Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki allows max 4 in a room, currently shows $199 +tax per night (HiltonHHonors sale rate, prepaid and nonrefundable). I did specify 4 adults when getting the quote.

Two double beds (not queens) so a tight fit, but not a bad location on Kuhio Avenue.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 29, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:03 pm

Waikiki Circle. Really tight room. Very clean and great staff. Fantastic location $1255.

https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?chain...3&altdest=OAHU

Sorry, I goofed. Room holds 4 but the rate is for 1 person.

Last edited by KenfromDE; Jul 29, 2016 at 1:47 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:10 pm

Cheap airport transportation

I need to get from HNL to the DoubleTree Alana at Waikiki in the cheapest way - just one person, one smallish rollaboard bag. The shuttles seem to be quite expensive; is there a cheaper option like a city bus?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by KiaOra
I need to get from HNL to the DoubleTree Alana at Waikiki in the cheapest way - just one person, one smallish rollaboard bag. The shuttles seem to be quite expensive; is there a cheaper option like a city bus?
Lesson: Almost all airport websites give extensive ground transportation options, always look there first:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/the-bus
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:42 pm

TheBus will do it. We use it all time HNL/Waikiki. Take the 19 or 20. It's $2.50 exact change/bills. No luggage allowed in isles. Just make sure the flag says Waikiki since both ways use the same bus stops. Bus stops are on arrival level out front on the island that divides the 2 lanes. (Best one is all the way to the right) In Waikiki, TheBus turns off Ala Moana onto Kalia so you have to walk up AM a little to your hotel.

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...ons/index.html

Last edited by KenfromDE; Jul 31, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:18 pm

TheBus has an excellent app. Each stop has a number somewhere on the sign. By using this number you can see the real time arrival of your next bus.

Trivia: Right after you pass the Ala Moana (shopping) Center, which has a fantastic food court, you go onto a short bridge over the Ala Moana Canal. Look at the stream toward the ocean. This is where the SS Minnow started its voyage to Gilligan's Island.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zedflyer
I had a promotion deal and it just went bust and now am desperate to find a hotel.
we are 4 adults 2 couples and I have a budget of $1300 for 5 nights from the 19th of August to the 24th. am hoping for
Landing in Oahu, Honolulu.

Please help
Modern Comforts Meet Relaxation at
Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
During your stay in beautiful Honolulu, you'll enjoy a spacious, comfortable guestroom, a wealth of convenient amenities, easy access to beautiful Waikiki Beach and close proximity to the best activities and attractions on the island. Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach aims to impress with no resort fee, complimentary Wi-Fi, and Hot Breakfast to get your day started right!

GET 15% OFF
Enter this promo code when you book online.

Promo Code: HAWAII

BOOK NOW
This offer expires on 12/31/2016 and is not combinable with any other offers. Booking window is two weeks after 8/2/2016. Travel starting September through March 2017. Restrictions may apply. Reservations made with this special offer are non-refundable.

© Hawaii.com. All rights reserved.
500 Ala Moana Boulevard Suite #7-500, Honolulu, HI 96813
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JA610
Modern Comforts Meet Relaxation at
Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
GET 15% OFF
Enter this promo code when you book online.
Promo Code: HAWAII
Unfortunately, the best rate even with the code applied is $325 plus taxes - well over the stated budget.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Waikiki Beach Hotel suggestions

Have a 2 night halt in Honolulu on my way back home in end Sep. Was looking at staying in the Waikiki beach area and have shortlisted these three hotels. None of the 3 listed below seem to be directly on the beach front, but just a short walk away.(Am open to suggestions on other hotels as well, but shortlisted these there based on my maximum budget of about 170 USD$/ night and since i have some points in the Hilton, IHG & SPG programs)

- HOLIDAY INN RESORT WAIKIKI
- SHERATON PRINCESS KAIULANI
- HILTON WAIKIKI

All three seem to be near to each other and fairly close to the beach. The Sheraton seems to offer great sea views from a room category that comes with a private balcony.

I was hoping to do a bit of swimming at the beach. Are the seas at Waikiki beach safe for a swim ?

This would be my maiden trip to Hawaii and sorry if these questions are all elementary.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions on where to stay
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Of the three hotels you are considering, the Sheraton property is closest the the Queen's Beach area, the one with the best channel for good swimming.

Swimming is safe in very Waikiki, but we have the occasional visitor drowning. It isn't the nature of the beach or water, but I suspect it is due to people with underlying medical conditions who have had their bodies physically stressed by the travel. If you are fit (and don't ignore the signs warning your not to dive off the groin into shallow water) you will be fine.

Another good place to swim is at Ala Moana Beach park. You might check out hotels in that are closer to that area, such as the Ala Moana Hotel or the Alana Doubletree.

Enjoy your first trip to Hawaii!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
Of the three hotels you are considering, the Sheraton property is closest the the Queen's Beach area, the one with the best channel for good swimming.

Swimming is safe in very Waikiki, but we have the occasional visitor drowning. It isn't the nature of the beach or water, but I suspect it is due to people with underlying medical conditions who have had their bodies physically stressed by the travel. If you are fit (and don't ignore the signs warning your not to dive off the groin into shallow water) you will be fine.

Another good place to swim is at Ala Moana Beach park. You might check out hotels in that are closer to that area, such as the Ala Moana Hotel or the Alana Doubletree.

Enjoy your first trip to Hawaii!
Many thanks for the reply. Good to read that the Waikiki beach is safe for a swim. Will look up the Ala Moana area as well. As far as commuting within the city goes, is Uber a good bit..?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by quarryking
Many thanks for the reply. Good to read that the Waikiki beach is safe for a swim. Will look up the Ala Moana area as well. As far as commuting within the city goes, is Uber a good bit..?
We have an excellent bus system, and Uber as well.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:37 am

As mentioned above, TheBus is an excellent system. You can get a system map on the web. The Sheraton is a good choice. Right in the middle of the Waikiki action. Some local info (as if you are at the Pacific Beach hotel, a couple of blocks toward Diamond head):

Help! Need advice about Kilo and the Week of August 23rd in Honolulu

Aloha, enjoy!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
my maximum budget of about 170 USD$/ night and since i have some points in the Hilton, IHG & SPG programs[/I])
Holiday Inn Express Waikiki is pretty good. Rooms are small but the breakfast is very good. Rates are OK for Waikiki.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

- HOLIDAY INN RESORT WAIKIKI
- SHERATON PRINCESS KAIULANI
- HILTON WAIKIKI
I've stayed in all three, more than once. Note that my comments are as SPG Platinum, HH Gold, and IHG Platinum.

PK and HI both now have resort fees. These are not resorts, and these are just absolute ripoff charges. Unless the rates are substantially lower than others, or I need stays for a promo, they are now off my list.

Location of all three are fine, but I prefer the PK and HI location to the HH location, by a small margin.

PK - It has seen better days. Staff is nice. Rooms are ok. Views are nice from the highest floors.

HI - Rooms are nicer than the PK. Staff is nice. I shifted my PK stays to the HI when PK started with resort fees. And then when HI started the fees ...

HH - My two stays there as a HH (I stayed years ago when it wasn't a HH property) were fine. Rooms in good condition, staff is nice. Lounge (if you have access) is so so, more for the crowd of chanchos than the lounge itself.

Also consider the "new" HGI, all in the same general area. This was an old dumpy hotel that was just remodeled. I thought it was just fine. (My "upgrade" had a parking lot view.) I'd stay there again.

Note that PK and HI are on Kalakaua Ave, and HH and HGI are on Kuhio (one block back. Re: Beach access, you're talking about a two minute walk difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.