Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The "Kona Wind Landing into HNL" Thread (For Best Views Landing into HNL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

I'll try to post here when there's Kona Wind arrivals into HNL.

What is a Kona Wind arrival might you ask? In general, the normal departure scheme is taking off to the South and landing from the North, meaning that the left side of the aircraft has a great view of Waikiki and the greater Honolulu area on departure.

However, when there are Kona winds (or anything that flips the winds around), all aircraft take-off and land the other way, which provides for incredible views from the right side of the aircraft upon arrival into HNL. You'll see Diamond Head, Waikiki, Kaka`ako, Downtown Honolulu, and greater Honolulu up close and personal from your plane.

Kona wind arrivals are truly unique as they happen probably 5% of the entire year and is a great way to start off the vacation. So, posting here that the planes are arriving with the Kona winds gives those landing in HNL the opportunity to sit on the "correct" side of the plane to have incredible views of Honolulu while landing. Kona wind landings also apply to interisland flight arrivals as well. So if you're coming in from OGG/KOA/ITO/JHM/MKK/LNY and to a lesser extent LIH, be sure to sit on the right side of the plane when flying to HNL.

So, here's the start: For the past four days, all planes have been landing with Kona winds.

Last edited by slippahs; May 1, 2009 at 8:21 pm
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I like the kona winds because that is the only time I get a breeze in my condo. Usually the winds are from the opposite direction. My condo faces the south and just bakes most of the time in the late afternoon. The breezes are feeling nice. For those in Hawaii today, bundle up. It is set to get down to 58 tonight in Oahu. Brrrrrr.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I like the kona winds because that is the only time I get a breeze in my condo. Usually the winds are from the opposite direction. My condo faces the south and just bakes most of the time in the late afternoon. The breezes are feeling nice. For those in Hawaii today, bundle up. It is set to get down to 58 tonight in Oahu. Brrrrrr.
Brrr... But it sounds like the perfect weather to attend the Punahou Carnival.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:44 pm

Here in Kaua'i, Kona winds have definitely ceased as of this morning. It is seriously cold however and we expect to see the 50's tonight. Fireplace time.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:07 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
LAX-HNL today landed on 26L. I've never landed on that runaway or been on a plane on that approach. Was a fascinating view.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:19 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Yup. Our last few landings ( 1/28, 2/1) all Kona kine. You dont head out and make that big U-turn. Straight in over Waikiki onto the reef runway. Definately a rainy season approach. We likee also!!!! P.S. Equally unusual is the Kona kine approach into OGG: around the backside of Maui via Kahakoloa and down over Sprecklesville for a "backwards" landing. Did that 2/1 on HA #156, HNL - OGG. Now that's also something we dont get to do except in the rainy season!

Last edited by kaukau; Feb 3, 2007 at 12:35 am
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
And don't forget that Kona landing into Lihu'e

The one which descends alond the Kapa'a coast and has the abort path directly into the mountain on the other side of Nawiliwili. Gotta STICK that one.

Hey but you end the roll out about 50 feet from gate 10.

Lihue1k
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Alright, well the winds have shifted back to the normal trade winds take-off/landing patterns. But I'll try to make sure to post here when the winds shift again.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Kona landing today! Just stepped off WP #55, JHM-HNL; posting from the ShakaNet HSIA by Gate 59 in the Inter-Island terminal. Kona winds approach: over Diamondhead, straight along the Waikiki shoreline, down and onto runway 22R. Knocks about 10 minutes off the total flight time; great views. Really enjoyed it!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by kaukau
Kona landing today! Just stepped off WP #55, JHM-HNL; posting from the ShakaNet HSIA by Gate 59 in the Inter-Island terminal. Kona winds approach: over Diamondhead, straight along the Waikiki shoreline, down and onto runway 22R. Knocks about 10 minutes off the total flight time; great views. Really enjoyed it!
Driving into town down the Pali highway on Sunday, I noticed the planes flying over Waikiki on final.
Always a surprise, but kind of nice to watch.

Driving into town down H3 on Monday, I saw a JAL 747 flying over Ewa on final, back to normal.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Driving into town down the Pali highway on Sunday, I noticed the planes flying over Waikiki on final.
Always a surprise, but kind of nice to watch.

Driving into town down H3 on Monday, I saw a JAL 747 flying over Ewa on final, back to normal.
I saw a HAL 767 on the Kona wind approach earlier this afternoon. So perhaps the winds shifted back?

Looks a lot less hazier now than this morning, though!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
I saw a HAL 767 on the Kona wind approach earlier this afternoon. So perhaps the winds shifted back?

Looks a lot less hazier now than this morning, though!
I'm leaving the office in 10 minutes, so I'll look at the planes and let you know.

Maybe it's just me, but the last few days have been characterized more by a lack of any wind, rather than the strong Kona's I'm used to.
Kona winds are the only time the folks in Aikahi Park don't have the wastewater plant blowing like stink ( pardon the pun) back at them.

Also, I wonder if the 747s are limited to the Ewa approach unless there are strong Kona's?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Also, I wonder if the 747s are limited to the Ewa approach unless there are strong Kona's?
Maybe, as a result of this 'incident' a few years ago!

http://www.hawaiinews.com/archives/unusual/000046.shtml
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Maybe, as a result of this 'incident' a few years ago!

http://www.hawaiinews.com/archives/unusual/000046.shtml
Thanks Ripper!
The html part works fine, but the KITV video won't load.
[Welcome to the third world]

Going home tonight, I noticed 2 things:
1. there is no wind, not even on the windward side.
2. watched 2 commuter jets (HA/go! T-tail and a AQ 737) & a (possible CO)757 approach from Ewa.

hmmmm.
Bring back my trades..........
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Going home tonight, I noticed 2 things:
1. there is no wind, not even on the windward side.
2. watched 2 commuter jets (HA/go! T-tail and a AQ 737) & a (possible CO)757 approach from Ewa.
No meteorologist here, but I've noticed (just by observation, can see planes landing/take-off from house) that for the most part, planes revert to normal trade wind patters after the sun sets. Just an observation, could just be coincidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.