Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks so much fot the advice, is the Hotel Hana the only one in the area?
There's Hana Kai.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrhanakai.html
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Hotel Hana Kai is awesome. It's the only place I've stayed in Hana, so I can't give you a comparison, but I loved it. I stayed in Unit:#2 Popolana. It's beach front. Keep in mind, the beach near Hana isn't for swimming. It's rough waters, but really beautiful.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
2 hours to Hana?

Not even from Paia. If you had a Porsche, a wide open road, didn't stop at all, and knew the road well, you STILL probably couldn't get from Paia to Hana in 2 hours. I have made this drive 3 times. The first time, I was alone and pretty much did have the road to myself, and it took 3 hours. The 15 mph speed limit is useless, because you can't go faster than that on much of it anyway, and it gets crowded.

But if you're in a hurry, you'll miss so much. Make it a day trip to get to Hana, stop frequently along the way to buy banana bread, take pictures, have lunch there, take some side roads to some beautiful beaches, and then head back in the late afternoon.

Local tip: Go the day AFTER it has rained. That will make the waterfalls run that day, which makes the trip more picturesque.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Does anyone know if there are MP3s of the tour (or an App?) available? I used a tape 10 years ago, and am hoping technology has helped advance this at least a little bit
Old May 10, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Can I drive to Hana in an economy car? Or should I rent atleast a standard?
Old May 10, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kyunbit
You can drive to Hana in Smart Fortwo if you wanted. An economy car would be fine--it's not like you need a four-wheel drive or anything to get out there (the road is fine; it's just very twisty). The factor would be your comfort. If the price differential isn't much, I'd spring for the larger car, just because they're more comfortable.

Although if anything, a smaller car may be easier to negotiate around the many turns...
Old May 10, 2011, 4:56 pm

I have driven that road in vehicles of various sizes, and smaller is better, for a few reasons:

1) Easier to negotiate the narrowness of the road. Often, two cars have to fit on a one-lane road.
2) Easier on gas. Hana has a gas station, but it was $6.03/gallon last weekend. Fill up in Paia and you will be fine for the round trip.
3) Easier to park at the many small roadside pullouts than larger vehicles. For that reason, a 4 dr is better, because the doors don't open as wide.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You can drive whatever you like on either road to Hana, despite the warnings you see on some maps about the southern route on the Kula and Piilani highways. The Piilani highway is in bad shape in parts, and it's a dirt road for a few miles. Still, any car can handle it.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by perlman007
Does anyone know if there are MP3s of the tour (or an App?) available? I used a tape 10 years ago, and am hoping technology has helped advance this at least a little bit
There are lots of places in Lahaina and Paia and Kahului where you can buy a self-guided CD for ~$20. We bought one once - I would say that it was somewhat informative.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:28 am

You could probably find a used CD of the "Road to Hana" for cheap on e-bay.

Also, several years ago, friends of ours did the Hana circuit in a convertible and ended up with a flat tire on the part past Hana. The rental came with a spare tire, but not the necessary tools. Tow truck eventually arrived at 2 or 3 in the morning. It cost them several hundred dollars for the tow and the rental car company wouldn't accept any of the charges. Yes, it was their fault that there were no tools in the car, but since the customer went outside the service area, they wouldn't pay for the tow.

So proceed with caution. I, for one, wouldn't drive the road PAST Hana in anything but an SUV or jeep. It was very pitted.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
cheap one night accommodations?

I have decided to incorporate a trip to Hana into our upcoming 11 day visit to Maui. I will be traveling with a seven and 10 year old, so I prefer to overnight in Hana.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced accomodations for three people for a mid-week stay?
Old May 14, 2011, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Recreation
You could probably find a used CD of the "Road to Hana" for cheap on e-bay.

Also, several years ago, friends of ours did the Hana circuit in a convertible and ended up with a flat tire on the part past Hana. The rental came with a spare tire, but not the necessary tools. Tow truck eventually arrived at 2 or 3 in the morning. It cost them several hundred dollars for the tow and the rental car company wouldn't accept any of the charges. Yes, it was their fault that there were no tools in the car, but since the customer went outside the service area, they wouldn't pay for the tow.

So proceed with caution. I, for one, wouldn't drive the road PAST Hana in anything but an SUV or jeep. It was very pitted.
I agree, must beware going past Hana on the Road.. the car rental agreement specifically states to stay on pavement at all times.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by loomis
I have decided to incorporate a trip to Hana into our upcoming 11 day visit to Maui. I will be traveling with a seven and 10 year old, so I prefer to overnight in Hana.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced accomodations for three people for a mid-week stay?
The only reasonably priced accommodations in Hana would be something you brought yourself. The hotels there are expensive, and often require multiple night stays.

That being said, there's no reason you couldn't make Hana a day trip. Start off early in the morning to beat the tour buses to Paia, and stave off carsickness by using the roadside pullouts every few minutes (we have done this) to take pictures or visit a roadside stand selling homemade banana bread or jewelry, etc., all of which are worth stopping for. Have lunch at one of several places in Hana (we bought plate lunches from a local youth group fund-raising once), explore the town a bit to get the atmosphere of "Old Hawaii", take some side roads to see some literally deserted and gorgeous beaches, and then take your time heading back. You will get back late, but it definitely can be done.

If it hasn't rained the few days before, don't bother going all the way to the "seven pools". The waterfalls won't be running much, and the pools won't be that impressive. It will also extend your trip by at least an hour or two. If you choose to go anyway, and it is a nice day, it will give your kids a place to burn off some energy, as there are lots of trails both up the river to see the pools and down to the beach.

One other piece of advice to anyone traveling with kids - there aren't many official bathrooms along the way. Use every one you find.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by loomis

I think spending the night sounds like a great plan. Obviously the Hotel Hana is there, but it's quite pricey. There are two more reasonably priced alternatives: Hana Oceanfront Cottages and Hana Kai.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ui_Hawaii.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrhanakai.html

Be sure to bring your boogie boards because the body surfing at Hamoa Beach is outstanding, though perhaps too rough for a 7 year old.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:37 pm

The thing about Hana that many don't get is that it is different than most of the rest of Hawaii, and of Maui. It is not a place to go to DO. It is a place you go to BE. It is a place where you can let Hawaii come to you, if you let it.

Let it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.