Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

HNL To Be Renovated Entirely: Improvements You Want to See at Honolulu Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL To Be Renovated Entirely: Improvements You Want to See at Honolulu Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Exclamation HNL To Be Renovated Entirely: Improvements You Want to See at Honolulu Airport?

I was looking for an article for my colleague cblaisd, when I came across this article entitled "Airport patching its tattered aloha".

I personally feel HNL has come a long way in the past few years, but I'd like to see the following changes:
  1. Better restaurant selection. Given the response on this forum for layovers at HNL, it seems prudent that HNL offer a restaurant that's decent.
  2. Better seating in garden area. This is a great place to spend your layovers reading a book, but the seating is rather shabby.
  3. An air conditioned check-in facility for the domestic terminal. How many times have you sweated lugging around your bags from curb to ag. check to check-in? The same could be said about the security checkpoints. I know it's Hawaii, but making it air conditioned would make it a nice cool expeirence.
  4. More varied non duty-free retail shops. MSP seems to have caught on with this idea...
  5. More organized security checkpoint. Perhaps with actual lines?

Would you recommend any changes?
------------------Edit-----------------------
FWIW, I read a Wikipedia article on HNL and revealed this information:

(1) First of all, they've got plans to really redo the terminal. Here's a new terminal map of the "12-year Expansion and Modernization of Airports of the State of Hawaii":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H...ernization.PNG
On March 24, 2006, Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle unveiled a $2.3 billion modernization program for Honolulu International Airport over a 12-year period. The plan involves implementing short-term projects within the first five years to improve passenger service and increase security and operational efficiencies. These include upgrades to the passenger terminals, ticket counters, baggage screening operations, runways and airport aprons, airport infrastructure such as air conditioning, restroom facilities, elevators, escalators, electrical systems, drains and sprinkler systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu_Airport

According to the rendering, it looks like there'll be no:
(1) commuter terminal
(2) Ewa concourse (as it exists now)
(3) Diamond Head concourse (as it exists now)
So, perhaps they're looking at throwing HA and/or AQ into the main terminal.

And, more information can be detailed from this PDF:
http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/headlines/...dernization%22
And, for the nitty gritty renovation updates:
http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/headlines/...dernization%22

It looks like ALL of Hawaii's airport will be getting a facelift, HNL getting a $1.9 billion dollar lift.

And, most surprising of all: Kona will get jetways.

Some of the pictures on that PDF look really promising. ^

Last edited by slippahs; Sep 10, 2006 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta
Thanks for the opportunity Slippahs! A few times a year I pass through HNL, usually between the west coast and Japan. In addition to your great suggestions, I'd like to see the following:

- More shady spots for sitting in the garden area.
- A return of the museum. Maybe the military could do a Pearl Harbor display or something.
- Shower/hourly stay rooms.
- Game room for kids. Other airports have these with free video games, sponsored by the video game manufacturers.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nishimark
Thanks for the opportunity Slippahs! A few times a year I pass through HNL, usually between the west coast and Japan. In addition to your great suggestions, I'd like to see the following:

- More shady spots for sitting in the garden area.
- A return of the museum. Maybe the military could do a Pearl Harbor display or something.
- Shower/hourly stay rooms.
- Game room for kids. Other airports have these with free video games, sponsored by the video game manufacturers.
Good ideas! Only, now that they've renovated the terminal a bit, the existing location of the museum has been transformed into duty free shops. So I wouldn't know where HNL would put a museum. It was a nice place to just spend some extra time on layovers.

I completely agree about the shower rooms as well. I know this has been discussed a bit in the past, and although it isn't completely related to HNL itself, but the airport area could use a regular airport hotel, perhaps an HGI-type hotel with a national brand (e.g., Hilton, Sheraton, etc.). It doesn't have to be big, just needs to be there.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta
Is the area around gates 6-11 fully used? I don't go down there too often, though sometimes international flights will land there and then we take the Wiki Wiki to immigration.

What is in the building in the middle of the gardens?

Is there a plan to build gates 1-5 some day?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I must be the only person who likes the airport just as it is.

Nothing beats getting out of the plane after an 11 hour flight and being smacked in the face with the wonderful scent of Hawaii. I like the little heat that's there.

I guess I don't spend enough time in the airport for the amenities to really matter, but the suggestions you've made seem quite reasonable - particularly shower/rest facilities that could be rented for a certain number of hours.

