schedule makes it impractical to stay at the Kapolei Hampton). Being self-employed, responsible for my own expenses, I am exploring alternatives.

One option was to Rideshare to/from the airport, rent a car daily in Waikiki. Unfortunately, price for 1 day rental is just over half that of 3 days - airport or Waikiki.

Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
I will be on Oahu for business for 3 nights in early April, require a car to get around. As a Hilton Diamond, I selected the HGI in Waikiki - parking is now a hefty $42 per night - valet only (schedule makes it impractical to stay at the Kapolei Hampton). Being self-employed, responsible for my own expenses, I am exploring alternatives.

One option was to Rideshare to/from the airport, rent a car daily in Waikiki. Unfortunately, price for 1 day rental is just over half that of 3 days - airport or Waikiki.

Any other suggestions?
Do you actually need to be in Waikiki?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Do you actually need to be in Waikiki?
As indicated in my post: I would like to stay in a Hilton property, concerned Kapolei (Hampton) is a bit too far away from my business activities in Honolulu, particularly during rush hour.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
As indicated in my post: I would like to stay in a Hilton property, concerned Kapolei (Hampton) is a bit too far away from my business activities in Honolulu, particularly during rush hour.
Where are your business activities located? Do you really need a car, or would Uber do? Are you working downtown? If so, have you considered the Aston at the Executive Center?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Where are your business activities located?
Without going in to too many sensitive details: I will be visiting several small, specialty tourist retail and service establishments, most are located throughout Honolulu.
Do you really need a car, or would Uber do?
Car is necessary, Uber will not suffice.
Are you working downtown? If so, have you considered the Aston at the Executive Center?
Not an option.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:33 am

Without going in to too many sensitive details: I will be visiting several small, specialty tourist retail and service establishments, most are located throughout Honolulu.

Not an option.
Recognizing your preference to stay at Hilton, minimize parking expense, and generally be in he Waikiki-Honolulu corridor. I think you can have two of these, but not all three. The best advice I can give you is consider a B&B in either the Diamond Head or Manoa area.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Not an option.
Then I'm afraid the valet parking charge is a cost of doing business. I suppose you might save a couple bucks if you can find a self-park lot or even street parking, but constantly feeding the meter or having to walk a few blocks to a self-park lot doesn't seem worth it -- especially if you're there for business and can bill this to someone.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:55 am

I've never been to Oahu but considering it as a destination for this summer. Looking for recommendation(s) that need the following criteria:

- Easy access to beach with calm, shallow water with small waves
- Has suite/family type rooms
- Has a kids club or entertainment for kids
- Not super expensive (e.g. don't want to spend $1K/night for a suite at the Disney resort even though it checks all the boxes) or somewhere I can use my points at (I have a ton of Hilton, SPG/Bonvoy and some IHG).

Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by msc75
I've never been to Oahu but considering it as a destination for this summer. Looking for recommendation(s) that need the following criteria:

- Easy access to beach with calm, shallow water with small waves
- Has suite/family type rooms
- Has a kids club or entertainment for kids
- Not super expensive (e.g. don't want to spend $1K/night for a suite at the Disney resort even though it checks all the boxes) or somewhere I can use my points at (I have a ton of Hilton, SPG/Bonvoy and some IHG).

Thank you.
Hilton Hawaiian Village or Sheraton Waikiki. Huge.

Kahala Hotel. Really low key.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hilton Hawaiian Village or Sheraton Waikiki. Huge.

Kahala Hotel. Really low key.
Thank you. How are the beaches for these hotels? I have a toddler so calm shallow water is a priority.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by msc75
Thank you. How are the beaches for these hotels? I have a toddler so calm shallow water is a priority.
Waikiki or Koolina. Waikiki has a few sheltered sections and is close to Ala Moana which is sheltered by the reef. Koolina/Aulani have man made coves that are sheltered. Depending on the surf/weather Kahala can get choppy.
msc75 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Hilton Hawaiian Village has a lagoon that's perfect for toddlers.

https://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.co...ach-and-lagoon
msc75 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.