Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by njxbean
I will be in Honolulu(Waikiki) at the beginning of June and im looking for some food recommendations. We are pretty open regarding price. Just looking for good food.

On yelp i saw a place Ono that looks good. Anyone been? I also noticed that on May 31st there is a food truck rally which sounds cool. Anyone know anything about the food truck scene? Any good hole in the walls?

We are open to venturing away from Waikiki if its worth it.

Thanks.
The House without a Key is a very special place to enjoy breakfast in the morning or leisurely dinner with Hawaiian music in the evenings. For the sheer deliciousness of the food, Roys is hard to beat. We also enjoy Nobu just up the road from Roys. You will want reservations for all of these places.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The House without a Key is a very special place to enjoy breakfast in the morning or leisurely dinner with Hawaiian music in the evenings. For the sheer deliciousness of the food, Roys is hard to beat. We also enjoy Nobu just up the road from Roys. You will want reservations for all of these places.
Thanks. Is Roys the same Roys that used to have a restaurant in NYC?

I will look into those other two. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Also any recommendations for places to either eat or grab a drink at sunset?
Old May 13, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott

What are your needs....? Just hanging out to watch it set....or something romantic...?
Old May 13, 2013, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Thanks. Is Roys the same Roys that used to have a restaurant in NYC?
Yes, but try not to think of it as a New York restaurant.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Sunset drinks

Rumfire at the Sheraton Waikiki (great beach views w/ drinks and bar menu, popular/busy)
House Without a Key - Halekulani (heaven, but very expensive and posh and popular)
Westin Moana Surfrider - Banyan Beach Bar (view and drink bar menu. can be busy)
Monana Terrace at the Marriott Waikiki - (pool level terrace with views and drink and bar menu)
Dukes Terrace at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach ( popular and busy.)
Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian (fun, views, drinks and bar menu - but always busy)
Old May 13, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by davesam12
Rumfire at the Sheraton Waikiki (great beach views w/ drinks and bar menu, popular/busy)
House Without a Key - Halekulani (heaven, but very expensive and posh and popular)
Westin Moana Surfrider - Banyan Beach Bar (view and drink bar menu. can be busy)
Monana Terrace at the Marriott Waikiki - (pool level terrace with views and drink and bar menu)
Dukes Terrace at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach ( popular and busy.)
Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian (fun, views, drinks and bar menu - but always busy)
I'd toss in Chart House as well.....

Outrigger Canoe Club/Elks (Private Clubs if you have access or know folks that do).

Nico's on Pier 38.

I'm sure I'm missing some. Once again, it depends if you are looking for a drink or something more romantic.....
Old May 17, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On an upcoming Sunday night, I'll be hanging out with about 20-25 friends on Waikiki beach. Many of us are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village with the rest scattered in the resorts along the beach.

I've been tasked with finding a place where we can all hang out for 90-120 minutes or so to drink some beer / liquor. Perhaps munch on some light bites.

I know the Ali'i Tower at the HWV has a nice happy hour but after happy hour, I'd imagine hefty resort pricing comes out. (Although I would imagine everywhere around the beach has hefty resort pricing.)

Anyone have recommendations where this size of a group can hang out and chat and have a few drinks before heading out in the town?

I'm also considering Duke's, but not sure what my other options for a crowd this big would be.
I'd suggest Barefoot Bar at the Hale Koa Hotel. It is a military hotel but the bar is open to the public. It is a *very* low key place. It has a back yard, cheap lawn furniture feel but the sunset and mai-tai's can not be beat!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Waikiki restaurants similar/comparable to Mama's

When on Maui we always go to Mama's Fish House, but we expect to be in Honolulu for a few days. So we're wondering if there's a Waikiki-area restaurant comparable to Mama's both in food & (especially) ambiance.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Have not been to Mamas. What are you seeking: Good seafood?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Have not been to Mamas. What are you seeking: Good seafood?
Yes, and preferably on/at the beach with a sunset view
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BH62
For the view, cannot beat Michel's (upscale), and Hau Tree Lanai. Both are on the outskirt of Waikiki, within walking distance for most. A good laid-back restaurant is Nico's Pier 38, reachable by cab. It is at a working pier. A great upscale restaurant with a view reachable by cab is Hoku's at the Kahala Hotel.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by BH62
If you want a central Waikiki location ---Terrace table at either Duke's or Hula Grill both at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Or on either side -- The Veranda at the Westin Moana Surfrider or outdoor seating at Azul's at the Royal Hawaiian.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Priv, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Originally Posted by davesam12
If you want a central Waikiki location ---Terrace table at either Duke's or Hula Grill both at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Or on either side -- The Veranda at the Westin Moana Surfrider or outdoor seating at Azul's at the Royal Hawaiian.
Late to this, but since others may also get ideas from this thread, wil add my 2 cents. +1 for Azure at the Royal Hawaiian--very well prepared dishes and attentive service. We sat inside, and you may need to order the tasting menu to secure one of the oceanfront cabanas--see http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining...royal-papaaina
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:06 pm

Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Just leaving Honolulu- had great meals 3 places

Hua Tree lanai - we also stayed at the hotel it is housed in (New Otani) and were very pleased.

Hula Grill (when we couldn't get in to Dukes), just upstairs from Dukez, great meal

La Mariana- a tiki bar off Sand Island Road. Loved it here, had the best Ahi Poke I've ever had

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.