Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Luau on the Big Island" thread

Old Sep 27, 2002, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend the best luau on Big Island?
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:11 am

granted, we only went to one, but we really enjoyed the one we went to in June at the former Hilton (i think now it's the Royal Kona Hotel) in Kona proper. went last year, the food was really good, and you got to go back for seconds (plus drinks). show was fun too, and the backdrop was the ocean. think it runs like $54. sending my parents to that one next year, since there wasn't anything i thought they could have done better (sure luaus are all touristy, but this one wasn't overly cheasy).

make sure you get a copy of the book "the big island revealed". totally indespensable for the Big Island.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by palex:
Can anyone recommend the best luau on Big Island?</font>
Old Oct 3, 2002, 11:56 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Yes that must have been the Royal Kona Resort you were visiting, on the south side of town.

Http://www.HawaiianHotels.com/Web/Ma...u.cfm?Orig=RKR

I was at the luau about 3 weeks ago when it started to sprinkle and was surprised as it doesn't rain often there. We were handed light plastic panchos but as soon as we put them on, the rain stopped.

My only complaint was that the poi looked just a bit too watery, but then again, never actually ever having poi before, I'm not much of an expert :-) The rest of the food was quite good and as "teammjs" said, everything else was great!

The pancho came in handy the next day when I went to the volcano and saw live lava flowing from the earth. It was a couple minute walk from the car, not a long hike as some have had to do.

I have a trip report posted on the Miles Trip report at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/003084.html and posted some lava photos, but never thought to grab any of the luau. Perhaps in the spirit of Flyer Talk, I should fly back out there right away and snap some photos to post here?
Old Oct 3, 2002, 8:01 pm

My grandfather liked 3-finger poi the best. The consistency is measured by how many fingers it takes to get it to your mouth. I never acquired the taste.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We went to the Island Breeze luau in Kona.
http://www.hawaii-luaus.com/bigisle.htm

It's reasonably priced and fun. It's oceanside at the site of the king's old home. We liked it because it's a small luau...no massive stage...long lines, etc. The performers were friendly, the food's good and the bartender will juice up your mai tai's to your liking. Check out the local discount books, you can usually find a coupon for a free luau video. Also, check out the world record men's/women's marlins displayed in the hotel next door. Imagine a volkswagen stuffed and mounted...
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:07 pm

one other thing i forgot to mention-- if you go to the Royal Kona, try to find a copy of the tourist handout "101 things to do on the Big Island". only saw one at a restaurant near the volcano, but they had a coupon for (i believe) $11 off the luau. used it for both of us, so basically got the cheasy (but still de riguer) luau photo free.

interestingly, it rained on us too. totally clear, and they were fairly ominous in pointing to a "no refund" sign as we checked in. thought at the time how ridiculous. well, about 30 min. before the end it started sprinkling. only nice thing is that it's a cool mist and not sticky, and i don't think you get major down pours much near Kona, but it certainly shorted out a few video cameras for those that didn't think to bring a covering!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:37 pm

Another Luau Question - HWV vs. Kona Village Resort

I have heard that the luau at the Kona Village Resort is more authentic. Is it that much better than the one at HWV?

Thanks for any comments.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:19 pm

the one at the Royal Kona in town was nice. ocean for a backdrop, and i believe cheaper than the other two. my wife and i as well as my parents have been to this one (two seperate trips) and the food and show were about as good as i think we could have expected.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bamboola:
I have heard that the luau at the Kona Village Resort is more authentic. Is it that much better than the one at HWV?

Thanks for any comments.
</font>
Old Jul 29, 2003, 2:05 pm

We just returned from a stay at the HWV and passed on their luau in favor of the luau at the nearby Marriott Outrigger Waikoloa.

Prices were comparable (and the entertainmnet at both shows was produced by the same company, leading me to believe that it was essentially the same show).

My determining factor was the the Marriott offered unlimited drinks (all types of liqour) while the HWV only offered one drink with the admission price.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:57 am

Best Luau in Hawaii (the big island)

Hello,

13 days and I will be in Hawaii.

I want to attend a Luau at the Big Island. Has anyone attended muliple Luas? I wonder if there is a difference between different ones. Anyone have any that they can recommend. I will be staying on the Kona side of the big island.

Here are my preferences.

01). Outdoor Luau
02). Kids get in free
03). Done at the beach

Any information like web site reservations etc. would be helpful.

Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 5:24 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
A search reveals this topic was discussed a few months ago...

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000132.html

Perhaps others will share RECENT experiences.

Aloha.

Old Aug 11, 2003, 2:04 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I basically was forced to endure the one at the Hilton Waikoloa last Friday since I was there with 17 in-laws that had never been in Hawaii before. It was seriously corny with mediocre food. Don't do it unless you adore such things (half the in-laws pretended it was good, the other half admitted it was lame after spending $68/person.)
Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:55 pm

What is the Best Luau on the Big Island?

What is the best, regardless of price?
What is the best price for what you get?
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jack:
What is the best, regardless of price?
What is the best price for what you get?
</font>
I think the Kona Village Resort offers the best luau on the big island. Here is a link. Scroll down to close to the bottom of the page for a full description of the Friday night luau.
http://www.konavillage.com/dining.asp
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Select
Luau on the Big Island

Headed to the HWV with my wife and 5 yr old daughter at the end of August. My wife really wants to go to a luau to celebrate my 30th Birthday while we are over there. Any suggestions on what luau go to or which to stay away from? What type of costs am I looking at? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.