Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Old May 4, 15, 1:54 pm

Hotel to stay in HNL with shuttle - Hilton, Marriott, IHG?

I am arriving in HNL closer to midnight.

Which Hilton, Marriott, or IHG have shuttle service to the airport?

Any recommendations on a hotel for my family - only staying two nights.
Thanks
Old May 5, 15, 2:03 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by sciconf View Post
I am arriving in HNL closer to midnight.

Which Hilton, Marriott, or IHG have shuttle service to the airport?

Any recommendations on a hotel for my family - only staying two nights.
Thanks
There are no major chain hotels by the airport. They are all located in Waikiki, which is roughly 8-10 miles away. The complimentary airport shuttles are generally not available. Best bet is to take a cab or prearrange a shuttle service.
Old May 5, 15, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; XT1032 Build/LMY47M.M001) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.111 Mobile Safari/537.36)

IIRC the two airport options are a Best Western and a hotel affiliated with the Outrigger group.

Be sure to check that shuttles for these two run on a 24 hour basis.
Old May 5, 15, 7:30 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
IIRC the two airport options are a Best Western and a hotel affiliated with the Outrigger group.

Be sure to check that shuttles for these two run on a 24 hour basis.
Cf. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...lidated+hotels
Old Sep 5, 15, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Honolulu - where to stay?

So I have a three-night layover in Hawaii in about two weeks. I have platinum status with Marriott, SPG and Hyatt. I've stayed at the Moana Surfrider Westin and wasn't terribly impressed. Just too busy with inconsistent service and a lot of fees for this and that. The Marriott seems to be very weak, though I understand renovations are underway. I typically stay where I can get a government rate.

Where should I stay? I like to lay out in the sun during the day, but I do need to at least see Pearl Harbor and maybe one or two other sights in Honolulu.

Any suggestions? I figure I'll want to rent a car for at least one day.
Old Sep 5, 15, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Honolulu - where to stay?

I'm not a big fan of Waikiki in general, but if you want to stay in the three big chains, Hyatt and Marriott are weak chains in Oahu. For SPG, the royal Hawaiian is probably the best, followed by the moana surfrider. I would not stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. Regardless of where you stay, you'll pay for that, since hotels are killing it now with high demand and occupation rate. You'll also face the congested beaches in Waikiki, which is my main reason to dislike the area.

When I have visitors staying in Waikiki, I typically send them to the Hilton for big chains/kids-friendly place, or the halekulani if they want to pay for good service/amenities. Right Outside Waikiki, there are some decent small hotels like the new otani: Tiny rooms but a beautiful beach and breakfast restaurant without the congested tourists. You shouldn't discard Airbnb, many of the condos in ala moana area are probably better quality than a hotel.

Outside Oahu, there are better properties of the big chains. Maui in particular has some very good ones...
Old Sep 5, 15, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hawaii Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 5, 15, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Depending on budget, I really like the Halekulani and the Kahala, both well-established lux properties that are priced accordingly. Though the Trump is #1 on TripAdvisor, and when he's sworn in, perhaps a stay there will become retroactively tax-deductible

Waikiki is very crowded though, so for more quiet/privacy perhaps try the Big Island, Kauai, or even Lanai, which is very low-key. In 3 days, it can still make sense to go to another island.
Old Sep 6, 15, 4:09 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by vhrum View Post
Depending on budget, I really like the Halekulani and the Kahala, both well-established lux properties that are priced accordingly.
The Kahala is close enough to Waikiki that you can easily take the resort's free shuttle (10 minutes) to the shopping areas, although with a great beach there, free bicycles, swim-with-the-dolphins program and 5 restaurants you may want to stay put and chill out at the resort -- except to see the Arizona (go very early, the hotel's concierge will help you). And there's a car rental office there if you feel like driving to the North Shore.

The Kahala is a super option if it fits your budget. Be sure to book through FHR or a Virtuoso agent for complimentary benefits:
* Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
* Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
* One time $100 resort credit, to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
* Early check-in, late check-out, subject to availability

Renting kayaks or whale watching from the resort are fun. Plenty to do right there .... in a more peaceful setting than Waikiki.
Old Sep 6, 15, 2:49 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
If you qualify, look into the Hale Koa, the Government owned hotel next to the Hilton. Great rates, comfy rooms, cheap parking, great beach, etc. we always stay there when we can.

DD
Old Sep 6, 15, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
So I have a three-night layover in Hawaii in about two weeks. I have platinum status with Marriott, SPG and Hyatt. I've stayed at the Moana Surfrider Westin and wasn't terribly impressed. Just too busy with inconsistent service and a lot of fees for this and that. The Marriott seems to be very weak, though I understand renovations are underway. I typically stay where I can get a government rate.