As for me, I stay outside as long as I possibly can before having to head home . It's a rarity to be able to do so in most airports these days. Outside is also outside of security, and no one wants to go through THAT more than once.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Is the area around gates 6-11 fully used? I don't go down there too often, though sometimes international flights will land there and then we take the Wiki Wiki to immigration.
I believe 6-11 are extensively used by UA and other international carriers along with NW during the afternoons. So, yes, there is activity there that probably won't be a good place for a museum.
What is in the building in the middle of the gardens?
It's actually meeting spaces on the ground level (that's rarely used...) and the restaurant/Burger King/Chinese food place/Ice Cream store on the second floor. The floors above that are all administrative offices that lead to the big "Aloha" sign underneath the old control tower.
Is there a plan to build gates 1-5 some day?
There were plans to build gates 1-5 and also extend the domestic terminal the other way all the way to the interisland terminal.

They did extend it a few gates in the last decade, but the building of the Aloha Air terminal and no apparent need for extra gates stopped the terminal extensions.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:21 pm
MeNoSay

I vote for a large outdoor patio/bar/restaurant with good food and drinks.

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
I think the Airport is going Smoke Free Nov. 1, yes/no? THAT is a big improvement. I don't love the smell of JP7, Diesel fuel, and cigarettes in the morning!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaukau
I think the Airport is going Smoke Free Nov. 1, yes/no? THAT is a big improvement. I don't love the smell of JP7, Diesel fuel, and cigarettes in the morning!
Actually, there's a state-wide law stating that all public places will go smoke free come Nov. 16th, not just the airport.

As a non-smoker, I think this is a great idea. My smoking buddies won't agree, however.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:07 pm

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Nobody has mentioned the obvious yet . . .

My vote for what has to change - first and foremost - the Wiki Wiki has got to go!

Replace this completely disfuntional excuse for a people mover with an unattended train ala SFO and life would be infinitely improved.

Oh, while we're at it, how about 'real' international immigration system? You know, something other than colleting everyone up in Wiki's and driving them to the quarantine area? A two tier system separating arrving from departing pax is the obvious answer. Both more pleasant and much more secure.

Lihue1k
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lihue1k
Oh, while we're at it, how about 'real' international immigration system? You know, something other than colleting everyone up in Wiki's and driving them to the quarantine area? A two tier system separating arrving from departing pax is the obvious answer. Both more pleasant and much more secure.
Based on the PDF, it looks like this is the intent of at least a part of the renovations. ^
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:58 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by slippahs
Actually, there's a state-wide law stating that all public places will go smoke free come Nov. 16th, not just the airport.

As a non-smoker, I think this is a great idea. My smoking buddies won't agree, however.
I'm not sure this is a good idea, what is the percentage of asian visitors does HNL have and what is the percentage of them that smoke?

Just coming back from HNL today (yes I landed during the day the military knocked the pedestrian walkway, good think I was going to waikiki and not to pearl city like I do sometimes) and there was tons of asian tourists smoking away just like always.

I don't want to get into a debate here over the health subject but I just think it would be good if they could do something like LAX or GUM or such that has an area for the smokers who are the visitors to the area. I'm not saying they have to be like LV but one area locked off for the smokers would be good.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
As for improvements to the airport itself I think you hit the nail on the head with your write up. Shower / and restaurant being the biggest issue in my mind. It's pretty sad when the food on the airplane is about the same as the food you can get in the airport. And having long layovers in HNL and GUM I've been pestering CO pres club to see if there is anyway they could put in showers there in their club rooms. I miss the old sleep / shower place in the HNL airport.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:17 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I like the airport just the way it is. Come on, it's Hawaii! It's supposed to be warm!

Re KOA, I like boarding planes without jetways. It's more "real". Besides, what is the point if the waiting area is still at ground level? Is walking up stairs any different than walking up a long indoor hallway?

Originally Posted by kaukau
So just the JP7 and diesel by itself is better?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JS
Re KOA, I like boarding planes without jetways. It's more "real". Besides, what is the point if the waiting area is still at ground level? Is walking up stairs any different than walking up a long indoor hallway?
I think it's more for making KOA more ADA accessible and covering the tourists in case of rain.

Still, I really enjoy walking out on the tarmac. It's a great experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.