Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread

Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fa Hz
I was in May last year and went to Hanna, it was pouring (while sunny in the other side of the island) and it was impossible to see absolutely anything. I want to go back when it's not raining, I wonder if its that difficult to catch the road in a non-rainy day, or it's always raining? The typical weather apps were not very useful last time.
We just came back from a week in Maui. Honestly, the drive was pretty, but everything else I found to be highly overrated. Every single stream we passed was practically dry. The waterfalls were all meh. The road to Hana was just fine. The road past Hana requires some concentration but was very doable and not white knuckle. Our Mustang rental was comfortable and posed no problems. The short gravel section was in excellent condition and as soon as you hit blacktop again, it was brand new, baby bottom smooth blacktop. We had a few sprinkles, but nothing major.

We left at around 630am out of Kaanapali. The vast majority of stands and attractions were still closed after 10am.

Now, I was far, far more impressed by the volcanic side than the rain forest side.

I have to add, I live in a wet, jungly area and that probably clouded my perception. I don't get all that excited over waterfalls anymore. I suspect most people from the PNW will share my feelings.

Do yourself a favor and make a pit stop at Tedeschi winery, do some wine tasting and walk over the road to the little cafe and have a bite to eat. We had their Kalua pig sandwich and deer burger. Both were magnificant.

If you are a city dweller and never leave a 6 lane highway, it will be a great trip. I can now say I've done it, but I'm not sure I'd like to do it again. I'd rather drive up to the Haleakala summit again.

ETA: about the gravel section, I actually commented that our gravel road to get to our house (also twisty, one lane) was in worse shape. My husband's comment the entire time: "It's like a paved logging road!"
polyesther and RedSun like this.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by CBear
We just came back from a week in Maui. Honestly, the drive was pretty, but everything else I found to be highly overrated. Every single stream we passed was practically dry. The waterfalls were all meh. The road to Hana was just fine. The road past Hana requires some concentration but was very doable and not white knuckle. Our Mustang rental was comfortable and posed no problems. The short gravel section was in excellent condition and as soon as you hit blacktop again, it was brand new, baby bottom smooth blacktop. We had a few sprinkles, but nothing major.

We left at around 630am out of Kaanapali. The vast majority of stands and attractions were still closed after 10am.

Now, I was far, far more impressed by the volcanic side than the rain forest side.

I have to add, I live in a wet, jungly area and that probably clouded my perception. I don't get all that excited over waterfalls anymore. I suspect most people from the PNW will share my feelings.

Do yourself a favor and make a pit stop at Tedeschi winery, do some wine tasting and walk over the road to the little cafe and have a bite to eat. We had their Kalua pig sandwich and deer burger. Both were magnificant.

If you are a city dweller and never leave a 6 lane highway, it will be a great trip. I can now say I've done it, but I'm not sure I'd like to do it again. I'd rather drive up to the Haleakala summit again.

ETA: about the gravel section, I actually commented that our gravel road to get to our house (also twisty, one lane) was in worse shape. My husband's comment the entire time: "It's like a paved logging road!"
It's a road best traveled the day AFTER it rains. And as a fellow resident of the PNW, I'll just say that it's a different kind of pretty. YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by seaduck79
It's a road best traveled the day AFTER it rains. And as a fellow resident of the PNW, I'll just say that it's a different kind of pretty. YMMV.
I definitely liked the drier, volcanic side. That was great.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:37 pm

We were really frightened by the cliffs on the narrow back roads without guard rails. Did this past Hana trip around the volcanic side about 10 years ago, still the same?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:29 pm

how far is it from hyatt, andaaz or the hilton and other chains?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
how far is it from hyatt, andaaz or the hilton and other chains?
Not to be snarky, but you might consult a map. The short answer is that there is an entire volcano between Wailea and Hana, and it's even farther away from Ka'anapali. Hana is, at very least, an entire day trip.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
We were really frightened by the cliffs on the narrow back roads without guard rails. Did this past Hana trip around the volcanic side about 10 years ago, still the same?
It's still the same. Honestly, it's such a short section. If you're not the driver, close your eyes for the few twists and turns.

It would be a shame to miss everything beyond Hana because of a few turns.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by seaduck79
Not to be snarky, but you might consult a map. The short answer is that there is an entire volcano between Wailea and Hana, and it's even farther away from Ka'anapali. Hana is, at very least, an entire day trip.
Not to be snarky, but it's a valid question.

It's going to be a lot faster to get to Hana from Wailea than from Kaanapali.

Or perhaps the poster meant from the Wailea area to the "start" of the RTH? In which case the answer is significantly closer than Ka'napali.

Like I said earlier, we left Ka'anapali at 630am. We made short stops at places that interested us, stopped for some wine tasting and lunch at Tedeschi and still made it back to our hotel before the sun was down. If we had started in the Wailea area, our trip would have been much shorter.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CBear
Not to be snarky, but it's a valid question.

It's going to be a lot faster to get to Hana from Wailea than from Kaanapali.

Or perhaps the poster meant from the Wailea area to the "start" of the RTH? In which case the answer is significantly closer than Ka'napali.

Like I said earlier, we left Ka'anapali at 630am. We made short stops at places that interested us, stopped for some wine tasting and lunch at Tedeschi and still made it back to our hotel before the sun was down. If we had started in the Wailea area, our trip would have been much shorter.
HANA sounds like a hours of driving and sight seeings!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
HANA sounds like a hours of driving and sight seeings!
It is ALL driving and sight seeing. Nothing really to see or do in Hana town itself.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

anyone know of good Road To Hana tour company?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hchang2017
anyone know of good Road To Hana tour company?

Valley Isle Excursions: https://www.tourmaui.com/

12 passenger vans, Captain's Chairs rather than bench seating and a hot lunch midway.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:40 pm

If you are going to Hawaii R2H (Road to hana is a must) it was one of the most fun thing we did when in Hawaii, it has been over a year but we still talk about road to hana! We have written a review of our trip to Hawaii (Stayed at Andaz Maui) and Road to hana overview to help others out, check out the blog by hitting signature link!
If there are any questions in particular feel free to post here or pm me!!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
We have 48 hours in Maui and are trying to plan our trip. We will tentatively land around 1:30pm and are planning to do the reverse/back way to Hana, overnighting there, then finishing the rest of the drive the next morning before staying in Wailea the second night.

My question: is landing at 1:30 then driving the back way/volcanic side to Hana doable? Will we be doing the treacherous parts of the drive in the dark? Is it too exhausting to do after a 10 hour flight?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
We have 48 hours in Maui and are trying to plan our trip. We will tentatively land around 1:30pm and are planning to do the reverse/back way to Hana, overnighting there, then finishing the rest of the drive the next morning before staying in Wailea the second night.

My question: is landing at 1:30 then driving the back way/volcanic side to Hana doable? Will we be doing the treacherous parts of the drive in the dark? Is it too exhausting to do after a 10 hour flight?
I know this does not answer your questions, but you should check out this recent article on the issues with traffic and illegal parking - https://bigislandgazette.com/hta-working-to-mitigate-visitor-impact-on-road-to-hana/

Last edited by hawaii-bound; Jul 8, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.