Where should I stay? I like to lay out in the sun during the day, but I do need to at least see Pearl Harbor and maybe one or two other sights in Honolulu.

Any suggestions? I figure I'll want to rent a car for at least one day.
theres a Hertz in the basement of the Hyatt, although you 1st have to go up the escalator 1 floor to check-in. I usually use my HZ pts for the rental and bring it back before they close so no parking charges

If the MS wasnt up to par then most hotels wont be and those that will be might not offer Govt rate and if they do they may require that you be there for biz and not simply having a leisure stay, as others have said Halekulani is #1 and Trump (not on the beach) and you walk thru the Halekulani . Just below Id say the Embassy Suites across from Trump

Bear in mind with the exception of The Hilton Hawaiian Village most hotels have very small pools and sunbathing areas The HHV is a city and anything but quiet and imo the only real resort in Waikiki but tons of kids and people all over the place.
Old Sep 6, 15, 5:09 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Where should I stay?
Would be helpful have some parameters on which you normally base decisions, aside from wanting to lie in the sun. Price? Etc?
Old Sep 7, 15, 12:23 pm

I have no knowledge of your Hyatt plan, but both hotels sound good. Never stayed at either one but have walked through the Regency many times. Impressive. The H. Place sounds good and would probably be my choice.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hu_Hawaii.html

From a previous posting re. Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, 2270 Kalakaua:

Great Location. Across the street is McDonald's Spam, egg and rice breakfast or $1 specials.
Down the street is the over 100 year old hotel (oldest in Waikiki) Moana Surfrider with a tour MWF at 11:00 including possible murder story. Starts on 2nd floor.
https://www.hawaii-aloha.com/blog/20...ana-surfrider/

Royal Hawaiian also give tours Tue. and Thur 1:00.
http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/resort...ort-activities

Just past the Moana is the Duke's at the Outrigger with a Hawaiian with my favorite Kahlua pig and cabbage on the lunch buffet.

A block back toward Kuhio is Me's BBQ, our favorite for Korean chicken BBQ and 4 sides. I like the kimchi. Unless you are chow hounds, only get one.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mes-bbq-honolulu

The Seafood Village in the Hyatt R. basement is always good.

Father Damien Museum at the Catholic church up the street is interesting.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...hu_Hawaii.html

Arnold's is a good sort of Tiki non tourist bar.
http://www.arnoldswaikiki.com/

The Waikiki military museum is good.
http://www.hiarmymuseumsoc.org/visit.html

For a first timer, the Arizona Memorial is a MUST. TheBus 20 or 42 takes about an hour and drops you on site. Walk back to main road for return. $2.50 exact change. Get a transfer on return to stop off at the Ala Moana (shopping) Center for their food court.

Cheapest booze, food, etc in Waikiki is at the Food Pantry on Kuhio.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...hu_Hawaii.html
Have a good time. Ken

PS If there is anyway you can get there for dinner, La Mariana is well worth it.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...hu_Hawaii.html
Old Sep 7, 15, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill View Post
The Kahala is close enough to Waikiki that you can easily take the resort's free shuttle (10 minutes) to the shopping areas, although with a great beach there, free bicycles, swim-with-the-dolphins program and 5 restaurants you may want to stay put and chill out at the resort -- except to see the Arizona (go very early, the hotel's concierge will help you). And there's a car rental office there if you feel like driving to the North Shore.

The Kahala is a super option if it fits your budget. Be sure to book through FHR or a Virtuoso agent for complimentary benefits:
* Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
* Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
* One time $100 resort credit, to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
* Early check-in, late check-out, subject to availability

Renting kayaks or whale watching from the resort are fun. Plenty to do right there .... in a more peaceful setting than Waikiki.
One could also join the Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club at the lower level for $150 a year, for all these benefits plus 1 stay credit per stay, with 5 stay credits equaling one free night at any of their properties. Availability for these is excellent, and one could choose some $150-$400/night hotels (of which there are plenty) and then stack the award nights (up to 3) at properties in the Maldives, the Ritz Paris upon reopening, and other properties of similar caliber and price.
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Bear in mind with the exception of The Hilton Hawaiian Village most hotels have very small pools and sunbathing areas
Just about the only thing the Marriott Waikiki has going for it is its two pools - the smaller one to the north is often quiet and gets good midday to afternoon sun.

As craz says, virtually all other hotels in Waikiki have a single, smallish pool that can get quite crowded.

Search this Thread