Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread

Old Sep 20, 13, 11:48 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Pagoda Hotel
Having stayed there a couple of times, it is clean but it is at best 1-star. But on the plus side, you'll have lots of locals and their `ohana staying there and is much, much less the "tourist" experience than most of the Waikiki hotels.
Old Sep 20, 13, 1:50 pm

I'm looking at the following three hotels, not much price difference.

VIVE hotel Junior Suite - Can't find much on it. View and lanai I can happily exchange for a bigger room.

Shoreline King City View

Aston Circle - because it's closest to the beach, I might consider the suitcase sized room.

Between the Shoreline and VIVE, which one has the shortest walk to the beach?

And of course any recommendations for other hotels would be great.
Old Sep 21, 13, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Having stayed there a couple of times, it is clean but it is at best 1-star. But on the plus side, you'll have lots of locals and their `ohana staying there and is much, much less the "tourist" experience than most of the Waikiki hotels.
I had a reservation here once but my friend balked when we arrived and looked at the room... ended up $$$ for the room instead (and still at a non-chain so no points)

Think Hawaii 5-0 (new) had a scene shot running thru the place a season or two ago
Old Jan 2, 14, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Sheraton or Hyatt Regency Waikiki

I found some good last minute award availability to HNL 1/17-20 and will be going with my wife. I've not been to Oahu for years, and would like advice on hotels. I am currently weighing options between the Sheraton and Hyatt Regency. Which hotel would you recommend staying at for three award nights? I am SPG gold and Hyatt platinum, with plenty of points in both programs.

Key consideration for me is likelihood of an upgrade and view from the room. Pool facility and general location is secondary. Onsite amenities are relatively unimportant. Would booking a base level room at either property stand a chance of being upgraded to an ocean view?

We will be renting a car and not spending too much time in Waikiki, so I am open to other lodging suggestions. I narrowed it to SPG or Hyatt as I have points and status with those properties (only SPG property with award availability is the Sheraton).

Mods, please feel free to move if this belongs in SPG or Hyatt forums. This thread doesn't seem particularly active...
Old Jan 3, 14, 6:51 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by moondog417 View Post
I found some good last minute award availability to HNL 1/17-20 and will be going with my wife. I've not been to Oahu for years, and would like advice on hotels. I am currently weighing options between the Sheraton and Hyatt Regency. Which hotel would you recommend staying at for three award nights? I am SPG gold and Hyatt platinum, with plenty of points in both programs.

Key consideration for me is likelihood of an upgrade and view from the room. Pool facility and general location is secondary. Onsite amenities are relatively unimportant. Would booking a base level room at either property stand a chance of being upgraded to an ocean view?

We will be renting a car and not spending too much time in Waikiki, so I am open to other lodging suggestions. I narrowed it to SPG or Hyatt as I have points and status with those properties (only SPG property with award availability is the Sheraton). Aloha! Have fun.

Mods, please feel free to move if this belongs in SPG or Hyatt forums. This thread doesn't seem particularly active...
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani or Sheraton Waikiki? (Assume you are interested in SPK) The "Princess" along with the Hyatt are not beach front, but just a block off the beach. Hyatt has very small roof top pool area. SPK has a larger patio pool area with nightly music. Both have ocean view rooms. Sheraton Waikiki (next door to the Royal Hawaiian) has two pools and beautiful beach front bar (Rumfire). And ocean front/view room, of course.

But, since you mentioned that amenities are not that important, I would just go with the property that you can get your ocean view/front room. Am sure you can find reviews/pictures of the rooms at both resorts.
Old Jan 3, 14, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by davesam12 View Post
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani or Sheraton Waikiki? (Assume you are interested in SPK) The "Princess" along with the Hyatt are not beach front, but just a block off the beach. Hyatt has very small roof top pool area. SPK has a larger patio pool area with nightly music. Both have ocean view rooms. Sheraton Waikiki (next door to the Royal Hawaiian) has two pools and beautiful beach front bar (Rumfire). And ocean front/view room, of course.

