Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiians in "Da Bigs"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Hawaiians in "Da Bigs"

Hey: Tyler Yates, middle name Kali, RHP with the Atlanta Braves, born in 1977, Lihue, Hawai'i, had an awesome outing today on the mound in Atlanta's win over the Florida Marlins, and brought his ERA down to 3.60 with 6 strikeouts! http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5098

Who can you add to this list of Hawai'ian Pride?

Let's keep an informal tally going of our "boyz in da big's", this season, and maybe roll on into football season too, with players like the NY Jet's Kimo von Oelhaffen, born in Kaunakakai, Hawai'i. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimo_von_Oelhoffen
Old Apr 16, 2007, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
How about Mosey Tatupu who plaed for New England Patriots.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
How about Mosey Tatupu who plaed for New England Patriots.
Mosi Tatupu was a standout player for Punahou, and set many Hawai'i state records. His son Lofa Tatupu, #51, is in his third season as starting middle linebacker with the Seattle Seahawks! And Lofa's quarterback/teammate Matt Hasselbeck is the son of Don Hasselbeck, tight end and former teammate of Lofa's father Mosi's, on the New England Patriots!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosi_Tatupu

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 16, 2007 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

MLB's "Flyin Hawai'ian" Played Tough Last Night vs NY Mets

Wailuku-born Shane Victorino went 1 for 3, with a double and two walks, but had 1 throwing error, in an 8-1 trouncing by the NY Mets last night. The loss leaves Philly in last place in all of MLB, with only 3 wins to their 9 losses.

Shane won his starting job this season when the Phillies traded superstar right fielder Bobby Abreu to the NY Yankees, giving Shane the nod for his first regular starting job in the bigs.

Shane is known for his speed, making him a base stealing threat, and giving him the ability to cover lots of the outfield.

Shane is hitting a solid .250 for the year, so far, and we look forward to following this Maui boy in his exciting major league career!

Here's a link to Shane's website: http://www.mauiproperties.com/shanevictorino.htm
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Does Herman Wedemeyer count?

http://www.hawaiifive0.org/duke_lukela.shtml
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
The "Hawai'ian Hurricane"? You bet he counts!

That is a way fun link you've provided!!! Mahalo!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:32 am

ever heard of kavika ordenstein? he used to be da bigs.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexus9
ever heard of kavika ordenstein? he used to be da bigs.
Kawika Ordenstein was a wide receiver/teamate of QB Darnell Arcenaux at St. Louis High, then left to play for the New Mexico Lobos, and later re-kindled the association as teammates on the Hawai'i Islanders team of the Arena Football League for the 2002 - 2004 seasons, IIRC. I believe he was invited to try out with an NFL team. Any recent news of him?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:26 am

I knew of him when he was a little baby till about 3 years old. Then was very surprised when he played for new mexico. I got in touch with him talk about the past. Now I don't know what he is doing.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Mahalo, alexus9, for the info!

Here's another local standout: Chad Owens aka "Mighty Mouse"

I was fortunate enough to meet this Honolulu native, and Roosevelt High and UH graduate, and Jacksonville Jaguar, along with his lovely wife and family aboard an HA flight back home to Honolulu! Always a favorite of his teammates and fans alike, Chad is the receipient of the Mosie Tatupu Award for the best special teams player in the nation! Here's a link to this fine young man's bio and stats:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/owens_chad

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/418147
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:44 pm

no problem kaukau

couple of islanders here in the mainland in da bigs yes or no?

junior seau and kolone
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexus9
no problem kaukau

couple of islanders here in the mainland in da bigs yes or no?

junior seau and kolone
Shoots, brah!

Junior Seau and Chris Kolone: Proud Sons Of Samoa, both!

Is there anyone in the NFL more universally loved and respected by peers and fans than Junior Seau? I think not! In 2005, Junior Seau was awarded the "Volunteer of the Year" award by President Bush! Along with Redskin Joe Salave'a, their operation of youth football camps in Hawai'i and Samoa earned them praise and honors from Congressman Eni Faleomavaega during the Asia Pacific American Heritage Month ceremonies. Born in San Diego, Junior's Island heritage and 12 (!!!!!) Hawai'i Pro Bowl appearances have made him a figure of Hawai'i pride! Junior suffered a broken bone during play with the New England Patriots in his 15th season, last November, and we all pray for a swift and full recovery so that we may all be treated to another season of this future Hall of Famer's exemplary talents! See article:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/9839053

Chris Kolone:

The Kalone family lived in Samoa for 12 years, before moving to Hawai'i, and then San Diego. Chris plays Defensive Tackle for the Montana State Bobcats. In the 2006 season, wearing #97, and weighing 286 pounds, Chris racked up 7 tackles, with 22 assists last year for the Bobcats. Chris missed a season of college play when he chose to give unselfishly of himself to nurse his younger brother through a very serious illness. This young man has character and integrity. More info on Chris and a possible future in da bigs would be appreciated! See this article from the Bozeman Chronicle on Chris Kolone:

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/art...rts/02cats.txt

Last edited by kaukau; Apr 19, 2007 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:23 pm

Wow kaukau!! I had no idea about kolone family. One of his kids brother is my sons best friend. A very down to earth modest family. The kids are just talented athletically with no effort. He hung out with my son alot and they got along very well. Always with a big smile when he sees my son. He hung out with my son at home and played with him. At 10 years old the boy could throw a spiral like a pro. I like the family especially his kid. I had no idea about the illness as I don't ask or pry into private matters. I will try and find out and share here with you.

Last edited by alexus9; Apr 19, 2007 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I'm going to show my age, but since we're not limiting the discussion to present day...here goes.

Ron Darling, former Mets pitcher was born in Honolulu, I think.

Regarding Mosi Tatupu, I was at the Punahou - Iolani game in I think it was 1971. Tatupu had a great game and was one of the best high school players I ever saw. A man playing against boys.
Old May 5, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

A big Aloha! to Sid Fernandez and his wife Noelani!!!

Sid was born in Honolulu, went to Kaiser High School, pitched a no-hitter in his first high school start; was drafted by the Dodgers right out of high school, and wore #50 (^) throughout his career in Da Bigs!!! A World Series champion with the 1986 Mets, they played the theme music to Hawaii-50 at Shea Stadium, prior to games he pitched!!! Click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Fernandez

And on FOX TV's Saturday Game Of The Week, right now, the Chicago Cubs vs San Francisco Giants; starring in right field for the Phillies, batting .295 and wearing #8: Maui's own Flyin' Hawaiian: Shane Victorino!! - who led off the first inning with a base hit, stole second, went to third on the throw, and scored on a base hit by Jimmy Rollins! Phillies take a one-to-nothing lead, courtesy of our speedy Flyin' Hawaiian!!!

Last edited by kaukau; May 5, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.