Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Sold Out for Spring Break?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Hawaii Sold Out for Spring Break?

Try booking a flight from the mainland to HNL departing/arriving on a Saturday and you will find it nigh impossible. For those of you living on the islands, how busy does it get during Spring Break? I know that my friends along with probably half of the high school and college students of America and Canada are going to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel and those places are JAM PACKED. How bad is it on Oahu? I'm going there in two weeks and will be spending a lot of time at our beach house on the North Shore, and I'd really like a relaxing spring break. Plus I can't drink yet.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jerry_pham
Try booking a flight from the mainland to HNL departing/arriving on a Saturday and you will find it nigh impossible. For those of you living on the islands, how busy does it get during Spring Break? I know that my friends along with probably half of the high school and college students of America and Canada are going to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel and those places are JAM PACKED. How bad is it on Oahu? I'm going there in two weeks and will be spending a lot of time at our beach house on the North Shore, and I'd really like a relaxing spring break. Plus I can't drink yet.
It's not too bad. I've been having a problem getting out of HNL within the next few weeks. Prices were bad since early February, now only full Y-fares and expensive fare classes available. DOE (Dept. of Edu)'s spring break runs from March 24-April 1; those are the dates you want to avoid at all costs.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
If you're after a ticket that close to your departure you will have problems. My wife and I just returned last Wednesday to the mainland. We used award tickets at about 2 weeks out and the flights were limited and finding good seats quite challenging but we expected that. Oahu is alway busy even when it's not spring break but if you're looking to kick back and avoid most of the traffic hassles the North Shore is an excellent choice especially if you have a private beach house. Have fun and enjoy.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Hate Coach
If you're after a ticket that close to your departure you will have problems. My wife and I just returned last Wednesday to the mainland. We used award tickets at about 2 weeks out and the flights were limited and finding good seats quite challenging but we expected that. Oahu is alway busy even when it's not spring break but if you're looking to kick back and avoid most of the traffic hassles the North Shore is an excellent choice especially if you have a private beach house. Have fun and enjoy.
LOL NO! I bought my tickets three months ago, in preparation for exactly this. I just wanted to know if the island got exceptionally crowded.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by jerry_pham
LOL NO! I bought my tickets three months ago, in preparation for exactly this. I just wanted to know if the island got exceptionally crowded.
North Shore crowded? Never!

Seriously, if you have a beach house of your own you will be fine. It's the people crowding the hotels/bars/beaches in Waikiki and Maui hotspots that will suffer.

Somewhat o/t:

I wonder if Girls Gone Wild will be there this year? I'd like to run that guy over. The brakes on my Jeep fail sometimes...
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by notsosmart
North Shore crowded? Never!
Waimea Bay on a glossy summer weekday is the best time to visit the North Shore for enjoying the beach. Parking is still a tough one, but the beach is far from crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.