But, since you mentioned that amenities are not that important, I would just go with the property that you can get your ocean view/front room. Am sure you can find reviews/pictures of the rooms at both resorts.
I would assume your looking at the Sheraton on the beach and I would say that your better off for upgrades at the Sheraton than the Hyatt. bedsides your on the beach more reasonable restaurants on site.
Old Jan 3, 14, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the responses. Yes, the only SPG award availability for my entire stay was at the Sheraton Waikiki. That's what I'm looking at. I appreciate the feedback on locations. As I did some searching last night, I saw the infinity pool next to the ocean at Sheraton which nearly sealed the deal for me. Thanks for pointing out the rooftop feature of the Hyatt pool (though it's small).

I made speculative bookings at both. Assuming Sheraton has slightly better (or even equal) odds of upgrades from basic rooms (using points), I think I will stay there. Plus it's two blocks closer to my favorite restaurant: Shorebird. The paid rate is quite a bit higher at Sheraton, which may or may not mean anything about the quality... probably just because it's on the beach.
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just to add to the above post, my research revealed that Hyatt is close to the ocean but there is a road that separates access to the beach from the hotel.. This may play into your decision.

We have a week booked at Hyatt Waikiki later this year. You could try and book a suite using 6,000 points for 4 nights prior to the changes kicking in on January 7th.. in about 4 days. Thereafter, it will be 6,000 points per night to upgrade at Hyatt Daily Rate for an entry level suite. Availability is scarce though.

Alternatively, iirc 3,000 points per 4 nights to upgrade your stay with lounge access.
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:48 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
At this point, please take discussion of particular Hyatt or Starwood properties to the extant threads in those forums, thanks.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Hawai`i forum
Old Jan 16, 14, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Which would you choose for a three night stay: Hyatt Regency with Diamond Status, or Hilton Hawaiian Village with Gold status?
Old Jan 16, 14, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've always gotten an upgrade at the Hilton as a gold member.

It's a kid-friendly hotel, including a special children's program (for a fee) and a pool with a slide.

If a one-bedroom in the Lagoon tower is available for points and you have enough, I'd book that. You'll get a full kitchen with dishes, separate bedroom, and free laundry room down the hall since it's one of the timeshare towers.
Old Jan 16, 14, 9:36 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Which would you choose for a three night stay: Hyatt Regency with Diamond Status, or Hilton Hawaiian Village with Gold status?
All things being equal, HHV. But perhaps you have special desires in a hotel and location, and if we knew, we could give better advice.
Old Jan 16, 14, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
All things being equal, HHV. But perhaps you have special desires in a hotel and location, and if we knew, we could give better advice.
We will be arriving from Japan on a flight that leaves around 8 or 9 PM Japan time, and arrives around 8 or 9 AM Hawaii time. I think that, for the first night, we would want a quiet place that would let us check in as early as possible. I am pretty sure that HRW as a Diamond would win in that regard.

After that, I think that the family might prefer the location of HHV, but I wonder if it is worth getting out and moving one more time.
Old Jan 16, 14, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We will be arriving from Japan on a flight that leaves around 8 or 9 PM Japan time, and arrives around 8 or 9 AM Hawaii time. I think that, for the first night, we would want a quiet place that would let us check in as early as possible. I am pretty sure that HRW as a Diamond would win in that regard.

After that, I think that the family might prefer the location of HHV, but I wonder if it is worth getting out and moving one more time.
HHV is a family friendly resort. If you have kids, and everything else is equal, then HHV will have your family's attention.

Obviously, as a Hyatt Diamond Member, you'll always receive excellent treatment at HR.. reading the reviews, HRW treats its Diamond Members well you are correct.

We are considering HHV for a very short stay for a couple of nights.. between Grand Wailea and HHV.
Old Jan 16, 14, 6:46 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
We are considering HHV for a very short stay for a couple of nights.. between Grand Wailea and HHV.
GW and HHV are apples and oranges, but both nice places. GW much more peaceful and upscale environment, IMO.

Search this Thread