Reload this Page >

Oahu/Honolulu/HNL : Consolidated "Hotels Near Honolulu Airport" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Alternative thread for those considering "roughing it" - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1742268-sleeping-overnight-hnl-airport.html
Print Wikipost

Oahu/Honolulu/HNL : Consolidated "Hotels Near Honolulu Airport" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I've often seen the BW shuttle going by at HNL. I wouldn't cab it if I were you, unless you were just exhausted -- and willing to deal with an unhappy cabdriver for a 1/4 mile fare
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've often seen the BW shuttle going by at HNL. I wouldn't cab it if I were you, unless you were just exhausted -- and willing to deal with an unhappy cabdriver for a 1/4 mile fare
Mahalo, cblaisd! And I presume that from the BW to HNL is also no problem at 0600? P.S. Unhappy cab drivers dont bother me a bit: you should see them "nicen-up" when I say "Honey, hand me the 'effen' cell phone: I'm callin' the cops on this SOB for refusing to transport me." Oh yeah, they get real nice, real fast!!!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:22 pm

Airport Hotel
Does the shuttle cruise by the commuter terminal, or do we call them or walk over to the i/i terminal?

TIA,

kaukau
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Sorry, don't know. I'd call and I'm sure they'll come to the Commuter Terminal.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:35 pm

Mahalo nui loa.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
Mahalo nui loa.
We had to call when we had our bags.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by kaukau
Mahalo, cblaisd! And I presume that from the BW to HNL is also no problem at 0600? P.S. Unhappy cab drivers dont bother me a bit: you should see them "nicen-up" when I say "Honey, hand me the 'effen' cell phone: I'm callin' the cops on this SOB for refusing to transport me." Oh yeah, they get real nice, real fast!!!
First, the shuttle is available 24/7. You call either from your cell phone or the little phone / hotel booth at the airport (right outside international arrival for one place). I prefer calling via cell phone. Depending on the arrival gate they tell you where to wait and they swing by. We normally land at 2 am via international flight and at that time they still come to get us. I know they come to the commuter terminal also.

HNL airport shuttle is easier and faster then BW in the past, that's the reason I stopped going to the BW. Had one occasion where it took hours for them to come. An employee just went through on the same flight we take and she got picked up in five minutes by BW so go figure. Maybe BW's improved on their service.

As far as callin the cops, try calling in the cab number. A friend is a cabbie over there in HNL and he's more afraid of getting his number called in over having the cops called.

Either way I'd use a shuttle, it's a short short way.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:14 pm

Best Western Airport Plaza: 3/14/07

Aloha everone!

Posting from the Qantas lounge (Very Nice !) at HNL as we wait for our flight, after spending the night at the Best Western Airport Plaza Hotel. Needed to spend the night in HNL in order to connect to our 0815 JetStar flight to SYD, as no JHM WP flights connect.

WP 1559 arrived on time at 5:50pm at HNL Commuter Terminal, and I immediately went to the traveler's information kiosk courtesy phone and dialed "63" for the BW Plaza. Asked the operator to dispatch a shuttle to pick us up, and she said to wait on the center median, just across from baggage; look for the white Airport Shuttle van, about 15 minutes. Chatted with some friends who happened to be on the same flight as we waited for our bags; picked our luggage up, and walked across to the median to wait.

About 5 minutes later the van drove up, nice driver loaded our bags, and off we went, direct to the hotel, just us, nobody else. 5 minutes later we pulled up to the BW; it's so close, about 1/3 mile, I'd say. The driver unloaded our bags, asked us when we would be returning. We told him 5:00am tomorrow, tipped him $5, and he said he would tell the next driver to expect us. Nice touch.

There was only one person in line ahead of us, and two minutes later we were checking in. Front desk had everything in order, and promptly issued us a room with the king bed we requested when we made the reservation for $119.00, kama'aina. The entire property is designated non-smoking.

In spite of that designation, when we entered the room, it smelled of cigarettes. We opened the window, turned the a/c on, and 5 minutes later, as we settled in the smell was gone. With that out of the way, everything else went way beyond what we expected, BION!

Room 714 faces the airport, and the big picture window revealed a stunning o'ahu sunset, with the heavies coming in and taking off. We opened a bottle of red Bordeaux, and checked out the room: comparable to any Waikiki hotel room at that price range, and frankly, nicer than some: Coral Reef, Ohana Reef towers, and the other Lewers St. properties.

Amenities included free hi-speed internet access, a good 27" Zenith TV with all the usual cable channels, microwave, mini-fridge, iron and ironing board, blow drier, alarm clock radio, coffee maker with coffee and cream/sugar packs, free Honolulu Star-Bulletin, nice bath soap. face soap, shampoo and body lotion; plenty of clean towels in a clean bathroom with new fixtures and plenty of hot water with a good shower head. The king bed with 3 pillows was firm and comfy. We were more than satisfied with the room. It was A-OK.

