Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:03 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I've never stayed there, but the location is great.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:10 am

Thanks!!! We did book an Oceanview room and have a note in the computer to upgrade us if a Beachfront becomes available.

This is our first time visiting Hawaii. Our other trips have always been to Disney properties or touring colleges.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
stayed there for 7 days this past sept. loved the hotel. there are 2 towers, try and get the newer tower as the rooms are nicer. they really need to refurbish the older tower. for the money, best deal in honolulu.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Knickknacks, food and clothes are sold at the little exchange downstairs. The prices beat anything in the ABC stores for sure. The Hale Koa is one of the few hotels that offer luaus right down in Waikiki and it is decently priced.
Curious. Are any of those facilities (shops, restaurants, luau) and/or prices available to the general walk-in civilian public? Or are they exclusively for qualifying DD guests and their families?

I've often admired their luau when walking by it on the beachwalk at night, and always wondered if the public were ever allowed to purchase tickets.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Looks like only qualified folks?

Food and Beverage Facilities
Food and Beverage facilities may be used by the following categories of personnel:

A. Personnel authorized room accommodations as outlined on the previous page. Room guests who do not have ID cards will be given a temporary Hale Koa identification card that will permit them to use hotel facilities while registered at the hotel.

B. Military club system members (active associate and honorary) identified by a valid and current membership card.

C. Guests accompanied by authorized personnel.

D. Foreign National Armed Forces personnel and their family members when authorized unlimited exchange privileges.

E. Members of military service organizations, including: Association of the U.S. Army, Navy League, Friends of Hickam, and Air Force Association, identified by a current membership card.

http://halekoa.com/elig.htm

On the luau: http://halekoa.com/luau.htm
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by cblaisd
C. Guests accompanied by authorized personnel.
That may be the broadest of the categories. I've had lunch at the HK under that category (went with a civilian contractor who wanted to hire me) and I'm very visibly not DOD...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:52 pm

I don't personally enjoy the "vibe" at the Hale Koa hotel. It is however a good deal, to be sure.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks cblaisd!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Ok, here is my opinion. As someone that has stayed there twice on vacation, lived in the hotel for 30 days after I first arrived here 5 years ago, and a couple of rooms for family, I am well qualified to speak of the Hale Koa.
PROs: Great price is you are eligibe. Definitely the best price in Waikiki for the location. . . .
good day,

also, since the hotel is technically a military facility, the items in the shop are a few dollars cheaper than elsewhere, and there is no sales tax. so, pick up your film, disposable camera, knick-knacks, etc there to save yourself some $$$ to spend elsewhere.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
We just returned from Honolulu, where we attended the 65th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association with a family friend who was aboard the USS Tennessee on 12/7/1941. My husband is retired military so we were able to visit the Hale Koa and use its facilities.

I was favorably impressed with the hotel, but cannot comment on the rooms as we didn't stay there. The hotel and grounds are large, with pools, beautiful gardens, excellent access to the beach. There are many activities each day, with calendars available onsite. This hotel is considered "the jewel in the crown" of US worldwide military recreation facilities.

We did eat two meals (one dinner and one lunch) at the Koko Cafe. We were asked for military ID when entering the restaurant. The food was good, not outstanding, the prices were about half of what we paid for similar meals elsewhere. I thought the lunch menu was better than the dinner menu, with more selections and an especially good dessert variety. The restaurant is open air, with a lanai for dining overlooking the gardens and beach. We ate lunch there yesterday, the ambience was wonderful.

You will save a lot of money by using the Hale Koa restaurants. We were required to show military ID when paying for items purchased in the "exchange" (store) on the ground floor. There is a travel and activities office, I assume tours are available at reduced rates.

I would say this hotel is an excellent choice for a graduation trip. I'm quite sure you would not be able to find less expensive accommodations or food options on Waikiki Beach.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: Many
My wife's cousin had his wedding rehearsal dinner there last summer. We would not otherwise be able to partake, so it was my first time on the premises in many years of visiting Honolulu. The food was quite good if not Halekulani quality, service was quite good. Pool and other F&B venues looked nice. After dinner we were able to wander around a bit and visited a few of the shops. Overall, it seems that it is probably pretty good value for money if one is eligible to stay there.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: spg gold
Oahu Hotel Recommendation

Never been to Hawaii before. I am renting a villa for 7 days in Kailua. I need to stay in a hotel for my last day. I am not sure why I figured why Waikiki Beach would be a fun place to stay. I found a rate of $109 at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulan and also a rate of $119 at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. If anyone has stayed at either of these properties I would appreciate your input or if you would suggest a different area, I am looking for suggestions. I will be there the middle of March 2010.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...heretostay.htm

I'd also add the Sheraton Waikiki for the most popular amongst football teams. The Ihilani Resort for the most popular amongst Pro football teams (ProBowlers usually stay there). The Turtle Bay (ex-Hilton) as the farthest hotel. The Pagoda/Ala Moana Hotel as the most local hotel.

Surprised to find that the Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Ihilani did not make USA Today's list.

Enjoy.

aloha
Thanks for the suggestion- looking into/ about to book the Pagoda I think... decent- and the price is right ^ (plus the deal I can get allows for free parking too - solves the rental/no rental dilemma I had been having since I need to visit Costco too - plus other parts of the island )
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Having stayed in the Pagoda for several nights, I'd have to characterize it as a dump. Lots of interesting characters and fun folks and indeed lots of local color, but I found the hotel to be about the caliber (for an inter-island comparison) of the Seaside in Hilo
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the suggestion- looking into/ about to book the Pagoda I think... decent- and the price is right ^ (plus the deal I can get allows for free parking too - solves the rental/no rental dilemma I had been having since I need to visit Costco too - plus other parts of the island )
Please, Pagoda is a dump. It does attract colorful local characters, a rather strange, if not unique, place. But it is a dump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.