With the wine stirring up an appetite we wondered about dinner. The hotel has a cocktail lounge and restaurant, but there are even better options! As we looked out our widow, overlooking a very nice pool, I saw a strip mall just across the street with several stores, but one of them caught my eye: Ninja Sushi. So off we went to explore.

As we turned left out the front door we immediately passed Byron's Drive-In, offering 24h local grindz. It is adjacent to the hotel, and would be the ticket for 10pm - 8:00am grinding, for sure. Everything you could possibly think of, on their huge local-kine menu. Just across the street from Byrons: Starbucks, Jamba Juice, L & L Drive in & Chopsticks Express, a fully stocked Mini-Market, and Ninja Sushi! That is just about anything a hungry traveler could want. We decided to try Ninja Sushi, and what a place. It is gorgeous: sparkling clean and colorful, with one of the most creative and inclusive Sushi, Sashimi, Bento, and Japanese menus I have ever seen in the Islands! Take out or dine in, we ordered a Dragon Roll, Superman Roll, and Shrimp Tempura Udon Bowl to go, stopped by the Mini-Market for two 24oz Sapporos, stopped by L & L for some Black Pepper Chicken and noodles; and back to the room to pig out and pass out. Didn't even finish it all!

The shuttle back to the airport departs the BW every 1/2 hour on the 1/2 hours. A fine restful sleep, great shower, and down to the lobby for the 5:00am shuttle. The driver was waiting for us: "You check out while I load your bags" he said. Prompt and swift, the checkout was perfect: total with tax: $133.23. Three minutes later, just us again on the shuttle, we were in front of the Qantas departure area: first in line so as to procure our First Class upgrades! Which we did, and that's how I happen to be in the QF lounge, now, having continental breakfast and coffee, posting this report on their free computers!

Bottom line: the Best Western Airport Hotel met or exceeded everything we needed in an overnight airport accomodation, from airport arrival to departure, and I unhesitatingly recommend it to fellow FTers with similar needs. We would not hesitate to stay there again, and fully intend to.

Well, our JQ4 flight was delayed one hour, from 0815 to 0910, so I figured posting this review now, instead of waiting 'til I got home would make the time go by faster, and it sure did!

Thanks jtkauai, for giving us the heads up about the JQ sale, last September: that's the reason we're here now!

Aloha, and seeyou in Sydney!!!!!

kaukau
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Great report kauakau - you're making this a very tempting option for our return flight! Based on all previous reports, I was still considering the Ilikai (love it) @$150+tax or something basic in HNL.

As you've arranged a StarClass upgrade, I can't wait for that report.

It's a beautiful Autumn day - see you here soon!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:13 am

Yes that was a great trip report kaukau. Things sound a bit better at the hotel than the last time we were there (perhaps 2 years).

That's great about the upgrade, although you are going to be toast from getting up so early and flying so long. I'd be envious except that we won't eat airline food anyway, had 3 seats, the (very nice) Air New Zealand lounge which had both nice food and good showers, and best of all, the 40,000 HA points.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Have to agree about Ninja Sushi. And, having the Jamba Juice there is a big plus for me when I'm flying out. The shopping center is great place to wait if you're picking folks from the airport up.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:28 am

I saw a report (but now can't find it) that the Honolulu Airport Hotel had now completed their renovations too.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai
The HNL airport hotels are really a mess. BW is the least messy I guess (haven't been for about a year, before their "remodel"), but the area and these hotels attract a lot of vagrants. Don't be wandering outside at night folks, this ain't Waikiki. We've sworn that the next time we come back in the middle of the night and are waiting for our first out flight in the morning, we're just going to sit it out at the airport (yes, that's how bad they are).

ps: cblaisd, we're laughing with you about pacific marina. it is disgusting (and yes, nice grounds). i trust you didn't even look out your window or step outside, as that is usually even worse even than what's inside the rooms. with any luck the police were around arresting people at the hotel, so you had them there if needed.
I walked around the area with friends and its not bad at all. We walked to byrons and L&L all the way down to nimitz to catch a bus at 10 pm with kids and its not bad. My friend stayed at Honolulu airport hotel is not bad but the staff is okay.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
....The shopping center is great place to wait if you're picking folks from the airport up.
I would think so, but the one time I tried it I actually didn't try it because I always get lost trying to get there. I am probably alone in finding the immediate area near the terminal very confusing.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I would think so, but the one time I tried it I actually didn't try it because I always get lost trying to get there. I am probably alone in finding the immediate area near the terminal very confusing.
Well I'll admit that the Airport Trade Center is a little out of the way and nestled underneath the freeway on-/off-ramps. So I wouldn't say you're alone in finding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.